test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Started by Special Juan,

942 posts in this topic

Chelsea players had too much confidence, says Maurizio Sarri

"Of course, after this match we lost confidence but maybe it is better because sometimes my players show me they have too much confidence."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11572744/sarri-players-had-too-much-confidence

Ffs getting to sound like Jose book of bullshit excuses 

Vesper and Johnnyeye like this

Sarri should have prioritized wolves game .it is much more easy to get points against wolves than city...Jorginho is the heart of sarri system...he should play every PL game... distance between the players clearly indicate replacements are not adapted to system...we cannot get away with second xi in PL games

Johnnyeye, Vesper and BlueLyon like this

5 minutes ago, mccg said:

Chelsea players had too much confidence, says Maurizio Sarri

"Of course, after this match we lost confidence but maybe it is better because sometimes my players show me they have too much confidence."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11572744/sarri-players-had-too-much-confidence

Ffs getting to sound like Jose book of bullshit excuses 

It does sound quite Mourinho-like. I am not a fan of using players' emotional states as rational for on field performances.

Johnnyeye likes this

But why would they be over confident. Wolves are mid table.. We're not exactly sitting top miles from the rest so no reason to be. We knew we needed this win with City coming up... 

Johnnyeye likes this

Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri is tactically stubborn and lacks a Plan B

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/chelsea-boss-maurizio-sarri-is-tactically-stubborn-and-lacks-a-plan-b-a4010166.html

Maurizio Sarri is starting to discover what it feels like when the honeymoon period as manager of Chelsea is over.

It would be foolish to suggest Sarri’s job is under threat after just five months, although Luiz Felipe Scolari and Andre Villas-Boas might suggest otherwise. However, the Italian needs to add a new game-plan to his repertoire sooner rather than later.

After a very promising start to life as Chelsea coach, there is more evidence that opponents have figured out his tactics.

The results alone make grim reading: since winning their first five Premier League fixtures, Chelsea have added just four more in the next 10. They should have secured a fifth last night but missed a host of chances at 1-0 and then gifted Wolves two sloppy goals.

Sarri questioned his players’ poor reaction after Nino Espirito Santo’s men drew level, intimating they were solely at fault for the defeat.

“We were suddenly another team,” he said. “Without the right distances, our football, I don’t know why.

“I am really very worried, not for the result but for the fact we didn’t react to the first goal. We didn’t react at all, so I am really very worried for this.”

However, all those connected with Chelsea might think Sarri could have done more to inspire a comeback.

Sarri is so committed to his ‘vision’ of play that he will not alter from it one bit. This means his substitutions are merely like-for-like rather than  anything out of the ordinary.

snip

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Sorry for the late reply, i agree on minor adjustments but the base of his philosophy has to remain the same, we signed up for it so telling him to adapt is like signing Ederson and telling him not to use his passing range.

As for the play side of it, we are definitely a lot better in possession than any point under Conte or Jose, for all our other faults right now we are still playing out of the back well and having 65% ish possession per game. As for the overall play of patterns and combinations in my opinion it's largely right now down to the lack of pre season and time on the training pitch, since September we haven't had a free midweek which means fuck all if any training time (high match turnovers mean training is basically warmdowns) which is a killer when trying to learn a new system. Imagine if say you were taking regular exams that you've only just took on but your schedule means little to no time to revise, your performance will slow down after a while.

In a way Bournemouth knocking us out could be a blessing because as much as a semi final is nice, we desperately need some time on the training pitch to aid us in the home straight.

Maybe you are right that the lack of time on the training pitch is causing the issues that we are seeing now BUT that is no excuse for Sarri to continue picking under-performing players or players are so obviously not fit for his system. If he continues to do that, then how is he going to get the players to play the way he wants us to play? Our squad isn't perfect but there are definitely some players more suited to his style than others. That is one point and the second thing here is, it points to a lack tactical flexibility on his part. No one is asking him to sacrifice his football but is he really that stubborn or blind to make minor adjustments to ensure things work for the time being without compromising his football? There have been comparisons between Sarri's struggles now with Guardiola but has he not looked at Guardiola's mistakes in his first season and tried to not make them here? Could even throw in Klopp's initial period into the equation here. It certainly feels like he's showing the same naivety that Guardiola and Klopp showed when they first came to England. 

DDA, Johnnyeye and kellzfresh like this

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Maybe you are right that the lack of time on the training pitch is causing the issues that we are seeing now BUT that is no excuse for Sarri to continue picking under-performing players or players are so obviously not fit for his system. If he continues to do that, then how is he going to get the players to play the way he wants us to play? Our squad isn't perfect but there are definitely some players more suited to his style than others. That is one point and the second thing here is, it points to a lack tactical flexibility on his part. No one is asking him to sacrifice his football but is he really that stubborn or blind to make minor adjustments to ensure things work for the time being without compromising his football? There have been comparisons between Sarri's struggles now with Guardiola but has he not looked at Guardiola's mistakes in his first season and tried to not make them here? Could even throw in Klopp's initial period into the equation here. It certainly feels like he's showing the same naivety that Guardiola and Klopp showed when they first came to England. 

But to play devils advocate he could also be looking at how they have both been rewarded for sticking to their process and not panicking, Pep took the short term hit to implement his style and as soon as he got more suitable players to go along with a the rest being a year into his training he's arguably created the best PL team ever, Klopp looked like he was neglecting his defense and keeper at one point (and maybe to an extent he was) but he waited for suitable players and now has probably the best in both positions in the league.

Re subtle changes, I think (am trying to convince myself) that he is slowly looking at things in that regard, he took Alonso off vs Fulham  (and i think Zappa might start with Azpi LB on Saturday to help combat Mahrez cutting in) and he's rotated Jorginho off which is the one thing i thought he would never do, the Christmas period will tell us a lot either way.

manpe, kellzfresh and Johnnyeye like this

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

he's arguably created the best PL team ever,

United 99. This City team isn't even close to that United team, yet!!!

Johnnyeye likes this

1 hour ago, DDA said:

agree, City will always remain in the shadow of United no matter how good a team they are.

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

But to play devils advocate he could also be looking at how they have both been rewarded for sticking to their process and not panicking, Pep took the short term hit to implement his style and as soon as he got more suitable players to go along with a the rest being a year into his training he's arguably created the best PL team ever, Klopp looked like he was neglecting his defense and keeper at one point (and maybe to an extent he was) but he waited for suitable players and now has probably the best in both positions in the league.

I would argue that Guardiola and Klopp at least got the offensive side of the team work for them and that despite both having to also play tons of games, like us this season. So, maybe the lack of training time isn't really an excuse. 

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

Re subtle changes, I think (am trying to convince myself) that he is slowly looking at things in that regard, he took Alonso off vs Fulham  (and i think Zappa might start with Azpi LB on Saturday to help combat Mahrez cutting in) and he's rotated Jorginho off which is the one thing i thought he would never do, the Christmas period will tell us a lot either way.

You're optimistic there. Alonso played poorly against Fulham, only logical for the manager to sub him off. Jorginho has been playing a lot, for us and Italy, and again, only logical that Sarri rotates him with Fabregas. Sarri hasn't any tactical adjustments to the opposing team with his team selection.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I would argue that Guardiola and Klopp at least got the offensive side of the team work for them and that despite both having to also play tons of games, like us this season. So, maybe the lack of training time isn't really an excuse. 

Pep maybe but Klopp had some beyond miserable performances and runs of results for his first two seasons, remember those three home defeats in a row?

4 hours ago, DDA said:

I disagree, United may have been more successful trophy wise but the sheer consistency City are displaying is insane.

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Pep maybe but Klopp had some beyond miserable performances and runs of results for his first two seasons, remember those three home defeats in a row?

I disagree, United may have been more successful trophy wise but the sheer consistency City are displaying is insane.

IMO Chelsea 2004-09, United 1999 and 2008, Arsenal Invincibles would wipe the floor with this city lot. Probably Liverpool at their peak too. 

What people dont see is how shit City is in europe. They might do well in england, because their depth due to crazy money is insane. Only one that cant be replaced are Ederson and Fernandinho. They have like two strong 11s. Just crazy depth quality. Its not that hard then to win vs burnleys with ease. Secondly, top teams in pl are far from great. Liverpool is only one that is in some decent shape and they have given city a spanking before. In CL though, city is nothing special. 

When we had strong squad (or United), semifinals were constantly there. City struggles because in europe, teams are actualy strong and tacticaly apt, Guardiola doesnt have plan b and he will get smacked in knockout stages again. 

The PL is far from great. Its true however that City is probably most consistent team in PL history. But put them in 2005, they might win all games against smaller sides (something we or united got burned sometimes) but they would also lose to all england top 4 teams in 2005. 

DDA and Johnnyeye like this

On our side, why the hell are we so inconsistent?

We had great start with Conte, then dropped. We had great start of 2014/15 with Mou, then dropped. We also had very good start with Sarri, but now we play much worse. 

Obviously Sarriball will take two seasons to truly work, but its bad that we played better two months ago than we play now, when it should be the other way around. Players cant be tired already, so what is it? Just a shit attitude or?

Johnnyeye likes this

35 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

Sarri on how you beat a team like Manchester city...

"I don't know, against Guardiola, I've lost every match, so you'd have to ask somebody else"

this made me laugh :D