Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

3 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Possession...check

Chance creation....check (or close enough)

Pressing...clearly work in progress, but should get there

The big question for me is....where are all the goals going to come from? The one consistent trend in our past few matches is the inability to maintain a-goal-a-game ratio

Giroud is not the most prolific, and then there's Morata. Unless Sarri creates a Salah or Mertens out of one of the midfielders, I'm a bit worried. Its a shame Pedro isn't any younger. He could have been a suitable candidate for the Mertens role.

Pedro could still play the mertens role imo. If Morata still doesnt improve after the first five EPL games, then it is worth a gamble to put pedro there. He understands the system, is still fast, is a better finisher than anyone in our team and will allow our front line to be more fluid.

4 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Possession...check

Chance creation....check (or close enough)

Pressing...clearly work in progress, but should get there

The big question for me is....where are all the goals going to come from? The one consistent trend in our past few matches is the inability to maintain a-goal-a-game ratio

Giroud is not the most prolific, and then there's Morata. Unless Sarri creates a Salah or Mertens out of one of the midfielders, I'm a bit worried. Its a shame Pedro isn't any younger. He could have been a suitable candidate for the Mertens role.

IF we dont get a goal scorer of some standard today then I'm open to trying every possibility cause the ones we have now dont work.

SEEMS Tammy is staying but going by his opening tries I dont see why. Bats is off on ventures again. Giroud is just a target for crosses and sad to say Morata needs a good psychologist.

Pedro wont last a full game with his demented Freddy Mercury character but got to go down every avenue to find one that leads to goals.

3 minutes ago, Mana said:

Dear Bats,

This is your chance to show what you’re made of. You’re our last hope.

Otherwise we are screwed and 5th/6th place is calling for us at the end of the season.

Become our new blue superhero.

he already scored the championship goal :)

6 hours ago, milka said:

DkJ73sOX0AANftN.png

Big ass squad. Not just the 'red players' will have to leave. 25 senior players alone (+ Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi) is too much. So I wonder who's leaving.

Looking at the quality of the top6 squads, I rate City's, Utd's and Pool's team higher than Chelsea's. Chels also going through a big change in terms of style.

So City to retain the title, Liverpool and Utd chasing City and Chels, Spurs and Arsenal for 4th for me. If the transition under Sarri goes well, Chels should finish above Arsenal. Spurs failed to strengthen so that could possibly hurt them. Though compared to last season they do have a fit Alderweireld, Rose, Wanyama, Winks and even Dembele to certain extent.

Hopefully finishing 5th last season and a fresh start under Sarri will fire this lot up to secure that top 4 finish at the very least. Maybe add the Europa League and a cup to gloss up 18/19 and set a winning mood.

18 minutes ago, DYC. said:

So City to retain the title, Liverpool and Utd chasing City and Chels, Spurs and Arsenal for 4th for me

You got no faith?

What we have different (apart from manager,style) is one of the best CM going, It will make such a big difference to our top 3.

OK we dont have a standout 20+ goal giver but I can see them all getting more if they put themselves in the right places in this system.

Don't expect Sarriball to work in an instant. Give it half a year. Sarri is our board's dream head coach, think he will stay for 2 years if we at least qualify for CL next season.

Well, we will play once a week (we will play kids for EL anyway), so that will be a nice handicap. Think we have a good chance to compete for top 4. If something bad happened, we could shift the target for EL trophy. EFL or FA is a bonus.

I think we have enough to make top 4, I was really worried about our strike force initially but my thoughts are, or hopes rather... in Sarri's more attacking system, our front 3 should be full of confidence and expressing themselves like we've never seen them able to before and this should mean more goals.

We've gone from having one of the worst to one of the best midfields of top 6. I believe what Pep has done to the likes of Sterling etc is just through confidence and the fun he allows players to have, Sarri should bring this also if he is what we expect him to be.

I am confident in our top 4 charge. However I view City and Liverpool as the clear 1/2. I'd expect Us 3rd followed by Spurs or United. A successful season to me is implementing sarri style successfully, re-signing Hazard & Kante, securing Champions league football. We could take the momentum of Hazard/Sarri/CL into the summer and continue with focused QUALITY buying.

40 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

You got no faith?

What we have different (apart from manager,style) is one of the best CM going, It will make such a big difference to our top 3.

OK we dont have a standout 20+ goal giver but I can see them all getting more if they put themselves in the right places in this system.

It's not about faith. I base my outlook on the season on the quality of the squads and the severity of changes the clubs go through.

One of the best midfields is possible, yeah, but Jorginho and Kovacic will have to prove themselves. It's not a given.

Defence is a problem for me and the team lacks firepower.

Chels is going through a big change and three teams are simply stronger for me. They would have to underperform to finish lower than Chelsea I think.

I'd consider 4th and the Europa League and/or FA Cup a succesful season. And then continue to build from there.

2 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

I am confident in our top 4 charge. However I view City and Liverpool as the clear 1/2. I'd expect Us 3rd followed by Spurs or United. A successful season to me is implementing sarri style successfully, re-signing Hazard & Kante, securing Champions league football. We could take the momentum of Hazard/Sarri/CL into the summer and continue with focused QUALITY buying.

We are only a couple of players away from the best team we've had in a long time for me, if we were to replace Alonso, Luiz and Morata, on paper we match up with anyone imo.

1 minute ago, DYC. said:

It's not about faith. I base my outlook on the season on the quality of the squads and the severity of the changes the clubs go through.

One of the best midfields is possible, yeah, but Jorginho and Kovacic will have to prove themselves. It's not a given.

Chelsea's defence is a problem for me and the team lacks firepower.

Chels is going through a big change and three teams are simply stronger for me. They would have to underperform to finish lower than Chelsea I think.

I'd consider 4th and the Europa League and/or FA Cup a succesful season. And then continue to build from there.

I'd be happy with top 4 and showing that e are improving as we go and build on it for next season

Of course we got a few that needs upgrding but no way was it a 1 window fix.

I'm quite excited about this season and more than I thought I would be a couple of short weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

I'd be happy with top 4 and showing that e are improving as we go and build on it for next season

Of course we got a few that needs upgrding but no way was it a 1 window fix.

I'm quite excited about this season and more than I thought I would be a couple of short weeks ago.

Me too. Last season was brutal. I would just fall asleep watching games. This coming season should be much more enjoyable.

19 minutes ago, Mana said:

Except United, every top 6 side will be playing attacking football. Every team apart from Chelsea, has a 20+ goal CF.

If we ever going to get top 4, a CF must step up then ever in his life. Forget Morata, it has to be someone else. Either Bats, Tammy or ummm...Girou—wait, he’s going to be 32 this season and never scored 20 in his life...

Or we get a CF in January.

Anyway as it stands, 5th/6th for me. Don’t see us beating Spuds, City, Arsenal and Liverpool. These teams are not new to attacking football like us and have a strikeforce that can damage teams including us.

We may have upgraded the midfield, but we don’t have any firepower which is crucial. No top team fears us apart from maybe United. We need goals. Sarriball with no end product is literally Arsenal of 2011. How can the board not see this is beyond me.

I’m sure next season (2019/20) we will get it right.

Big difference being we will play with 3 attackers and 3 midfielders as opposed to 2 strikers and 3 midfielders. The midfield will make more chances than last season. Plus Willian and Hazard will play together more often. 

Giroud will help the wingers and most offensive midfielder get more chances. Batshuayi is more suited than being a target man. He will be better in a possession based team. 

I know this is a worry you have. So I'll come back periodically throughout the season and we'll see how it's going. I predict a 3rd or 4th place finish. 

10 hours ago, akgw13 said:

If we can defend and score goals, maybe.

Big maybe.