• Hazard (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

So strange to see a Chelsea manager say he wants one centre midfielder and two wingers on the bench. I love it.

This also confirms Moses is a winger in Sarri's eyes and (most likely) ahead of Hudson-Odoi in the pecking order.

1 minute ago, xPetrCechx said:

Just sort out the defence and we are ok.

It's going to be a long process... Formation changes are NEVER easy on defenders and defensive mids who have to do the covering. On top of that we have new players AND a new GK.

Get ready and remain calm... :)

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

I thought Barkley got a lot of hate today, and some were particularly blaming the meltdown in the 15 minute period on him. Hardly fair. Honestly thought Kante and Jorg were the ones that let us down in that 15 minute stretch. 

Thought he played well, and that play where he flicked the ball up and had a shot at Cech was one of my favourite plays of the game. 

Probably because he gave the ball away leading to their first goal. A lucky goal in the end for them, but started from Ross's error. 

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Probably because he gave the ball away leading to their first goal. A lucky goal in the end for them, but started from Ross's error. 

Was it only Ross though? I mean it was a weak pass, but Willian stood there waiting for it all the same. Only when the ball was intercepted did he deem to move.

Just now, Robguima said:

Was it only Ross though? I mean it was a weak pass, but Willian stood there waiting for it all the same. Only when the ball was intercepted did he deem to move.

I'll have to watch it again then but it looked to me like it was on Ross. At no point did I think Willian was to blame but maybe I'll see it differently with the replays.

Jorginho was excellent again but I do see people here and there having a pop at him for his defending. You have to remember that in this system he's basically by himself on an island in midfield. When the ball turns over quickly that's when he's vulnerable because Kante will be up high pressing.

Just something we have to work on.

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'll have to watch it again then but it looked to me like it was on Ross. At no point did I think Willian was to blame but maybe I'll see it differently with the replays.

Fair enough. yeah my initial impression was that Willian did not move towards the ball at all. Kinda hoping arsenal player would miss the interception.

Would like to watch it again from a different angle, but that was my impression.

That was also in midfield with plenty of players behind the ball. So, while an unforced error, not really the end of the world IMO.

32 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Luiz is an enigma. He's very important when Chelsea are in possession as his passing game gives Chels an edge offensively. But his defending is suspect and he can let you down from time to time.

Christensen is the better defender (though he lacks that physicality Luiz brings) but doesn't offer that edge Luiz does, making Chelsea weaker offensively.

If Christensen manages to get that weight up, he'll force himself into the team.

Chelsea needs to give him a £10K gift cert to https://www.gymnordic.com/category/weight-mass-gainer.html :P

8 minutes ago, Robguima said:

Fair enough. yeah my initial impression was that Willian did not move towards the ball at all. Kinda hoping arsenal player would miss the interception.

Would like to watch it again from a different angle, but that was my impression.

That was also in midfield with plenty of players behind the ball. So, while an unforced error, not really the end of the world IMO.

No, I think it was a bad error. The mistake was marginal in that another quarter of a metre on the ball and it would have launched an attack but in that situation, playing the ball square with the press on, you have to get the weight of pass right. After that they were running at a wrong footed back four, and also benefitted from a deflection which fell perfectly for them. To cap it all, it looked to me like Kepa got a hand to the shot.

One mistake doesn't determine the quality of a performance, but it was a mistake by Ross all the same. It's only a question of whether Willian compounded the problem, or if he was blameless.

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Jorginho was excellent again but I do see people here and there having a pop at him for his defending. You have to remember that in this system he's basically by himself on an island in midfield. When the ball turns over quickly that's when he's vulnerable because Kante will be up high pressing.

Just something we have to work on.

What is your solution, as this seems UTTERLY key to the entire scheme?

Could not we drop Kante back further to give support to Jorginho (who gets no slag off from me, as you are 100% correct on the alone-on-an-island analysis)

It just seems an utter waste of Kante to not use him as the destroyer of midfields that he is, surely Kovacic is more than capable of going further forward (instead of Kante, or am I wrong,and BOTH need to go forward in Sarri's scheme?), as he is a a near WC (in potential) all-rounder in talent and skill.