test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Started by Special Juan,

516 posts in this topic
40 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

You got no faith?

What we have different (apart from manager,style) is one of the best CM going, It will make such a big difference to our top 3.

OK we dont have a standout 20+ goal giver but I can see them all getting more if they put themselves in the right places in this system.

It's not about faith. I base my outlook on the season on the quality of the squads and the severity of changes the clubs go through.

One of the best midfields is possible, yeah, but Jorginho and Kovacic will have to prove themselves. It's not a given.

Defence is a problem for me and the team lacks firepower.

Chels is going through a big change and three teams are simply stronger for me. They would have to underperform to finish lower than Chelsea I think.

I'd consider 4th and the Europa League and/or FA Cup a succesful season. And then continue to build from there.

2 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

I am confident in our top 4 charge. However I view City and Liverpool as the clear 1/2. I'd expect Us 3rd followed by Spurs or United. A successful season to me is implementing sarri style successfully, re-signing Hazard & Kante, securing Champions league football. We could take the momentum of Hazard/Sarri/CL into the summer and continue with focused QUALITY buying.

We are only a couple of players away from the best team we've had in a long time for me, if we were to replace Alonso, Luiz and Morata, on paper we match up with anyone imo.

Unionjack, akgw13 and Supermonkey92 like this

1 minute ago, DYC. said:

It's not about faith. I base my outlook on the season on the quality of the squads and the severity of the changes the clubs go through.

One of the best midfields is possible, yeah, but Jorginho and Kovacic will have to prove themselves. It's not a given.

Chelsea's defence is a problem for me and the team lacks firepower.

Chels is going through a big change and three teams are simply stronger for me. They would have to underperform to finish lower than Chelsea I think.

I'd consider 4th and the Europa League and/or FA Cup a succesful season. And then continue to build from there.

I'd be happy with top 4 and showing that e are improving as we go and build on it for next season

Of course we got a few that needs upgrding but no way was it a 1 window fix.

I'm quite excited about this season and more than I thought I would be a couple of short weeks ago.

RoyalBlues, akgw13 and 11Drogba like this

3 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

I'd be happy with top 4 and showing that e are improving as we go and build on it for next season

Of course we got a few that needs upgrding but no way was it a 1 window fix.

I'm quite excited about this season and more than I thought I would be a couple of short weeks ago.

Me too. Last season was brutal. I would just fall asleep watching games. This coming season should be much more enjoyable.

Unionjack likes this

Except United, every top 6 side will be playing attacking football. Every team apart from Chelsea, has a 20+ goal CF.

If we ever going to get top 4, a CF must step up then ever in his life. Forget Morata, it has to be someone else. Either Bats, Tammy or ummm...Girou—wait, he’s going to be 32 this season and never scored 20 in his life...

Or we get a CF in January.

Anyway as it stands, 5th/6th for me. Don’t see us beating Spuds, City, Arsenal and Liverpool. These teams are not new to attacking football like us and have a strikeforce that can damage teams including us.

We may have upgraded the midfield, but we don’t have any firepower which is crucial. No top team fears us apart from maybe United. We need goals. Sarriball with no end product is literally Arsenal of 2011. How can the board not see this is beyond me.

I’m sure next season (2019/20) we will get it right.

Yeah do think it'll be between Liverpool and City definitely. Leaning towards Liverpool... Bleh we'll see. 

Hopefully it won't be as painful as last season though. Starting with the first game! 

19 minutes ago, Mana said:

Except United, every top 6 side will be playing attacking football. Every team apart from Chelsea, has a 20+ goal CF.

If we ever going to get top 4, a CF must step up then ever in his life. Forget Morata, it has to be someone else. Either Bats, Tammy or ummm...Girou—wait, he’s going to be 32 this season and never scored 20 in his life...

Or we get a CF in January.

Anyway as it stands, 5th/6th for me. Don’t see us beating Spuds, City, Arsenal and Liverpool. These teams are not new to attacking football like us and have a strikeforce that can damage teams including us.

We may have upgraded the midfield, but we don’t have any firepower which is crucial. No top team fears us apart from maybe United. We need goals. Sarriball with no end product is literally Arsenal of 2011. How can the board not see this is beyond me.

I’m sure next season (2019/20) we will get it right.

Big difference being we will play with 3 attackers and 3 midfielders as opposed to 2 strikers and 3 midfielders. The midfield will make more chances than last season. Plus Willian and Hazard will play together more often. 

Giroud will help the wingers and most offensive midfielder get more chances. Batshuayi is more suited than being a target man. He will be better in a possession based team. 

I know this is a worry you have. So I'll come back periodically throughout the season and we'll see how it's going. I predict a 3rd or 4th place finish. 

10 hours ago, akgw13 said:

I am confident in our top 4 charge. However I view City and Liverpool as the clear 1/2. I'd expect Us 3rd followed by Spurs or United. A successful season to me is implementing sarri style successfully, re-signing Hazard & Kante, securing Champions league football. We could take the momentum of Hazard/Sarri/CL into the summer and continue with focused QUALITY buying.

If we can defend and score goals, maybe.

Big maybe.

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

Did you feel it was bad all season? I felt it was okay upto January, okay we weren't hitting the heights of last season but the structure was still there infact i thought we were doing quite well under the circumstances. It was after new year i felt it went to pot and it almost felt like we replaced Conte with Pulis.

I stopped watching last season well before 2018 rolled in (mid-November/early December). Caught bits of matches here and there, didn't have much interest in anything going on with CFC except that Christensen was playing, others were staying healthy etc., and that we got a couple players in January --one being a left back.

Things I could see without watching much: Morata a push-over, Bakayoko sucks ass.

Hope we're better this year, defend well and we can score, but I think we need some better defenders and better goalscorers in the squad.

Tomo likes this

5 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

At the end:

GK- we become weaker.

Mid- Ok

Wingers- nothing changed.

Striker- nothing changed.

Midfield ok must be the understatement of the decade. We signed the best dlp in the world, got a fit Barkley, RLC and Kovacic on top.

moreover i beliebe a team is more than the sum of its parts. If Sarri gets the team gelling we could be great if not he will be gone before christmas.

At the end:
GK- we become weaker.
Mid- Ok
Wingers- nothing changed.
Striker- nothing changed.

Kepa hasn’t even touched a ball he is already weaker? Jeez, I bet you still think Hudson-Odoi is weaker than Pedro then.

10 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Midfield ok must be the understatement of the decade. We signed the best dlp in the world, got a fit Barkley, RLC and Kovacic on top.

moreover i beliebe a team is more than the sum of its parts. If Sarri gets the team gelling we could be great if not he will be gone before christmas.

I'm worried about our attack.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Fong said:

Kepa hasn’t even touched a ball he is already weaker? Jeez, I bet you still think Hudson-Odoi is weaker than Pedro then.

atm, you can't think he's in the same level that tibo, that's all.
about HO, he's good and talented, even can play before pedro.

9 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yeah, the past season midfield was our weakest position. We only had 1 player worthy of starting for us (Kante), now we have 3 with decent backups. Midfield is much stronger now and as a result the team is stronger because we haven't weakened in other outfield positions. Tottenham at the same time have stood still so we can definitely overtake them. Arsenal is a wildcard, will need to see how they play. Think we can now seriously challenge for top 4, maybe even the 3rd place.

11Drogba likes this

Why not? This is not FIFA, judge a player based on ratings. Let the guy plays first then draw your conclusion.

Its our top 3 (and LB) that we need to look at.

I would put our CM up against anyone in the PL right now which we have been needing for a long time. All strong,fast,skillfull and will be an amazing help for our front lads.

I would have no problem at all going purely by pre season to start CHO and leave him where he is.

I would put Eden on RW. Its not the 1st time we have done it and it worked fine.

And IF Bats is off on loan I would be very tempted to stick Pedro in as CF. Hes a direct,nippy little bugga and might be what we need

We haven't been able to get the ball forward before but now we have ways. Those 3 lads they are all fast and they will think every day is Xmas.

I really dont hope Sarri doesn't get into a Eden  Morata  Willian rut and not work his way out of it.

1 hour ago, xPetrCechx said:

I find that statement ironic. You have watched Hudson-Odoi and Pedro and so, you conclude the former is better than the latter, which is fine. But have you watched Kepa before? If not, then how can you conclude we are weaker in the keeper area with him replacing Courtois? Is it just because you, like the majority, have never heard of him before this past week?

1 hour ago, manpe said:

Yeah, the past season midfield was our weakest position. We only had 1 player worthy of starting for us (Kante), now we have 3 with decent backups. Midfield is much stronger now and as a result the team is stronger because we haven't weakened in other outfield positions. Tottenham at the same time have stood still so we can definitely overtake them. Arsenal is a wildcard, will need to see how they play. Think we can now seriously challenge for top 4, maybe even the 3rd place.

Spuds standing still doesn't mean we will takeover them.

Just now, Mana said:

Spuds standing still doesn't mean we will takeover them.

I know