Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Just now, Sideshow Luiz said:

Well, the best team has to be made up of our squad, no?  That's our best XI + bench, depending on the opponent.  I like Kovacic in matches like today, but I think that RLC or Barkley are better against teams that are going to be sitting deep.

I meant (I should have specified) our best starting XI

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I meant (I should have specified) our best starting XI

I'd say that 8 or 9 of our best XI are the same all the time (I don't know about Emerson against actualy quality as we haven't seen it yet),  Depending on the opponent, the others can change.  Having our best 2 defensive midfielders (Kante and Kovacic) was essential today, IMO.  

Post-Match Press Conference: Chelsea 2-0 City

renderTimingPixel.png

Sarri on win: "We had Eden for the first time in that position. I think for the first 20-25 minutes we didn't defend well in the opponents half, fortunately we defended well in our own. After the goal the game changed, I think." He adds that Chelsea deserved to win.

Sarri on beating City: "For me it is not easy to win against Guardiola, as you know. I am happy." He adds "we need to find the right determination in other matches."

Sarri on Hazard false 9: "Maybe he deserved to score, it is a good option. Maybe he will play there more."

Sarri on abandoning his traditional tactics: "We had to defend in our own half but it wasn't a choice. No! We knew very well that ball possession that we usually have would be a problem today and that there would be more spaces for counters"

Sarri on Kante: "Today Kante scored by chance. Today he played closer to Jorginho than in the other matches. I thought he defended very well. He was in some counter attacks, he was in the box for the first goal, today he played in the right position."

Sarri on Chelsea title chances vs Man City: "As I say always, I think that it is impossible to cover this kind of [points] gap in one season. We can play them in one match, of course, but it is very difficult to cover the gap. They are the best in Europe."

Sarri wants to see intensity continuing: "In this kind of match it is easy to have great motivation, determination and agression. But then during the season you have to play against lower teams, for example in the next match vs Brighton there will be 3 points [to grab]"

Sarri on lack of Morata: "The reason is clear. We played with Hazard as a striker. If we had to change something, there was Giroud, I thought it was useless to have two strikers on the bench." #CHEMCI

Sarri on beating Guardiola finally: "I am happy but not for that. I am happy for the win but not for that [beating Guardiola]." Adds "they are a step ahead" which makes him extra proud for the win on the day.

Sarri asked if it was David Luiz's best performance: "Yes, I think so, but I am really very happy with him from the beginning [of my time at the club]."

He did very well to get our team so compact without the ball. The distance between our defensive line and attack was about 15 meters throughout the match, very compact. No spaces in between our midfield and defence for Silva to have joy in, and thats what made the big difference today. Kante was playing so close to Jorginho and didn't leave him isolated today.

Sarri did well motivating the team today, he has to get our team to remain that compact (15 meters) in every game.

Rudiger: “After the Wolves game Sarri was terrifying. He was going crazy. But that was okay because we shouldn’t have lost. The day after he was very calm. He made it clear that we have to believe in ourselves. He wanted us to go into the City game looking for a win”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/how-terrifying-maurizio-sarri-inspired-chelsea-to-win-over-man-city-after-pain-of-wolves-loss-a4012941.html

On 09/12/2018 at 6:25 PM, kellzfresh said:

Sarri got the tactics right. We were defensively solid, which is what we needed in this game.

Course Pep would say that, or something that could be a slight dig, arrogant fucker, does he just want teams to bend over for City or something? His arrogance is mental, also his poor sportsmanship is swept under the carpet every time he loses theres something. Theres several effective ways to play football and will be after him too. If it means switching it up, sitting deeper, having less quality on the ball but more off it in the defensive phase... to get a win... Why not? Maybe City would have more chance to win a CL if he wasnt blinded by his own philosophy so much. Sure it works, but comes unstuck against us a lot. Still love when Conte got that Chelsea team, playing a 343 with Moses and Alonso as wingbacks, to absolutely shaft City on the counter, at the Etihad. 

On 12/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, Jason said:

Loved that report.

And I totally agree with it. I do think IF we fully take on Sarri and properly back him, and the lads we have start listening to him (like it seemed they did at half time Vs shitty) then I reckon we could make something really good.

Klopps had 3 years and 8 transfer windows. Peps had 2 years 7 months and 5 windows. I really want to see what Sarri could do in that time WITH the right backing. And it doesn;t look like the clubs scrimping after paying out for Kepa so lets hope theres the right players we need available in a couple of weeks AND both Sarri and our board are both in agreement about signing them.

We need to show commitment that we don't just want to contend but conquer! Rule Chelsea!

On 12/8/2018 at 10:46 PM, kellzfresh said:

He did very well to get our team so compact without the ball. The distance between our defensive line and attack was about 15 meters throughout the match, very compact. No spaces in between our midfield and defence for Silva to have joy in, and thats what made the big difference today. Kante was playing so close to Jorginho and didn't leave him isolated today.

Sarri did well motivating the team today, he has to get our team to remain that compact (15 meters) in every game.

Mate I watched the game this morning and thought the exact same thing. That 2ng half it seemed we took up the middle 1/3 of the pitch. The wee baldy man got a ;ot closer to Jorgi so could do a proper B2B job.

I hope we stick to that. Think the only bad side is if the opposition has someone fast as hell and they boot it over us to him. Thats when we need fast CBs

21 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Mate I watched the game this morning and thought the exact same thing. That 2ng half it seemed we took up the middle 1/3 of the pitch. The wee baldy man got a ;ot closer to Jorgi so could do a proper B2B job.

I hope we stick to that. Think the only bad side is if the opposition has someone fast as hell and they boot it over us to him. Thats when we need fast CBs

Balls over the top can be countered by high pressing from our attackers, offside trap and Sweeper keeper (Kepa) coming out to clear long balls. If we do it right, long balls will mean that we recover the ball back immediately. You could see from the first half against city that we couldn't even go over the top against them even if they were pressing right at our 18 yard box

Chelsea could have ‘won better’, laments perfectionist Sarri after overdue away win

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/12/16/18143157/post-match-comments-from-maurizio-sarri-after-chelseas-2-1-win-over-brighton-and-hove-albion

yip yip and more yip