Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Just now, Jason said:

Our post-January slumps? In 2014/15, we won 10 of the last 15 league games after January and in 2016/17, we won 12 of our last 15 games (Spurs won 13 of their last 15). How do they constitute slump?

I'll give you for the 2014/15 title but in 2016/17, Terry barely even played. Also, if you're gonna start finding excuses for our league titles, saying we only won because of this and that, then you might as well do it for the ones won in 04/05 and 05/06 as well. 

Ok, believe what you want. Point is that almost everything got our way in those seasons. Considering that we had no European competitions and no injuries in 2017, and that slump at 2015 was 12 wins from 19 (I meant whole second half of the season, not just last 15 games)with not-so-good Man City as our competitor, I think I have a point.

And I don't think we were bad in those seasons. I think we were very good. I just think we have won those titles by our talent, and great managers' ideas. Not by being mentally strong.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Or maybe, we just so happen to have a clueless manager who is a one trick pony! Our squad might not be WOW but it's still a decent side and should be good enough to at least be sitting comfortably in the top 4. 

Liverpool and City are light years from us in terms of personal and understanding of manager. 

Spurs are slightly better. 

Arsenal and United have a potent attack, whereas we don't. 

Truth be told, I think 5th is a perfect reflection of where we are at personal wise. 

56 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Whether Sarri is here or not, the club have to be ruthless this summer. 

Players get retained for far too long at the club when they don't deserve to and the club being hell bent on getting their money back on every player that fails by loaning them out for a season or two as opposed to selling them is frustrating. Sometimes it is a good idea to build a player back up away from the club, but in other cases the club needs to learn to just take a loss sometimes and get rid.

It's always mentioned about the investment Guardiola received from City, but it's forgotten at times just how ruthless he and the club were after the first season getting rid of a lot of players who had been at the club for a long time and were no longer good enough and/or suitable for the changes Guardiola was looking to implement. Our club needs to do the same.

If this transfer ban does take effect it will be our last chance to clear the decks for a couple of seasons potentially and bring in a younger, more suitable crop of players for playing a more attractive brand of football.

Yes! This is definitely the conclusion to get from this game. Ruthless all around, there cannot be room for sentimentality whatsoever with regard to the squad. Azpi is one of the first who springs my mind. The guy is simply limited to be a starting RB for a team gunning for trophies. 

3 hours ago, El P. said:

Mentally awful. They have won the league by Contes' brilliance and with having no true competition.

How come any manager is not good enough for our team? Mourinho was not good enough, Conte too, and now Sarri too. I am not talking about just this lot. Fabregas, Oscar, Costa, they were all not leaders, not strong reliable players.

Conte is not "brilliant". Full stop. Conte is one dimensional manager in terms of tactics, and he has poor squad management. Mourinho wasn't good enough anymore. He actually is far from special since 2010, and we are talking about 9 years ago. His work with United speaks for itself. Sarri is just an ordinary manager. He is an italian 60 years old manager with a CV that is as good as any manager in the Championship (I would say Bielsa got a better CV).

5 hours ago, Jason said:

A manager saying he's not able to motivate these players...

Why is he even still in the job?! 

We have had the same similar groyp of players for awhile and each manager has had the same problem with them.

They de motivate each other as a team. They tell each other they played well. They THINK that they as individuals played well. Eden came out after a bad game saying he didn't care cause he thought he played well.

Its a group mentality.

They need to be changed to a man and start all over again fresh!

7 minutes ago, DDA said:

I'd like to know what the fuck Sarri is smoking!!

Nothing like what I've got cause this keeps you alert and helps your creativity.

A problem of many he is facing is he doesn't have a different set of players to chooses from. They all have the similar like for like skillsets/chaeacters.

We have no gamechangers to go to.

22 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Nothing like what I've got cause this keeps you alert and helps your creativity.

A problem of many he is facing is he doesn't have a different set of players to chooses from. They all have the similar like for like skillsets/chaeacters.

We have no gamechangers to go to.

Our squad is pathetic mate. Compare it too City. Pool and even United. Embarrassing. We need to play the youth now. Juat put Odoi, Amps and RLC as starters. How can it get any worse?

14 minutes ago, DDA said:

Our squad is pathetic mate. Compare it too City. Pool and even United. Embarrassing. We need to play the youth now. Juat put Odoi, Amps and RLC as starters. How can it get any worse?

Right now buddy I'm open to all options!

Maybe the yoof would be proud to put the 1st team kit on and be able to show it in how they fight??

☝️

It seems as if Sarri isn't instructing these bunch of pretenders to play shit football. I have been saying it from the start, this bunch of players have zero footballing intelligence. It's as obvious as it was Jimmy Sav was a wrongun. When will Roman, Marina and co wake the fuck up. We have a piss poor squad and now it seems we have a manager who is afraid to trust playing the young lads in Prem games. *sigh*

18 minutes ago, DDA said:

☝️

It seems as if Sarri isn't instructing these bunch of pretenders to play shit football. I have been saying it from the start, this bunch of players have zero footballing intelligence. It's as obvious as it was Jimmy Sav was a wrongun. When will Roman, Marina and co wake the fuck up. We have a piss poor squad and now it seems we have a manager who is afraid to trust playing the young lads in Prem games. *sigh*

Too many player with their backs to goal, and make no movement off the ball, its totally true.

Except hazard, i cant think any player from us who didnt really struggle with that.

For me our biggest problem is from our advanced midfield duo, they both just really awful. Kante cant do anyhthing when hisback to goal, lack technical skill and football iq. What he can do only sideway or passing back to our defender.

And kovavic, i already hate how he play, embarassingly toothless when he have the ball. Only give the ball to hazard, no movement off the ball after that, no diagonal pass, only passing sideway again and again

Ok, the players are bad, but is Sarri, who thought Alonso is the best left back in Europe the guy to solve our squad's problems.

If you look at the managers who have been successful at PL recently unlike Sarri they are all obsessed with nutrition and fitness. Also can you imagine Guardiola like this after a loss? Sarri should be coaching smaller teams at weaker leagues where the tempo is slower and there is less competition.

People talk about Terry and Lampard but I don't think they would have a lot of respect for this guy.

Sarri.jpg

Unlikely, but if this coach has any guts he would bench a huge chunk of the senior squad for our 3 homegrown youth players who would play with full motivation, for the next game.

While I think a huge chunk of responsibility lies with Sarri, and his one dimensional strategy, I agree with the point that Bluelyon made in the match thread. This lot only care about their trophy count. I've suspected this for a while now especially after watching Contes second season

The league performances have steadily become worse ever since we dropped out of the title race. The fight to win every match is no longer there. This is why we no longer fight back in league matches. Complete contrast to the start of the season when we fought to score goals in the dying minutes of the game. Also complete contrast to the league cup game against Spurs.

24 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Unlikely, but if this coach has any guts he would bench a huge chunk of the senior squad for our 3 homegrown youth players who would play with full motivation, for the next game.

While I think a huge chunk of responsibility lies with Sarri, and his one dimensional strategy, I agree with the point that Bluelyon made in the match thread. This lot only care about their trophy count. I've suspected this for a while now especially after watching Contes second season

The league performances have steadily become worse ever since we dropped out of the title race. The fight to win every match is no longer there. This is why we no longer fight back in league matches. Complete contrast to the start of the season when we fought to score goals in the dying minutes of the game. Also complete contrast to the league cup game against Spurs.

You know I agree about our lack of character,guts,pride but I think its a bit simplistic to put it down to silverware,

We have done this for several years now under different managers.

Have a great season then they revert to this mentality,

Like I said we need to rip the squad up and send them to whoever wants to pay the most and rebuild it with a clear plan, playing structure, career strategy for the yoof and  giving us back our identity.

Under a new DOF, scouts,board - the whole kit and caboodle.

7 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Liverpool and City are light years from us in terms of personal and understanding of manager. 

Spurs are slightly better. 

Arsenal and United have a potent attack, whereas we don't. 

Truth be told, I think 5th is a perfect reflection of where we are at personal wise. 

I know we're not entitled to be in the Top 4 but just look at some of the stupid draws/losses we've had - West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Wolves, Southampton, Bournemouth. We might not have the best squad but no way we should be dropping points to some of the worst sides in the league and certainly not get thrashed 4-0 by a mid-table side!