test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Started by Special Juan,

789 posts in this topic
9 hours ago, Vesper said:

Outside the box thinking here...

what about a 3-1-3-3 formation?

GK Kepa

LCB Rudiger

CCB Luiz

RCB Azpi

DMF Destroyer Kante (who, along with the CB's instantly sets up the offence by getting the ball to Jorginho after a pressing turnover or a takeawy)

DH Playmaker Jorginho

CMF Box to Box/AMF hybrid  Kovacic

AMF Barkley or RLC

LW Hazard

RW Pedro or Willian

CF Giroud or Morata

would look like this:

Hazard               Giroud                  Pedro/Willian

Barkley/RLC

Kovacic                                          

Jorginho

<<<<<<<<    Kante      >>>>>>>>> 

Rudiger                                               Luiz                                                   Azpi

Kepa

It would seem to put Kante back in a position where he can go back to what he does best, wreaking havoc as a true DMF floater. It also takes pressure off Luiz and allows Azpi to concentrate on defence. Only player we drop is the turtle Alonso.

Thoughts?

Sarri has said that he doesn't like 3/5 ATB.  I can't find the source, but I believe he was directly asked about it.  Though, it should be said that we effectively do attack in a 343 diamond.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Kante is kind of a rotation option right now.  Against the bigger teams, no doubter.  But against opposition that we need to break down, we may find that Kovacic and Barkley/RLC might be a better option.

Kante is the best midfield destroyer out there, but in a team that has the ball 60-70% of the time, that's less of a need.  If he can start getting further up the pitch and doing his thing of winning the ball back, but in the final 3rd or opponents half, it should lead to a lot of goals.  I'm hoping this happens.

We're one or two players away (departing club) from being a completely mediocre side with a few excellent players that turn heads.

Vesper and kellzfresh like this

2 hours ago, quickpassnmove said:

We're one or two players away (departing club) from being a completely mediocre side with a few excellent players that turn heads.

Pull Hazard, Jorginho, Kovacic and Rudiger out and keep Sarri (and thus his system that nullifies Kante by putting him a bad-fit role) the team as it is now is fucked.

Oh, btw, 2 of those 4 are probably gone in the summer:(

3 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Sarri has said that he doesn't like 3/5 ATB. 

yes but my formation is unlike any of those typical back 3 Conte style Italian set ups.

I do not like them either

boring as fuck footie, even when you win, which soon doesn't happen,

especially if we played Conte ball with some of the shit we have now

oh, that's right, we did that last year, lololol

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

Pull Hazard, Jorginho, Kovacic and Rudiger out and keep Sarri (and thus his system that nullifies Kante by putting him a bad-fit role) the team as it is now is fucked.

Oh, btw, 2 of those 4 are probably gone in the summer:(

Chelsea should be very aggressive for attackers in the January window and grab defenders and maybe another attacker in the summer. Getting attackers in January should mean Eden has better reasons to stay.

I think (hope?) Madrid will be in a transition phase for 2-3 seasons even though their captain and some other strong players remain there. Eden Hazard coming to Madrid will NOT re-ignite the drive for more trophies while Ramos is young enough. However, if Madrid were to buy the top striker before the summer window or early, I suppose there would be greater reason to think Madrid can re-shape themselves quickly. So, this is one big reason why Chelsea should be grabbing 1 or 2 high quality players as early as they can --before Madrid or anyone else can act.

Vesper and Johnnyeye like this

Will Hazard still go to Madrid if Conte goes there though? Rumours say that Conte is Madrid’s first choice should the current manager gets sacked.

(I want the snake in Madrid to have a miserable time in Madrid, Conte going there will be sweeter)

Johnnyeye likes this

14 hours ago, Vesper said:

yes but my formation is unlike any of those typical back 3 Conte style Italian set ups.

I do not like them either

boring as fuck footie, even when you win, which soon doesn't happen,

especially if we played Conte ball with some of the shit we have now

oh, that's right, we did that last year, lololol

I understand, it's more of a 343 like LVG's Ajax side or Cruyff's Barcelona team.

Pep lines up with that from time to time:  http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/08/29/barcelona-5-0-villarreal-tactics/  But only really against specific formations.

Pep got it from Cruyff, but there's still a playmaker at the base of the diamond:  https://spielverlagerung.com/2016/03/25/retro-analysis-1992-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/

Same with LVG:  https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/12/29/1995-cl-final-afc-ajax-ac-milan-10/

Vesper likes this

1 hour ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I understand, it's more of a 343 like LVG's Ajax side or Cruyff's Barcelona team.

Pep lines up with that from time to time:  http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/08/29/barcelona-5-0-villarreal-tactics/  But only really against specific formations.

Pep got it from Cruyff, but there's still a playmaker at the base of the diamond:  https://spielverlagerung.com/2016/03/25/retro-analysis-1992-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/

Same with LVG:  https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/12/29/1995-cl-final-afc-ajax-ac-milan-10/

Well, I am in good company with Pep and Cruyff! LOLOL

Sideshow Luiz likes this

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

Well, I am in good company with Pep and Cruyff! LOLOL

Don't let LVG's last season with Man Utd colour your perspective of him either.  

Johnnyeye likes this

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

His mid 1990's Ajax teams were crazy good

1994-95 especially

Image result

what a team, that Ajax academy surely has produced brilliant players down the years.

!Hazard! likes this

6 hours ago, Vesper said:

His mid 1990's Ajax teams were crazy good

1994-95 especially

Image result

Stacked.

Bosman ruling messed that club up.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4533326/Ajax-1995-Champions-League-Bosman-dismay.html

I knew that they lost some key players due to that, but by 99 they had lost everyone.  Davids, Reiziger, Kluivert, Bogarde all gone for free.

11Drogba and Johnnyeye like this

5 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Stacked.

Bosman ruling messed that club up.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4533326/Ajax-1995-Champions-League-Bosman-dismay.html

I knew that they lost some key players due to that, but by 99 they had lost everyone.  Davids, Reiziger, Kluivert, Bogarde all gone for free.

Ridiculous when you think that this squad would be worth a billion euros today.

lmao what were those subs? taking off Christensen for Luiz when it was Cahill shitting the bed. Then off comes loftus cheek, our brightest attacking spark, always the players with potential that get the hook

kellzfresh and Johnnyeye like this

46 minutes ago, lucio said:

lmao what were those subs? taking off Christensen for Luiz when it was Cahill shitting the bed. Then off comes loftus cheek, our brightest attacking spark, always the players with potential that get the hook

Honestly Christensen was just as poor I felt.

Didn't matter who he took off if the defence didn't play as bad he'd of been able to make positive changes.

Pedro needed minutes, thought Ruben plays well but was a sensible sub to make. 

kellzfresh likes this

Just now, OneMoSalah said:

Honestly Christensen was just as poor I felt. Didn't matter who he took off if the defence didn't play as bad he'd of been able to make positive changes. Pedro needed minutes, thought Ruben plays well but was a sensible sub.

If anything, I'd point the finger at Sarri's rigidity with the player-position selection. Said Loftus-Cheek, Kovacic and Barkley are all competing one place and to compromise, he decided to stick Ruben out wide, which is not even his best position. Why can't he think differently and play a different kind of midfield at times? 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

If anything, I'd point the finger at Sarri's rigidity with the player-position selection. Said Loftus-Cheek, Kovacic and Barkley are all competing one place and to compromise, he decided to stick Ruben out wide, which is not even his best position. Why can't he think differently and play a different kind of midfield at times? 

Tbf looking on how the game went, the pair of Kovacic and Kante had to play, they give us plenty of energy in MF.

Maybe he could have dropped one of them and used Ruben more centrally or used Ross but had Pedro not been brought off the other week then he'd probably have started and we might have seen that.

Again, he's not hugely known for rotatiom and you can see why perhaps. The back 4 was all over the place because they've hardly played together, the spaces between the defence and MF was quite alarming (been an issue with our first 11 at times never mind a second string team).

kellzfresh likes this