Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Sorry for the late reply, i agree on minor adjustments but the base of his philosophy has to remain the same, we signed up for it so telling him to adapt is like signing Ederson and telling him not to use his passing range.

As for the play side of it, we are definitely a lot better in possession than any point under Conte or Jose, for all our other faults right now we are still playing out of the back well and having 65% ish possession per game. As for the overall play of patterns and combinations in my opinion it's largely right now down to the lack of pre season and time on the training pitch, since September we haven't had a free midweek which means fuck all if any training time (high match turnovers mean training is basically warmdowns) which is a killer when trying to learn a new system. Imagine if say you were taking regular exams that you've only just took on but your schedule means little to no time to revise, your performance will slow down after a while.

In a way Bournemouth knocking us out could be a blessing because as much as a semi final is nice, we desperately need some time on the training pitch to aid us in the home straight.

Maybe you are right that the lack of time on the training pitch is causing the issues that we are seeing now BUT that is no excuse for Sarri to continue picking under-performing players or players are so obviously not fit for his system. If he continues to do that, then how is he going to get the players to play the way he wants us to play? Our squad isn't perfect but there are definitely some players more suited to his style than others. That is one point and the second thing here is, it points to a lack tactical flexibility on his part. No one is asking him to sacrifice his football but is he really that stubborn or blind to make minor adjustments to ensure things work for the time being without compromising his football? There have been comparisons between Sarri's struggles now with Guardiola but has he not looked at Guardiola's mistakes in his first season and tried to not make them here? Could even throw in Klopp's initial period into the equation here. It certainly feels like he's showing the same naivety that Guardiola and Klopp showed when they first came to England. 

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Maybe you are right that the lack of time on the training pitch is causing the issues that we are seeing now BUT that is no excuse for Sarri to continue picking under-performing players or players are so obviously not fit for his system. If he continues to do that, then how is he going to get the players to play the way he wants us to play? Our squad isn't perfect but there are definitely some players more suited to his style than others. That is one point and the second thing here is, it points to a lack tactical flexibility on his part. No one is asking him to sacrifice his football but is he really that stubborn or blind to make minor adjustments to ensure things work for the time being without compromising his football? There have been comparisons between Sarri's struggles now with Guardiola but has he not looked at Guardiola's mistakes in his first season and tried to not make them here? Could even throw in Klopp's initial period into the equation here. It certainly feels like he's showing the same naivety that Guardiola and Klopp showed when they first came to England. 

But to play devils advocate he could also be looking at how they have both been rewarded for sticking to their process and not panicking, Pep took the short term hit to implement his style and as soon as he got more suitable players to go along with a the rest being a year into his training he's arguably created the best PL team ever, Klopp looked like he was neglecting his defense and keeper at one point (and maybe to an extent he was) but he waited for suitable players and now has probably the best in both positions in the league.

Re subtle changes, I think (am trying to convince myself) that he is slowly looking at things in that regard, he took Alonso off vs Fulham  (and i think Zappa might start with Azpi LB on Saturday to help combat Mahrez cutting in) and he's rotated Jorginho off which is the one thing i thought he would never do, the Christmas period will tell us a lot either way.

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

But to play devils advocate he could also be looking at how they have both been rewarded for sticking to their process and not panicking, Pep took the short term hit to implement his style and as soon as he got more suitable players to go along with a the rest being a year into his training he's arguably created the best PL team ever, Klopp looked like he was neglecting his defense and keeper at one point (and maybe to an extent he was) but he waited for suitable players and now has probably the best in both positions in the league.

I would argue that Guardiola and Klopp at least got the offensive side of the team work for them and that despite both having to also play tons of games, like us this season. So, maybe the lack of training time isn't really an excuse. 

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

Re subtle changes, I think (am trying to convince myself) that he is slowly looking at things in that regard, he took Alonso off vs Fulham  (and i think Zappa might start with Azpi LB on Saturday to help combat Mahrez cutting in) and he's rotated Jorginho off which is the one thing i thought he would never do, the Christmas period will tell us a lot either way.

You're optimistic there. Alonso played poorly against Fulham, only logical for the manager to sub him off. Jorginho has been playing a lot, for us and Italy, and again, only logical that Sarri rotates him with Fabregas. Sarri hasn't any tactical adjustments to the opposing team with his team selection.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I would argue that Guardiola and Klopp at least got the offensive side of the team work for them and that despite both having to also play tons of games, like us this season. So, maybe the lack of training time isn't really an excuse. 

Pep maybe but Klopp had some beyond miserable performances and runs of results for his first two seasons, remember those three home defeats in a row?

4 hours ago, DDA said:

United 99. This City team isn't even close to that United team, yet!!!

I disagree, United may have been more successful trophy wise but the sheer consistency City are displaying is insane.

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Pep maybe but Klopp had some beyond miserable performances and runs of results for his first two seasons, remember those three home defeats in a row?

I disagree, United may have been more successful trophy wise but the sheer consistency City are displaying is insane.

IMO Chelsea 2004-09, United 1999 and 2008, Arsenal Invincibles would wipe the floor with this city lot. Probably Liverpool at their peak too. 

What people dont see is how shit City is in europe. They might do well in england, because their depth due to crazy money is insane. Only one that cant be replaced are Ederson and Fernandinho. They have like two strong 11s. Just crazy depth quality. Its not that hard then to win vs burnleys with ease. Secondly, top teams in pl are far from great. Liverpool is only one that is in some decent shape and they have given city a spanking before. In CL though, city is nothing special. 

When we had strong squad (or United), semifinals were constantly there. City struggles because in europe, teams are actualy strong and tacticaly apt, Guardiola doesnt have plan b and he will get smacked in knockout stages again. 

The PL is far from great. Its true however that City is probably most consistent team in PL history. But put them in 2005, they might win all games against smaller sides (something we or united got burned sometimes) but they would also lose to all england top 4 teams in 2005. 

On our side, why the hell are we so inconsistent?

We had great start with Conte, then dropped. We had great start of 2014/15 with Mou, then dropped. We also had very good start with Sarri, but now we play much worse. 

Obviously Sarriball will take two seasons to truly work, but its bad that we played better two months ago than we play now, when it should be the other way around. Players cant be tired already, so what is it? Just a shit attitude or?

2 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

IMO Chelsea 2004-09, United 1999 and 2008, Arsenal Invincibles would wipe the floor with this city lot. Probably Liverpool at their peak too. 

What people dont see is how shit City is in europe. They might do well in england, because their depth due to crazy money is insane. Only one that cant be replaced are Ederson and Fernandinho. They have like two strong 11s. Just crazy depth quality. Its not that hard then to win vs burnleys with ease. Secondly, top teams in pl are far from great. Liverpool is only one that is in some decent shape and they have given city a spanking before. In CL though, city is nothing special. 

When we had strong squad (or United), semifinals were constantly there. City struggles because in europe, teams are actualy strong and tacticaly apt, Guardiola doesnt have plan b and he will get smacked in knockout stages again. 

The PL is far from great. Its true however that City is probably most consistent team in PL history. But put them in 2005, they might win all games against smaller sides (something we or united got burned sometimes) but they would also lose to all england top 4 teams in 2005. 

Maybe they would get the better of City in head to heads, but as you alluded to in your last paragraph they would wipe the flaw with all of us in terms of flattrack bullying. It was actually failure to master that side of things which was a big part of why United beat us to it three times on the spin (and even the year we got it back was due to an unprecedented 6/6 vs the Red rivals) and City are even more ruthless than Fergie's United.

13 minutes ago, manpe said:

At 11:10 he talks about Alonso vs. Emerson and he brings out that we could have trouble in set-pieces without Alonso... So what do we think about that? How valid reason is it?

Not a valid reason, Barcelona play Alba there, Spain won the world cup with a team of midgets, besides Emerson is not a midget. 

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I am far more bullish on Shitty than you. You say they are shit in Europe and that they feed off of a weak EPL, BUT Pep has only had on real bite at the apple in the CL and that was last year. Victimpool knocked them out AND went on to go all the way to the final, AND are from what you claim is a 'weak' EPL. I disagree that the EPL is weak, it is the toughest league in the world ATM. Barca and Real for decades simply get to coast domestically (with AM recently giving them a run) so dont have to burn out squads in the league games. Same for Bayern, and even more so for PSG. Juve to a point too, but Serie A is the second toughest league in the world (strictly my opinion and you could ague against that based off of Juve utter dominance).

Shitty is not just good due to depth. They have SUPERB players (whether you like them or not)

Ederson (I only rate Oblak as better, and maybe I will change mind)

Laporte (with Varane in a hge slump amd Umtiti injured, he is absolutely in top 5 current CB's in the world)

Mendy (when healthy top 5 LB, easily)

Walker (top 5 in wolrd RB)

Fernandinho (if he was 4,5 years young would be in top 5 DMF in world, thsi (no great depth, as they have NO other true DMF on the team, which they really need to address with either buying Nevers of de Jong) is their potential Achilles heel, if he goes down injured)

AMF  DeBruyne, best in the world (when healthy) plus crazy depth including David Silva

LW Sane (top 5 in world)

RW/LW Sterling top 5 in world

RW/AMF Bernardo Silva  also top 5 in world plus Mahrez

CF  TWO of the top 7 or 8 in world in the cunt Aguero and then Jesus

They are LOADED, I fancy them to win the CL this year (main comp will be Barca and Juve, maybe PSG) Bayern and Real are totally struggling, but still dangerous.

so, en toto, we completely disagree

I also, a few months ago went into who their targets would be (or should be) in the transfer market (as long as they and PSG are not banned) to take them to a clear number one in the world

the main 4 would be

CB de Ligt  or Dayot Upamecano or Pavard (can play RB as well)

DH DMF Neves

LB Junior Firpo or Lucas Hernández (can play CB as well

CMF Frenkie de Jong (can play anyhwere in MF and also CB as well)

I also think they someday make a move for Mbappe (within 3 or 4 years)

add those (even without Mbappe) they are clear number one team in world, with the clear number one manager in charge

put Mbappe in as the CF, you are talking all-time top 5 club team in football history

I absolutely believe that

they would have top 5 in world at every position and multiple bests in world (Ederson by then, De Bruyne, Mbappe (best overall player on planet, certainly by then), Sane (as Neymar and Eden age out) and if they get him de Ligt (I rate de Ligt as best CB in world within 3, 4 years)