Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Yeah I get, we are in the middle of poor run but can we spare the comparisons to Arsenal? Ok, they have improved in recent months but they had an established style of play for decades and this new manager isn't going to revolutionize that unlike Sarri. Also, they've got Lacazette and Aubamayang banging in goals for fun. Makes a big difference for the morale of the team when you have attackers that can actually score goals on a regular basis.

January can't come soon enough. I hope the board understands how important it is to back Sarri and get couple players in.

3 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

Yeah I get, we are in the middle of poor run but can we spare the comparisons to Arsenal? Ok, they have improved in recent months but they had an established style of play for decades and this new manager isn't going to revolutionize that unlike Sarri. Also, they've got Lacazette and Aubamayang banging in goals for fun. Makes a big difference for the morale of the team when you have attackers that can actually score goals on a regular basis.

January can't come soon enough. I hope the board understands how important it is to back Sarri and get couple players in.

While I am same page with you as regards your perspective but can Sarri please drop Morata Willian and Alonso for good...we have absolute better players on bench and even rotting away in God knows where due to his stubborn nature to try and atleast change some few things up...

I don't want to be overreacting but where is this Sarri-ball that we've been hearing? What's the point of having more possession and playing more passes than anyone else (ha!) if there's no attacking cohesion to create chances and score goals? Our football right now is not so much different to what we saw under Conte or even Mourinho. No doubt we have some poor attacking players right now to make his football work but if he can't adapt for the time being and make what we have work, then Sarri won't last long here. We have had managers like this in the past - they have grand ideas on how to play beautiful football but are inflexible tactically and only know one way of playing - and we all know what happened to them in the end.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't want to be overreacting but where is this Sarri-ball that we've been hearing? What's the point of having more possession and playing more passes than anyone else (ha!) if there's no attacking cohesion to create chances and score goals, then what is the point? Our football right now is not so much different to what we saw under Conte or even Mourinho. No doubt we have some poor attacking players right now to make his football work but if he can't adapt for the time being and make what we have work, then Sarri won't last long here. We have had managers like this in the past - they have grand ideas on how to play beautiful football but are inflexible tactically and only know one way of playing - and we all know what happened to them in the end.

That's it. We had 70%....we lost that's the thing that matters. 17 shots and only 3 on target. No point playing pretty football and having sod all to show for it. If not working it needs to be fixed before he's off elsewhere and the cycle continues 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't want to be overreacting but where is this Sarri-ball that we've been hearing? What's the point of having more possession and playing more passes than anyone else (ha!) if there's no attacking cohesion to create chances and score goals, then what is the point? Our football right now is not so much different to what we saw under Conte or even Mourinho. No doubt we have some poor attacking players right now to make his football work but if he can't adapt for the time being and make what we have work, then Sarri won't last long here. We have had managers like this in the past - they have grand ideas on how to play beautiful football but are inflexible tactically and only know one way of playing - and we all know what happened to them in the end.

I stopped taking him seriously the moment he kept insisting on starting Azpi, Willian and Alonso. For me that was enough 

Just now, Vybzkartel said:

I stopped taking him seriously the moment he kept insisting on starting Azpi, Willian and Alonso. For me that was enough 

The least Azpi brings to the team is defensive stability. He's had some dodgy games at the start of the season but overall, he's been solid and can see why Sarri starts him. People over-exaggerate his supposedly bad form only because of his attacking play. But the other two? Wolves targeted Alonso tonight and got plenty of joy out of it. And Willian's pathetic attempt to keep the ball (if we can call it that) for the second goal sums it all up. But Sarri, for some reason, remains blind to obvious issues.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't want to be overreacting but where is this Sarri-ball that we've been hearing? What's the point of having more possession and playing more passes than anyone else (ha!) if there's no attacking cohesion to create chances and score goals? Our football right now is not so much different to what we saw under Conte or even Mourinho. No doubt we have some poor attacking players right now to make his football work but if he can't adapt for the time being and make what we have work, then Sarri won't last long here. We have had managers like this in the past - they have grand ideas on how to play beautiful football but are inflexible tactically and only know one way of playing - and we all know what happened to them in the end.

I would say AVBs ultimate downfall is because he did "adapt", as soon as he showed willingness to revert to default mode the players stopped listening and he was done. We could probably park the bus on Saturday and get a smash and grab point or 3 but what would really be the point? We will just end up back in the cycle of pragmatic football that lets be honest is past it's sellby date in todays game.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I would say AVBs ultimate downfall is because he did "adapt", as soon as he showed willingness to revert to default mode the players stopped listening and he was done. We could probably park the bus on Saturday and get a smash and grab point or 3 but what would really be the point? We will just end up back in the cycle of pragmatic football that lets be honest is past it's sellby date in todays game.

I think its more adapt by taking out out of form players. Alonso had no business starting today especially after he gave such a disaster class on Sunday. He needs to be willing to drop out of form players. 

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I would say AVBs ultimate downfall is because he did "adapt". As soon as he showed willingness to revert to default mode the players stopped listening and he was done. We could probably park the bus on Saturday and get a smash and grab point or 3 but what would really be the point? We will just end up back in the cycle of pragmatic football that lets be honest is past it's sellby date in todays game.

Nobody is asking Sarri to make a 180 degrees turn on his football but if he can't make minor tactical adjustments to make things work for the time being, then he won't last very long. You know well enough that inflexibility won't get managers far in the Premier League and Sarri is certainly showing that now, with his tactics and team selection. Plus, where is this Sarri-ball that we have heard so much of? Where is the cohesive, combination play in the attacking third? We've barely seen it. Only thing we have gotten from his football so far is more possession and passes but really, what's the point of that when we don't create enough or proper goalscoring chances? It was the same under Conte and Mourinho. And seeing us bossing some of these smaller teams is not really different to what we saw under Conte, Mourinho etc as we tended to dominate those games as well in the past.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Nobody is asking Sarri to make a 180 degrees turn on his football but if he can't make minor tactical adjustments to make things work for the time being, then he won't last very long. You know well enough that inflexibility won't get managers far in the Premier League and Sarri is certainly showing that now, with his tactics and team selection. Plus, where is this Sarri-ball that we have heard so much of? Where is the cohesive, combination play in the attacking third? We've barely seen it. Only thing we have gotten from his football so far is more possession and passes but really, what's the point of that when we don't create enough or proper goalscoring chances? It was the same under Conte and Mourinho. And seeing us bossing some of these smaller teams is not really different to what we saw under Conte, Mourinho etc as we tended to dominate those games as well in the past.

The best football we have played is arguably in Mourinho's first season back. To hell with this philophy crap. Just talent and hard work. 

1 minute ago, Vybzkartel said:

The best football we have played is arguably in Mourinho's first season back. To hell with this philophy crap. Just talent and hard work. 

I'm all for playing good football but IMO, we are at our best when we're tough to beat and flexible tactically. It's those qualities that have made us successful over the last 15 years. Maybe we have too many average players now, the manager isn't instilling that never-say-die attitude or maybe we'll get there again but I'm certainly not seeing those qualities right now in the team and it's painful to watch.

Another November goes by and it's time to stop watching CFC unless we know that CHO, RLC and EA are getting into the lineup somehow. Eden Hazard's career is going by without top notch player around him --which is something I would argue we lacked during Didier's career too.

Not the least bit surprised. This squad got to 55% of what Maurizio wants over a month or so ago and just cannot go further.

Now it's up to the manager to start making changes. Changes have been due for some weeks IMO. 

And what about Morata? Can't fix that, I think. He should try another league probably.

Oh... and are we in transition? FFS, this club has been in half-ass transition for a decade IMO, never fully transitioning to something and often reversing due to lack of quality and scoring in the squad. This is the fault of leadership at the club's offices.

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

The least Azpi brings to the team is defensive stability. He's had some dodgy games at the start of the season but overall, he's been solid and can see why Sarri starts him. People over-exaggerate his supposedly bad form only because of his attacking play. But the other two? Wolves targeted Alonso tonight and got plenty of joy out of it. And Willian's pathetic attempt to keep the ball (if we can call it that) for the second goal sums it all up. But Sarri, for some reason, remains blind to obvious issues.

And willian missed a golden chance to put us 2-0 up from that hazard pass. If that was pedro, we win today. Willian and Alonso have been getting away with it

Just now, quickpassnmove said:

Another November goes by and it's time to stop watching CFC unless we know that CHO, RLC and EA are getting into the lineup somehow.

Not the least bit surprised. This squad got to 55% of what Maurizio wants over a month or so ago and just cannot go further.

Now it's up to the manager to start making changes. Changes have been due for some weeks IMO. 

And what about Morata? Can't fix that, I think. He should try another league probably.

The winter curse is because we do not rotate well, in Conte's first season and arguably his 2nd we were able to beat it off because he rotated well. 

18 minutes ago, Vybzkartel said:

The first part of 2014/15 season was probably the best football any Mourinho team has ever played. Shame it didn't last very long