Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

2 minutes ago, BlueLion. said:

I'm not defending him massively... he was at fault for the second goal and as a keeper myself (who isn't the tallest, either), I'd have certainly tried to attack the cross for Herrera's goal. 

He's had some excellent moments for us, and they far outweigh the negative, but he has been shaky the past few months. Who wouldn't be after the stuffings we've suffered recently? 

The one thing I'm not too pleased about at the moment is Kepa not coming for crosses when he should. That was one thing Courtois did well for us, as much as I hate to admit it. 

In the bigger picture, don't think the back 4 and keeper have been in-sync all season TBH. Guess it's hard to when you do not know what the hell each person is going to do...

20 minutes ago, BlueLion. said:

When your defence is as shit as ours, and the team is performing as poorly as it is, it's no wonder he's taken a dip with his own personal performances.

Alex ! I know you were/are a keeper. But that statue stance we all did at school and not even attempting a stop is shocking.

Willy would have been the better option tonight imo

3 hours ago, Mana said:

I’m going to give Kepa a pass this season because he is young and has room to improve. He should have done better with the 2nd goal though, I’m disappointed with that.

He’s decent at the moment. He is definitely a massive downgrade to Cech and snake, but he’s decent. It’s just a shame the back 4 are doing NO favours.

I disagree he's downgrade to Thibaut. For sure not massive like you said. Imagine snake in Sarriball?

19 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Alex ! I know you were/are a keeper. But that statue stance we all did at school and not even attempting a stop is shocking.

Willy would have been the better option tonight imo

From a technical point of view, we'd call it him being "flat-footed", a goalkeeper's set position should be almost on their tip-toes, with their weight coming forward. Kepa's footwork is very heavy, which is why for a few goals you see this season, his feet have been quite literally planted. Thibaut was the same, but his greater size and strength bailed him out quite often. It's an area of development. 

19 hours ago, Jason said:

The one thing I'm not too pleased about at the moment is Kepa not coming for crosses when he should. That was one thing Courtois did well for us, as much as I hate to admit it. 

In the bigger picture, don't think the back 4 and keeper have been in-sync all season TBH. Guess it's hard to when you do not know what the hell each person is going to do...

100% agreed. He is one of the least aggressive goalkeepers in the entire division, even Leno attacks crosser better than Kepa does. But let's remember the last Spanish goalkeeper that came from Spain and ended up being quite useless. He's now the (in my opinion, behind Oblak) the second best keeper on the planet. I'm not saying Kepa is guaranteed to do the same, but he has unreal potential and Real wanted him initially, remember. He will only get better, especially when this clown leaves!

22 hours ago, Robchels said:

Hmm while that can indeed negatively affect confidence, many GK have thrived and used the team in poor form to do really well and catch the attention of bigger clubs. I'm sure Kepa himself had such opportunity playing for a smaller team in Spain and attracting a Chelsea.

Goes both ways too: perhaps the defense is not confident with their goalie either.

I don't like his GK style and think he's too short for a top GK. Wish we had gone a diff direction, but oh well. Now I hope he improves.

Keppa is a long way from losing my confidence but I have not altered my point of view from the one I expressed in the summer. There is absolutely no way Keppa is £71m better than Marcin in my opinion. Italian managers love experience so it was never anything more than fantasy talk, but I'd have used the money on an outfield player and gone with the kid.

Out of Abramovich era first team keepers -Cudicini, Cech, Courtois, Kepa is the least talented imo. He isn't bad, but too ready in one on one situations to remain flat footed and not attempt a save. Just as some of our overpaid primas are getting slated, he also should not be off the hook.

19 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Out of Abramovich era first team keepers -Cudicini, Cech, Courtois, Kepa is the least talented imo.

We've certainly had some quality keepers.  Being least talented out of that quartet isn't something to be ashamed of.  I think it's a bit harsh though.  I'd wait a season or two.

22 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Out of Abramovich era first team keepers -Cudicini, Cech, Courtois, Kepa is the least talented imo. He isn't bad, but too ready in one on one situations to remain flat footed and not attempt a save. Just as some of our overpaid primas are getting slated, he also should not be off the hook.

Pardon me if I'm being biased but what exactly was Courtois good at for us, apart from dominating our box aerially? 

2 minutes ago, kc_blue said:

We've certainly had some quality keepers.  Being least talented out of that quartet isn't something to be ashamed of.  I think it's a bit harsh though.  I'd wait a season or two.

I don't think our board has it in them to wait for two seasons

Just now, Jason said:

Pardon me if I'm being biased but what exactly was Courtois good at for us, apart from dominating our box aerially? 

You're pardoned. :D

I was looking at the ten conceded against Citeh and Bournemouth, pretty certain Big Nose would have stopped at least 3, (the rest would have gone through his legs)

The mistakes he has made this season (mainly combination of butterfingers and weak wrists) are perfectly normal for a goalkeeper of his age. Yeah he was bought for a world record fee but doesn't change the biological fact that he's only 24 years old. In goalkeeping terms he's still a teenager. If those mistakes do not disappear from his game within the next 3-4 seasons then we might have a problem but currently I'm not too worried about Kepa.

38 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

You're pardoned. :D

I was looking at the ten conceded against Citeh and Bournemouth, pretty certain Big Nose would have stopped at least 3, (the rest would have gone through his legs)

That's debatable. Courtois blew hot and cold when it comes to making saves and he also had a tendency to concede at his near post.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's debatable. Courtois blew hot and cold when it comes to making saves and he also had a tendency to concede at his near post.

It's definitely debateable. The point remains Kepa seems to get free pass in the current shambles.

3 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

It's definitely debateable. The point remains Kepa seems to get free pass in the current shambles.

He hasn't been entirely perfect but there are really more pressing concerns right now than Kepa.