Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

8 minutes ago, Adnane said:

Right, but we don't have to play like them to compete. 

In fact, I am not sure we will ever fund well enough to reach that. 

I would much rather prefer a pragmatic coach ( not defensive, there is a huge difference, Ferguson was pragmatic, Mourinho early days as well, Mourinho last years is indeed defensive ).

And talking about short-long term, you can still build a sustainable strong flexible team to compete on the long run, Simeone's Atletico and Juve are the perfect examples in fact. The latter specifically do not shy away from adjusting to opposition when they need to, they are not stubborn enough to think that they can beat everyone the same way and they are now reaping rewards of that. 

Simeone's Atletico usually fall short in title races due to lack of quality and cohesion in attack (compared to Barca and Madrid), they have these awkward draws against the Valladolid's of this world that the latter two simply blow away (not so much this season but in general of recent years). 

We don't have to play exactly like them but this era of football is wavering towards a more aggressive, possession based game and most importantly, that's what the modern day players enjoy the most. 

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Simeone's Atletico usually fall short in title races due to lack of quality and cohesion in attack (compared to Barca and Madrid), they have these awkward draws against the Valladolid's of this world that the latter two simply blow away (not so much this season but in general of recent years). 

That is entirely down to decision makers quality as far as I'm concerned, it's hard to beat Messi and Ronaldo teams on the long term. 

Barcelona have been absolutely shambolic ( voluntarily ) defensively in the last 8 years or so and have managed to stay relevant on top of the pyramid football for the one sole reason we all know. 

If it was not for Ronaldo, Real Madrid would have won 1 or 2 CLs max, maybe not a single one, in the last two years he has just been totally cheated starting February, knocks teams out by himself. 

And Atletico still managed to compete and famously knocked out Barcelona twice and Bayern if you indeed want a glimpse on how a ell organized team can do. See, we're not talking winning per se, just staying relevant, if we managed to do that consistently I will be a happy man, we have tried the long free flowing route twice before ( Scolari + AVB ) and we all know how it ended. I am not sure it will ever work here and that's okay because I believe that this fanbase enjoys competitive Chelsea teams more than okay-ish easy on the eye generations ( 2012-2013 also comes to mind ). 

The whole identity thing is bollocks, we have a huge platform to actually center our identity around winning for the next 30 years or so based on what we achieved in the last decade, our fans enjoy it, we thrive on it. 

In fact, the more it goes the likelier it seems to be linked to commercial revenues, a generally perceived pleasant to watch team by today's possession biased standards surely has more chance of attracting tourists, sponsors, etc. 

5 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

I already said why it's silly. We brought Sarri in to play attacking possession football. He's trying to implement that and now you want him to divert from that to be more pragmatic. 

Even if it's little tweaks every step away from attacking possession football will slow down the process of getting there. Also what "little " tweaks are you talking about because the most popular "little" tweak among our fan base is putting Kante on the 6 instead of Jorginho.

That's not a little tweak, that's not a little step. That is an enormous step away from possession football and towards more pragmatic football.

How on earth does tweaking things mean ditching the attacking football? Changing formation suddenly means you're changing the style? Changing personnel means you're no longer playing attacking football? Even Guardiola constantly tweaks things here and there without sacrificing his attacking football. And for the record, I never said anything about putting Kante in Jorginho's position here.

"Why force your style " Euhm because we brought him in precisely because of his style...

"basically playing the kind of football we saw under Mourinho/Conte at its worst."  Ridiculous statement. Mourinho barely attempted to play out from the back and Conte tried but once teams figured us out and pressed us he was completely clueless on how to solve it. 

Yeah, we brought in Sarri to change our style but he's forcing it on players who don't suit it, resulting us in playing some absolutely dross football. You can say we barely attempted to play out from the back under Mourinho or Conte were clueless on solving problems once he got sussed but at the end of the day, we're still no better in going forward than we were under them. We were promised "fun" football by Sarri but there has barely been anything fun about the way we play, not even a tiny bit of excitement. 

Comparing that to the way we press, keep possession and play out from the back (even under immense pressure) under Sarri. A lot of work goes into that. The final third is where things  go wrong and that is largely down to the lack of a proper striker and the lack of a quality RW (and fullbacks that aren't good going forward)

The way we press under Sarri? We still look to drop back whenever we lose the ball and we certainly don't press high up the pitch and/or as a cohesive unit like City, Liverpool or even Spurs. 

"Is he ever gonna get all his players" Not in 1 transferwindow. It is going to take time. Piece by piece, brick by brick. The players that don't adapt need to be replaced. This was always going to be a long term process. 

You said that as if the club ever plan things long term, plan things thoroughly, work in sync with the manager. If our recent history is anything to go by, Sarri will be lucky to stay here for more than 2 years!

"A six-point lead on Arsenal and United with 16 games to go is nothing. " Nothing ? 6 points is a nice cushion and we're only 1 point behind Tottenham. 

Pardon me for not feeling good as you about the 6-point lead because this team blow way too hot and cold to be trusted on a consistent basis and remember last season when we were sitting comfortable in 2nd in January 2018? Yeah, we then fell off the cliff and finished only ahead of Arsenal. If we have the 6-point advantage with 6 games to go, then by all means, brag about it and be confident that we'll hold onto it. But there are still 16 games to go and that 6 points could easily disappear if we lose to Arsenal and Man City in our next four games. 

7 hours ago, communicate said:

If you watch our team right now what is the problem. Is it more of Sarri or our player. Our offense like you said is dull, boring but our defense is pretty good. If you told me that we will play back 4 with error prone David Luiz and slow mo Marcos Alonso as our starting 11, and our defense is good. I will think you are mad. But our defense is decent. Like you said is thank to our better ball retention. 

Offensively I think what you want is more directness, I kinda agree. We play too many short passes and they are slow passes. Jorginho performance play a factor plus we really need a striker. If we got a decent striker, I think everything will look much better. Just remember we scored some fun goals under mou after we signed Cesc and Costa. 

Btw can we stop with this kante as dm.  Does people realize how our dm is utilized in this system, his job is to play as regista. Having our best runner that have countless of stamina, spending 90% of the game sitting behind making short passes is a waste of kante talent. 

Be quick and direct (not by just lumping the ball forward aimlessly of course) indeed. For instance, notice how Hazard's take-on numbers have dropped this season? We're playing so slow that Hazard hasn't had many opportunities of being in 1 v 1 situations and causing chaos. 

Might sound a bit dramatic/desperate, but I just wanna go back to enjoying my favourite team playing simple football to win, playing nicely if the context ( opposition/players) in hand allows it. 

A spectacular football to watch for me is football which creates chances, the number of passes leading up to that is irrelevant, you don't need bags of possession to play good football.

The Premier League's best through balls provider this year has been David Luiz ( 10 accurate to be precise ), I've enjoyed every single one of the chances created by his long diagonal passes more than anything else this season. Guess what, it gave us in fact the win against the presumed Best team in the world at that moment. Will I every trade that for possession football ? Never ever. 

I enjoyed last year's home tie against Barcelona more than any other game in the last year and a half or so. Because we competed against a European giant, because we made chances and gave ourselves the best chances to win. 

Coming back to Sarri, I am disappointed by the lack of progress in our pressing, then again, high energetic pressing creates chances and ascendancy for you, not possession. 

4 hours ago, Mana said:

Let me remind you, we were once 12 points in front of Man United 4 weeks ago.

They have cut that lead in half in a very short time. If we drop points next week against Arsenal and they beat Brighton, they are suddenly 3 (or 4) points behind.

This cushion is getting smaller and smaller, and this is only January. This is why this transfer window is so crucial.

That's it! Plus we have City coming up as well and so inconsistent lately against teams on paper we should be winning against. Stupid losses and draws and all. Shouldn't even been considering the possibility of Man U catching up but suddenly they have. 

6 is nothing. 

I really don't get this thread at all, not sure why there is a critique of attacking football. You are out of your mind if you think we are playing attacking football. FFS Sari is playing our best attacking player out of position, justifying because it makes us defensively stronger. 

I don't think the goal of Sarri is possession.  At least not if we're talking about playing like Napoli did.  Possession comes but it's not a possession system like Barca play.  Our forwards just aren't making runs and we just aren't moving the ball fast enough so we wind up with this slow, plodding, boring possession game.  I am interested how we play against Arse this weekend.  Finally have a week between games.  Players should be more rested and hopefully get some time in practice to work on movement and combinations a bit.  We actually looked better at the beginning of the season and I think a big factor in that was being able to spend time on learning the system.  We just need to battle through the rest of this year and hope the board comes through with some players that fit the style Sarri wants to implement so we look more like the finished article next season.

27 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I really don't get this thread at all, not sure why there is a critique of attacking football. You are out of your mind if you think we are playing attacking football. FFS Sari is playing our best attacking player out of position, justifying because it makes us defensively stronger. 

Shades of Mourinho there...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/jose-mourinho-i-dropped-eden-hazard-against-aston-villa-because-chelsea-are-conceding-too-many-goals-a3092911.html

32 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Yep. Since we got battered by Spurs I think he's took a more defensive approach and players are all stuck in shape just to keep possession , we talk about lack of movement etc, in my opinion this is not just on the players, its that they are required to be available for the next pass, only Hazard has shown signs of taking it on himself to come and get the ball and make something happen but when he does this as a false 9 it leaves nothing in the box.

We have gone backwards since the first few games which looked really promising even though we were really vulnerable.

3 hours ago, DDA said:

Just watch. When do you see anyone in our team moving like that?? Except from Kante and maybe Pedro. 

Sarri made them play like that. 

Each of those players have sound technical ability and can see a pass with the first time ball.

We have Broccoli head dilly dallying on the ball for hours and Ross Barkley ffs.

You can see shades of SarriBall from the back at Chels but it's our attck that isn't replicating what Sarri don at Napoli. 

We just don't have the players. End of.

Damn watching video, our play is very2 similar. It is watching us play this season 

3 hours ago, DDA said:

Just watch. When do you see anyone in our team moving like that?? Except from Kante and maybe Pedro. 

Each of those players have sound technical ability and can see a pass with the first time ball.

We have Broccoli head dilly dallying on the ball for hours and Ross Barkley ffs.

You can see shades of SarriBall from the back at Chels but it's our attck that isn't replicating what Sarri don at Napoli. 

Look at the speed of play, look at the runs off the ball, pass and move, first time passes. We never do that here, everyone wants the ball to feet and holds it for 10 minutes and no one wants to make some effort (runs) off the ball

3 hours ago, DDA said:

Look at the speed of play, look at the runs off the ball, pass and move, first time passes. We never do that here, everyone wants the ball to feet and holds it for 10 minutes and no one wants to make some effort (runs) off the ball