• Barkley
    • Willian
    • Pedro
    • Morata
    • Loftus-Cheek (sub)
    • Hazard (sub)
    • Moses (sub)

1 minute ago, bigbluewillie said:

I disagree totally, I know he wasn't anything exceptional but all i'm looking for is some slight improvement over last performances, and I found him to be ever so slightly slightly better.

So for me i'm not going to give up on the guy, a couple of times he went down and was fouled, and he never went down anywhere like he usually does/did, and no yellow cards:D

But I thought his general play was an improvement.

Sounds exactly like what we used to say when we were discussing Torres. We want him to do good, so we tell ourselves about the "positive signals".

This kind of improvement is not enough, from my point of view. No goals, no assists and no signs of real confidence in his attitude. 

Hope we get to see more of Giroud real soon. 

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

I disagree totally, I know he wasn't anything exceptional but all i'm looking for is some slight improvement over last performances, and I found him to be ever so slightly slightly better.

So for me i'm not going to give up on the guy, a couple of times he went down and was fouled, and he never went down anywhere like he usually does/did, and no yellow cards:D

But I thought his general play was an improvement.

Agreed, the easy criticism will always be he didnt score. Once he gets one that should quiet it down for a bit. I thought he worked hard and had a positive game. There is obviously a massive confidence issue with him but as you said I didnt see any of those egregious fall downs. He ran hard and worked in the system, positive first game for me as well. The dude just needs a goal so damn badly.

2 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Sounds exactly like what we used to say when we were discussing Torres. We want him to do good, so we tell ourselves about the "positive signals".

This kind of improvement is not enough, from my point of view. No goals, no assists and no signs of real confidence in his attitude. 

I disagree with the attitude point, I thought he showed a good attitude. He worked hard in pressing when he could and didn't have any limp falls. Obviously those of us who are trying to support him are grasping at admittedly weaker straws but he has to start somewhere. If we are still praising just his effort in a month than I will start to give up, until then I think we need to look for these little positives.

6 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

Obviously those of us who are trying to support him are grasping at admittedly weaker straws but he has to start somewhere. If we are still praising just his effort in a month than I will start to give up, until then I think we need to look for these little positives.

I find it very difficult to understand why he has to start somewhere. He started somewhere exactly one year ago and he came back from that injury a few months ago. It's not like he's just returned on Saturday.

He had the end of last season and the pre-season to get ready. If this is all he can offer, I'd say we move on. Of course, it would be stupid to draw conclusions after only one game (two, actually), but I think you guys are being a little bit too optimistic. Do you really think we can count on this guy to be a constant scorer for us this season? Looking for the little positives is what we did for four years with Torres and it got us nowhere. 

A good striker is a good striker and you can just see it, you don't need tens of games for adjustment. Even when Drogba was struggling, his character and attitude were speaking volumes. Morata is just looking constantly anxious, even when he tries to seem tough. I'm not saying he's a bad striker, but I don't think he's a Chelsea-type of striker. We need bullies like Drogba and Costa. 

I hope that I'm wrong and that he starts scoring, but I just can't see it at this point. 

21 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

I find it very difficult to understand why he has to start somewhere. He started exactly one year ago and he came back from that injury a few months ago. It's not like he's just returned on Saturday.

He had the end of last season and the pre-season to get ready. If this is all he can offer, I'd say we move on. Of course, it would be stupid to draw conclusions after only one game (two, actually), but I think you guys are being a little bit too optimistic. Do you really think we can count on this guy to be a constant scorer for us this season? Looking for the little positives is what we did for four years with Torres and it got us nowhere. 

A good striker is a good striker and you can just see it, you don't need tens of games for adjustment. Even when Drogba was struggling, his character and attitude were speaking volumes. Morata is just looking constantly anxios, even when he tries to seem tough. 

I really hope that I'm wrong and that he starts scoring, but I just can't see it at this point. 

I agree i am being too optimistic but at this stage but its all i/we can be. I think some of your points are fair, but the reason i am holding out optimism is we are adapting to a newer friendly striker style which will take time. at the beginning of last season we all were marveling at Morata, he started like he was shot out of a cannon. He has the talent inside and we have seen it, its all mental right now. If he stunk for the entirety of last year rather than just the 2nd half I would be right there with you.

But basically he is who we have got, I am choosing to be extremely optimistic as I don't see the point in starting the season of in a negative mindset about a player who we absolutely need to perform.

I believe in fresh starts, new manager - new season - new number. If he can get a goal in the next couple of games he might be reinvigorated and drop some weight from his shoulders.  

I understand majority of people won't agree with this, but I am just trying to believe in him for the sake of the team and him as a player. I try to always be logical but in his case I am going to throw(Edit:typo) it out the window for a month or two. Just gotta believe!

11 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

I understand majority of people won't agree with this, but I am just trying to believe in him for the sake of the team and him as a player. I try to always be logical but in his case I am going to through it out the window for a month or two. Just gotta believe!

Fair enough.

3 hours ago, Cosmin said:

Yeah, we need a goal scorer like Giroud out there. He was really banging them in for fun at the WC.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, we need a goal scorer like Giroud out there. He was really banging them in for fun at the WC.

It's pointless to compare the WC-Giroud to Chelsea-Giroud. Giroud at FFF is pretty much like Benzema at Real Madrid. Even though Benzema is a striker his main task is not to score goals but to wrestle with defenders and help ronaldo. Giroud was a slave of Griezmann and Mbappe in the World Cup, no wonder they played so well.

23 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

It's pointless to compare the WC-Giroud to Chelsea-Giroud. Giroud at FFF is pretty much like Benzema at Real Madrid. Even though Benzema is a striker his main task is not to score goals but to wrestle with defenders and help ronaldo. Giroud was a slave of Griezmann and Mbappe in the World Cup, no wonder they played so well.

Let's get Mbappe and Griezmann in January!!!!!! LOLOLOL

A girl can dream.....

15 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Blimey Jorgi has over taken the wee baldy man for MOTM. and rightly so.

Wait till Mat starts! Get all 3 of them lads fighting for MOTM. Chuck Eden on the list and we have sime fun coming.

Hope the Wee Man scores against Arse, i'll say something I thought I never would Wee Man our top scorer:D

1 hour ago, bigbluewillie said:

Hope the Wee Man scores against Arse, i'll say something I thought I never would Wee Man our top scorer:D

Sarri was impressed with N’Golo Kante, who marked playing in a slightly more advanced role by scoring the opening goal to set us on the way to victory.

‘He is playing like a centre right-midfielder and I am very happy for the performance of Kante, especially when I think he only arrived with us on Monday,’ he enthused. ‘I am really very impressed.’

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/8/13/sarri--positive-points

Also sounds like our CBs will be Rudi and Luiz unless owt happens.

6 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

Tell me something, is Kovacic the intended 3rd midfielder?

Will he work alongside of Wee Man and Jorginho?

Fucking hope so what i've heard about him.

By all accounts he should as soon he adopts the Sarri phylosophy and comes to full fitness. 

While Jorginho is DLP, Kante b2b, Kovacic will be somewhat creative/dribbling mid, helping push the ball from midfield to attack. 

In napoli, Sarri had Jorginho, attacking CM Hamsik (Kovacic here) and hardworker Allan (Kante here), pretty similar type of players.

Kovacic after all has technique and pass ability to work nice in Sarri system. 

1 minute ago, BlueLyon said:

By all accounts he should as soon he adopts the Sarri phylosophy and comes to full fitness. 

While Jorginho is DLP, Kante b2b, Kovacic will be somewhat creative/dribbling mid, helping push the ball from midfield to attack. 

In napoli, Sarri had Jorginho, attacking CM Hamsik (Kovacic here) and hardworker Allan (Kante here), pretty similar type of players.

Kovacic after all has technique and pass ability to work nice in Sarri system. 

I'm liking it even more:)

Please Boss hurry and make it so.