Jorginho

Unionjack

This could be controversial but if we don't get Sarri as our manager(looking highly unlikely) is Jorginho someone we absolutely need? He is a pass master who needs a particular type of system to be effective. Pep plays that system, we do not. I do not expect him, nor was he a particularly high target for me unless we secured Sarri.

I compare him to someone like Jean Seri, Seri is more useful to us as he is more mobile and has a knack for a long range goal while still providing tempo control and passing. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

It's a myth we use to miss out on targets.

We didn't get everyone we went for but it felt like we had alot more pulling power before now. The start of Romans Era, the revolution was an exciting prospect for any aspiring footballer. I'm sure players look at how we hire and fire thus resulting in instability in the dressing room, then look at what others are doing and would prefer their projects.

10 minutes ago, DDA said:

We didn't get everyone we went for but it felt like we had alot more pulling power before now. The start of Romans Era, the revolution was an exciting prospect for any aspiring footballer. I'm sure players look at how we hire and fire thus resulting in instability in the dressing room, then look at what others are doing and would prefer their projects.

Or clubs like City and Utd throw a ton of money at the problem and see if it sticks. If you scout well enough there's no reason to pay out loads of money. Also, we have a myriad of young talent, some of which are on loan currently. Frustrates me why people always want us to pay out ungodly amounts of money on young, unproven talent when we have our own. 

1 hour ago, It's too big said:

Or clubs like City and Utd throw a ton of money at the problem and see if it sticks. If you scout well enough there's no reason to pay out loads of money. Also, we have a myriad of young talent, some of which are on loan currently. Frustrates me why people always want us to pay out ungodly amounts of money on young, unproven talent when we have our own. 

I don't think we need to spend big amounts of money on young, unproven talent at all. We have that, like you said. What we need are World Class, proven talents in certain areas. 

1 hour ago, DDA said:

We attracted the young hungry players , but we never attracted a superstar bang in his prime and we tried (Ronaldinho, Deco, Vieri).

36 minutes ago, Tomo said:

We attracted the young hungry players , but we never attracted a superstar bang in his prime and we tried (Ronaldinho, Deco, Vieri).

What we seem to attract are youth team fodder. They see our accademy teams doing well so thats what they want. But they dont wonder what happens after the accademy.

Its sad that we never attract the class of player e need even IF we paid out for them.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:46 AM, El P. said:

Too good to be true...

His football IQ is imposing. Both game dictating, predicting open spaces and positioning himself while defending. He is not the strongest or the fastest, but workrate is there, running is there, and really big footballing brain is there.

I think he is good enough to play in midfield two. Hell, even Cesc sometimes played in midfield two, why couldn't this guy? Miles ahead of Cesc. And also, why the hell we have three CB-s if we cannot afford one midfielder like this?

(And, as far as I know, he is playing with Hamsik and some other DMF in midfield. You think Hamsik is helping more in defense than Willian or Pedro? Really doubt it.)

Hamsik does help more in defence yeah, and Jorginho doesn't play with another DMF. Allan is the other guy. Jorginho drops deep in defence to start the build up  for Sarri ball. Think of the role Busquets plays at Barca or Fernandinho at City.

50 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Except for defensive superstars in Maka and Cole, and then there's Sheva. Yes, we know what happened but he scored 26 and 28 goals in his final two seasons for Milan (in 80 games in total, which was extremely impressive pre-MessiRonaldo times). It was a mega signing and an extremely expensive one in those times.

Even Torres was a superstar in terms of status, although his fitness and form was already waning prior to the transfer.

Crespo was a very big signing as well btw.

I agree with what you're trying to say but Chels have definitely lost pulling power though. And that's because the money they offer simply isn't as impressive as it once was.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not so much us getting players bang in their prime but more us getting players who were hot on the market like Hazard, Cole, Robben ect.

If the recent coaching carousel is any indication this man is our new #1 target for Sarri. City is tempting for him but I have got to assume a top team in the PL with the coach who made him is equally tempting.

On 18/05/2018 at 8:04 PM, DYC. said:

Except for defensive superstars in Maka and Cole, and then there's Sheva. Yes, we know what happened but he scored 26 and 28 goals in his final two seasons for Milan (in 80 games in total, which was extremely impressive pre-MessiRonaldo times). It was a mega signing and an extremely expensive one in those times.

Even Torres was a superstar in terms of status, although his fitness and form was already waning prior to the transfer.

Crespo was a very big signing as well btw.

I agree with what you're trying to say but Chels have definitely lost pulling power though. And that's because the money they offer simply isn't as impressive as it once was.

As is often the case, Sheva’s stats were misleading. Anyone who watched him at the 2006 World Cup knew he had nothing to offer Chelsea. There were special circumstances involved in his capture, one of which was that no club with a sensible recruitment policy would have spent big-money and big wages on him at that stage of his career. Not a difficult signing to complete.

Inter were prepared to let Crespo go. Contrast their attitude on that deal with their absolute refusal to do business on Vieri at more than twice the price. Look at Hernan’s career and you’ll see evidence that clubs were always more enthusiastic about buying him, than they were about keeping him once he was on the books. Not a difficult signing to complete.

Nando’s output in the first part of his Liverpool contract was the only high performing period of his career. I never believed in him even while he was scoring heavily for the scousers. The day we bought Nando I was deeply depressed at our stupidity. As you imply that was not a difficult signing to complete.

Maka himself said he came to Chelsea because no club he preferred to join was prepared to pay his fee or his wages. Not a difficult signing to complete.

We never had the pulling power to attract genuinely high status players. The ones we were able to sign were those whose status was not as high as it might have seemed. Even then we were forced to overcome the reluctance of even that level of player by wildly overpaying fees and wages. Now that we are no longer doing that we are bound to suffer at the top end of the market but our record of recruiting young talent is not so bad. 

4 hours ago, akgw13 said:

Napoli reporter claiming Jorginho is in the home stretch with Man City. Will be tough to overtake them even if we announce Sarri. 

I’d say impossible. I’m afraid we’ve manoeuvred ourselves into a place where some players would even accept lesser contracts to play elsewhere rather than join us. It was always like that but billions of pounds of spending later things could, and should, have been better. Instead, if anything, it is worse than ever.

So what do you do? Stay patient, accept that it will take time to change our image and set off on a long term plan to establish a new perception of our club. It’ll take a commitment to positive football of quality. Stability would be nice too, but it’s less important than erasing the perception people have of CFC.

22 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I’d say impossible. I’m afraid we’ve manoeuvred ourselves into a place where some players would even accept lesser contracts to play elsewhere rather than join us. It was always like that but billions of pounds of spending later things could, and should, have been better. Instead, if anything, it is worse than ever.

So what do you do? Stay patient, accept that it will take time to change our image and set off on a long term plan to establish a new perception of our club. It’ll take a commitment to positive football of quality. Stability would be nice too, but it’s less important than erasing the perception people have of CFC.

Indeed, but with current board I'd say thats impossible. The club needs heart and soul to create something meaningful. Our board consists of people who are there to turn money around and make everything in balance, but no one knows jackshit how to create something, like SAF did back with United. I hate that word, but board is bunch of plastic people with exception of Roman. but he himself sadly doesnt have knowledge how to operate football club in sporting ways.