• Moses (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Ampadu (sub)
    • Loftus-Cheek (sub)
    • Bulka (sub)
    • Bakayoko (sub)
    • Piazon (sub)

5 minutes ago, RoyalBlues said:

It certainly will get better and better once other players return. Not even Zidane could works his magic on this team who is without Hazard, Willian, Courtois, Bats, Kante, Giroud on it. That's 5 starter missing.

Thats what I am telling myself. LOLOL

If ever there was a HUGE opportunity for Bats, NOW IS IT!

He surely has to be better than Morata at this point.

I hope Sarri can work some magic.

RLC poor performance (not talking about the pen) I will chalk off to long post WC layoff.

Rudiger looks a rock, AC looked really good too, as did Ampadu.

I am not worried about CB much. LB is not so good. Alonso was shambles IMHO. I still cannot (normally do not have trouble at all) rate Emerson. He is so hard to judge.

Other than one horrid pass, Jorginho looked fine. Barkely and Pedro were non existent. CHO the star by far. Bakayoko at least made no huge errors. Azpi was low key, didnt do many overlaps. Bulka looked amazing for a 19yo with little experience. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that does need to be considered is Sarri has been training us for 2 weeks. In that time too we've travelled to Australia and back. This is going to be a work in progress and i don't expect us to fully click until we're a few weeks into the season. There are however some clear and positive signs in such a short space of time.

Disappointed for losing to Arsenal :( ... only respite is that it is just a friendly (damn it's still Arsenal) 

My 2 cents on the team:

- Odio has been the star in the pre-season. Loved the attitude and energy he has. Seriously making a claim for the first team. 

- We lacked leadership and organsation specially in the defense which is one of the reasons we conceded. 

- The shape of the team was what Sarri wants though it needs some work. With every passing session we should improve. 

- Bats over Morata if we dont sign a striker. Dont see Giroud fitting into Sarri's system. 

- We need players badly ... yes we would improve once you put Hazard & Kante in the eleven but there are major gaps which needs to be filled. 

... And less than a week to go before the window closes. 

28 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

One thing that does need to be considered is Sarri has been training us for 2 weeks. In that time too we've travelled to Australia and back. This is going to be a work in progress and i don't expect us to fully click until we're a few weeks into the season. There are however some clear and positive signs in such a short space of time.

Think its 19000 miles chelsea have travelled 

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If batshuayi can't come in and prove a better option than morata do we seriously have to start looking at one of our midfielders playing a false 9 role. Hazard or hudson-odoi doing a mertens?

Not ideal but then again morata is far from ideal.

pedro is the obvious choice.

10 minutes ago, Mana said:

Why are you guys disappointed that we lost to Arsenal FFS?

This was coming like I said in the first couple of pages. We aren't good enough. FFS, we still couldn't score than 1 goal.

Just be prepared to see these kind of performances next season. I mean it. Then you wouldn't be disappointed.

I could not care less about the loss in some meaningless preseason game.

I do care that our obvious weaknesses are looking worse each game

LB, GK (Bulka aside) RW, AMF, and especially Striker.

NONE of those are auto-fixed (other than GK with Courtois playing for one last hurrah then out the door on a free) by ANYONE missing (maybe maybe Willian at RW, if he isnt sold)

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Completely agree, but I fear this team has so many players that dont fit Sarri. Even after a while, with all instructions known, I feel some players wont be up to the task. Cesc pressing high? Alonso running up and down? Both are slow as hell and literaly cant play the way Sarri wants. Morata is plain awful too. As for CBs, we have soo soo many options, but hell I dont see single player that would be nailed on, dependable option. And that is my single biggest worry. We dont have a CB that could dictate the defence, which is absolutely crucial part. Crucial. Without strong defence, we will lose all important games. If you have a good CB, he can help the other guy and we have plenty of options for that. But when you have two suspect, inexperienced CBs, that can be big problem. Two seasons ago, we had Azpi as RCB and Cahill as LCB, something completely else compared to what we have right now (Luiz who is suspect in 2 CB system, inexperienced Zouma and Christensen, Rudiger who is somewhat hit and miss and past it Cahill. There isnt single out and out class CB. Caldara and Rugani that we have been linked with dont fit that bill either.

Why are you guys disappointed that we lost to Arsenal FFS?
This was coming like I said in the first couple of pages. We aren't good enough. FFS, we still couldn't score more than 1 goal.
Just be prepared to see these kind of performances next season. I mean it. Then you wouldn't be disappointed.

We were all over to being with and should have been leading 2-0 within 15 mins. The issue is having someone leading the line that has no right to.

I'd prefer a false nine or Tammy to start against City tbh.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Pressing and midfield should look better when Kante and even Willian are back. Not concerned about that.

I am very concerned about where the bulk of our goals will come from as well as our defending in wide areas.

Indeed. Strong defensive pair and regular goalscorer. We have to fix that. Id give Emerson a chance, becuse Alonso is waay too slow for Sarri system. Rudiger is probably first choice CB and we need to find his partner quick and work on it. As for striker, Morata looks unreliable as ever and I wouldnt count on Bats, he doesnt press enough to play under Sarri. But Higuain or Icardi are not answers either. Big dilemma.

Saw someone else suggest this but what about Willian for that Barkley role, I could see that working really well. Would be happy for him to stay and play that role, allowing Pedro to fight it out with CHO for RW.

Would just highlight our need for a top class striker even more. 

4 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Completely agree, but I fear this team has so many players that dont fit Sarri. Even after a while, with all instructions known, I feel some players wont be up to the task. Cesc pressing high? Alonso running up and down? Both are slow as hell and literaly cant play the way Sarri wants. Morata is plain awful too. As for CBs, we have soo soo many options, but hell I dont see single player that would be nailed on, dependable option. And that is my single biggest worry. We dont have a CB that could dictate the defence, which is absolutely crucial part. Crucial. Without strong defence, we will lose all important games. If you have a good CB, he can help the other guy and we have plenty of options for that. But when you have two suspect, inexperienced CBs, that can be big problem. Two seasons ago, we had Azpi as RCB and Cahill as LCB, something completely else compared to what we have right now (Luiz who is suspect in 2 CB system, inexperienced Zouma and Christensen, Rudiger who is somewhat hit and miss and past it Cahill. There isnt single out and out class CB. Caldara and Rugani that we have been linked with dont fit that bill either.

For me the two biggest holes in the team are centre forward and left back.

I understand your point on Fabregas but to me he looks probably the fittest he's been since he's been at the club and I still think he could do a job. I'm not expecting him to start every game and I am hoping that both Barkley and Loftus-Cheek take their own chances this season and one establishes themselves alongside Kante and Jorginho in what would be the 'first choice midfield'. He's not the quickest and most mobile but what Fabregas does have is the technical ability to play in this system, far more so than Bakayoko and Drinkwater and I would far rather have him as an option for the midfield than not.

Centre back I can understand your point, I just think some of the players need to be given the chance, particularly in what is a huge transition phase, to see if they can make that step. In particular I'm looking at Rudiger and Christensen out of everyone as the eventual centre half partnership and off the back end of last season, I would hope Rudiger continues to develop to become that leader at the back. We do also have Azpilicueta at full back who should still be crucial in the leadership and organisation of that backline and things will also improve with a more influential keeper behind them to also help organise them.

Alonso is a huge worry as a point for teams to target and even a number of the smaller teams in the league still have tricky, pacy wingers who could cause problems or run in behind of him.

The biggest problem bar none though is a goalscorer. It will take time to produce Sarri style performances for a full game, and if we don't kill teams off when we are on top and dominating we will struggle with challenging for the top 4 or beyond this season.

Morata was woeful tonight. Missed numerous chances and a penalty. Doesn't look happy and is not suited to this system. looked like a 3 legged Bambi on ice at times, and his penalty miss was poor. Overall though, Arsenal didn't really trouble us until we basically changed the whole starting side. One big plus was Hudson-Odoi.......A class act who caused problems all night.

Bakayoko came on an I dont think he even touched the ball. Needs to be moved on........Permanently..None of this loan shit and taking him back, cash out and accept a hit.

Dude, I completely agree with you. My problem is that, what we saw tonight was no surprise. 
We basically have Torres 2.0 leading the attack with no real support, and you expect to win? Us beating Arsenal would have been the surprise. That's how far we've fallen. Arsenal no longer fear us.

The fact he's been given as much time as he had to prove himself, says more about the predicament of the club than anything else.

Can't sign players that should be replacing such players and those individuals are coasting instead.

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think the key right now is maintaining the intensity throughout the entire 90 mins..

There was a drop in intensity in the first 45 itself, with the pressing. I think the players need to get used to doing that.

Also, there's no way to get around this lengthy season without rotation. At the moment, the there is a big gap in quality between the current starting 11 and the second choice

Chelsea played exciting football for about 25 minutes , then totally lost for the rest of the game. Morata need to be disposed quickly, cant even stand on his feet and fell all over the field. David Luiz needs to go too, keeping the ball and slowing the game. Alonso is far from his best, now struggling. And lastly ,the hair stylist, BAKO, SELL HIM IMMEADIATELY.

Again positives and negatives but Sarri has had little time due to his late appointment, we’ve had a lot of travelling and with world cup players not there to integrate as well as not getting a few players over the line I wouldn’t have expected anything else.

Pre-season isn’t important for results and even more when you consider a new manager and a big change in philosophy. People who are expecting an instant fix or change from Conte need a huge reality check. You can see why Sarri wants a center half of his choosing in as well as a striker and the talk of more MF reinforcements. Some of the guys aren’t buying the whole idea of keeping the ball under pressure in some areas and some of the team aren’t making the right passes or correct movements to create passing options but it’s going to be a gradual change. Top 4 is still easily obtainable and the minimum target id imagine, once the World Cup players return and the team adapts a bit more it will get better again. Also if Sarri is as good as we all think or know he is, it will be fine. 

Pre-season results in the last few years have always been dodgy for us in all fairness, these stupid international cup tournament things are purely for money. Also, Arsenal have had more time with their new manager as well, got signings done earlier, both which ultimately helps them with the integrating and training of their team. They didn’t look a lot better than us in any departments although in attack they moved the ball a bit quicker than we did at times and had more cutting edge in finding key passes but that is understandable when you have Ozil, Mkhitaryan, Aubamayang, Lacazette all available.