Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Ironically the job he has done with RLC and CHO this season has been a huge positive for the club as both have come on leaps and bounds as the season has progressed and are now both arguably first choice options.

Sarri's style is such a culture shift away from what a large contingent of players are used to under Mourinho and Conte before him and that would be an extremely difficult thing to change within the more experienced older players. 

Even with a transfer ban, if Sarri was to keep his job, I think he needs to look at the progression of RLC and CHO and realise that some more trust in younger players may be needed, who he can mould into his ideology and style having been fairly unexposed to anything in particular yet in their careers. There are 3 or 4 players we could easily integrate into this squad, plus Pulisic coming in next season to start the process of refreshing and rebuilding this squad.

If the club are to go 'all in' with Sarri and are prepared to take a couple of steps back initially to make bigger progress moving forwards then they should also be taking this opportunity to get some of the younger players coming through too.

Why are people suddenly acting like Sarri is doing something revolutionary with our young players? Any non-blind manager would know we have good young players that can be developed into great players. It's just that the board were clueless (still are) and hired managers who don't have a good track record in developing talents. It's worth remembering that Sarri was still favoring Barkley/Kovacic over Loftus-Cheek and Pedro/Willian over CHO until the very recent protest at Cardiff. Had it not been for that, would Sarri have put out the XI we saw in the last 3 league games? Highly doubt it. And speaking of development, it's also worth questioning whether Sarri has actually improved the players, never mind the team as a whole. Has any player actually gotten better under Sarri? It's hard to even pinpoint one and worse of all, he hasn't even improved his own players like Jorginho, Kovacic etc. If he can't even improve the players, then what makes fit to turn our fortunes' around for the better in the long run? 

I always said I will not get mad if we lose with young players. 

Sarri is doing what I wanted so I'm please. 

Just continue to play them and everything is fine. We know with young players we are bound to have ups and down. I much rather have those ups and down with our youth, then with old internationals. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Why are people suddenly acting like Sarri is doing something revolutionary with our young players? Any non-blind manager would know we have good young players that can be developed into great players. It's just that the board were clueless (still are) and hired managers who don't have a good track record in developing talents. It's worth remembering that Sarri was still favoring Barkley/Kovacic over Loftus-Cheek and Pedro/Willian over CHO until the very recent protest at Cardiff. Had it not been for that, would Sarri have put out the XI we saw in the last 3 league games? Highly doubt it. And speaking of development, it's also worth questioning whether Sarri has actually improved the players, never mind the team as a whole. Has any player actually gotten better under Sarri? It's hard to even pinpoint one and worse of all, he hasn't even improved his own players like Jorginho, Kovacic etc. If he can't even improve the players, then what makes fit to turn our fortunes' around for the better in the long run? 

Fair point, it has taken a long time for him to play these players but I do think playing them away at Liverpool is a big indicator that he is ready to run with them as a big part of our squad moving forward.

I don't think what he's doing is revolutionary but a part of me does worry if Sarri walks in the summer, will we revert back to square one with a new manager wanting to play a completely different way and suddenly Willian/Pedro are ahead of CHO in the pecking order, etc immediately based on reputation, giving under performing players yet another chance. At the moment everything is pure speculation but if the club let some players leave in the summer and looked to refresh the squad with some academy and loan players and Sarri is open to working with them, as well as continuing to develop the likes of RLC and CHO, that may not be a bad choice. Especially if we are restricted in the summer with a transfer ban.

I think he has improved RLC and CHO as the season has gone on, especially tactically. Now this may be just as much down to the players learning and adapting to Sarri's methods and tactics but if that is the case then it adds further strength to a plan to try and bring through a couple more academy players next season because they seem to be the biggest positives currently.

8 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

13 times we've conceded a goal between 45-56mins.

Sarri's half time team talks working well then.

That's a bit harsh. If you analyse it, it's always ONE individual mistake that leads to the team completely switching off. It's as if conceding a goal completely drains the player's moral and give up. 

42 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

That's a bit harsh. If you analyse it, it's always ONE individual mistake that leads to the team completely switching off. It's as if conceding a goal completely drains the player's moral and give up. 

Seems to happen a lot-  after the third, fifth time it happened, questions should be asked and  measures should be taken. 

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Fair point, it has taken a long time for him to play these players but I do think playing them away at Liverpool is a big indicator that he is ready to run with them as a big part of our squad moving forward.

Better late than never I guess but given how things panned out, all I see is a manager who lacked the balls to change his stubborn ways with his starting XI when we all saw the problem and he only did so after the fans protested against him for the second time within a month. Things might have gotten slightly better but it looked like an act of desperation from a man who was trying to save himself from the sack! It's also worth questioning whether he knows his best starting XI when he keeps making some mind-boggling changes from time-to-time. And this starting XI issue is only one of many issues with Sarri...

I don't think what he's doing is revolutionary but a part of me does worry if Sarri walks in the summer, will we revert back to square one with a new manager wanting to play a completely different way and suddenly Willian/Pedro are ahead of CHO in the pecking order, etc immediately based on reputation, giving under performing players yet another chance. At the moment everything is pure speculation but if the club let some players leave in the summer and looked to refresh the squad with some academy and loan players and Sarri is open to working with them, as well as continuing to develop the likes of RLC and CHO, that may not be a bad choice. Especially if we are restricted in the summer with a transfer ban.

Willian and Pedro have only 1 year left on their contracts. They can't be kept around forever. Even our board can't fail to realize that. If we avoid the transfer ban, we might well sell Willian given his contract situation (hello Barcelona...). 

It's a case of putting your faith in idiots in this one but if we sack Sarri, then gotta hope the board actually do their due diligence in the hiring process and not just hire the flavor of the month.

I don't trust Sarri to manage and improve our young players. Take for example with CHO. For months, Sarri said one thing about him but then did another thing. It took two protests, countless of sacking reports, and media pressure for him to actually start CHO a tad more regularly than before. What does that say about him? Plus, he has barely managed to improve any of our senior players. If he can't do that, then what makes you feel confident that he will do so with our youth players in the long run? This is a manager who prefers to stick with bang average players like Kovacic. He would stick with the likes of him over more talented players.

I think he has improved RLC and CHO as the season has gone on, especially tactically. Now this may be just as much down to the players learning and adapting to Sarri's methods and tactics but if that is the case then it adds further strength to a plan to try and bring through a couple more academy players next season because they seem to be the biggest positives currently.

That positivity isn't gonna hide Sarri's deficiencies in the long run. Even if he has improved Loftus-Cheek and CHO, it doesn't mean he's the right manager long term wise. It's a similar case when we had Benitez in the past.

Nothing Sarri has done this season gives me confidence that he will do better next time if we let him stick around and you could probably make a strong argument that we have the worst manager among the top six. Probably the worst of all is I rarely enjoy watching us play anymore this season. Am used to us having shit seasons but Sarri has just completely sucked the life out of football with the things he's done, which is ironic after he said he wanted to bring 'fun' to our play!

30 minutes ago, Mana said:

Too many fuckups Sarri has done. Just too many. If yesterday was an off day, fair enough. But it’s like almost every PL game is an off day. Our away performances has been absolutely shocking overall. Yesterday wasn’t shocking, but it’s an improved version of the same shit we have been seeing.

Now we are in the position of praying that Arsenal fucks up their two games in hand to get us back in it. Oh, and we still have to go to Old Trafford. We could be NINE points behind Arsenal after losing to United.

I still don't care. 

Playing youth, and I'm happy with that. 

47 minutes ago, Mana said:

Too many fuckups Sarri has done. Just too many. If yesterday was an off day, fair enough. But it’s like almost every PL game is an off day. Our away performances has been absolutely shocking overall. Yesterday wasn’t shocking, but it’s an improved version of the same shit we have been seeing.

Now we are in the position of praying that Arsenal fucks up their two games in hand to get us back in it. Oh, and we still have to go to Old Trafford. We could be NINE points behind Arsenal after losing to United.

the ten games that fucked us (the Liverpool game due to us choking and ending up with a draw via that Sturridge wonder shot)

the only true upset game we won was that Shitty game, which gave the old smoker false hope that his cocked-up false nine was worthwhile

6 draws, 4 losses

The 6 most outrageous ones drawing at West Ham, drawing at home v Everton, losing at home to Leicester, drawing at home to SOTON, that HORRID 4 nil away to bloody Bournemouth (Sarri should have been sacked at that point) and then drawing at home v Wolves (one could argue that losing at Wolves in a close game was not that bad, as they are a great team on their night at home, but not that great away)

that's 14 dropped points right there 

IF we took just 8 points of those 14 dropped in those 6 games, JUST 8 ( and still added ZERO points gained from those other 4 games as well)

and LOST to Manure in the upcoming game

and won the other 3 remaining

we would be third, no team could mathematically catch us even if they won every game left, if we took 7 points (so half) only Spurs could tie us (GD would matter then) and that is they win EVERY game left, including Shitty away

no one could mathematically catch us, not arse, not Spuds

there is the season's post-mortem if we do not win the EL (as that is 90% the only way we are getting CL)

unless there is massive cock ups, I do not see us getting 4th or 3rd

even if we win the last 4 EPL games

still care about the Manure game

as we can guarantee them no CL next year (pretty much) with a win

that is massive, as it will so fuck them up in the transfer market for the HUGE players

9e953329476bb65a8b202a99a9cb0912.png2da75fe3372ce2500e23e5ff9cfdd29f.pngc119c38d958a7ef30619d275183cd481.png8d8bc1a2126666f2242bf701e88d25b1.png3d46a6bd7d88127877bf37758dd88e6b.png8b663b65e52b9c9326107f7ca7a60821.png23c4f709c55e932e6c2565e5b03060e8.pngfab4ebb8c5cb7a77388ebe4d52473441.pngda9e70c68ec7aa61ef047d584ad2af61.pnga352dc07a5bf7d6aa0a1c48c75499f44.png

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

So then who is the right man for the job, out of curiosity? 

I'll ask this again, who supposedly is the 'right man' for the job if so many people don't think it's Sarri?

Seems to me, by what you lot want, is a manager that does these things - 

- Plays and develops Youth

- Plays entertaining football

- Won Trophies

- Has a plan B

- Good in the transfer market 

- Isn't stubborn and adapts his style

So who is this manager then? 

Loads of games you could look at and point to this and that, but the problem being is we went into the season with another shit transfer window and some very average players.

Alonso, Morata,Willian, Pedro and Luiz are really not that good when you compare what others have, to them. It looked good for a while but the best teams sustain and in tough games dig deep, not only dig deep but see games out. We are a bit weak mentality wise too, we couldn't more further away from City and Liverpool, and I mean miles away.

That season after we won the title at West Brom we never had the big transfer window that was needed, it was as if we were content, and you can just be content with that.

1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

Loads of games you could look at and point to this and that, but the problem being is we went into the season with another shit transfer window and some very average players.

Alonso, Morata,Willian, Pedro and Luiz are really not that good when you compare what others have, to them. It looked good for a while but the best teams sustain and in tough games dig deep, not only dig deep but see games out. We are a bit weak mentality wise too, we couldn't more further away from City and Liverpool, and I mean miles away.

That season after we won the title at West Brom we never had the big transfer window that was needed, it was as if we were content, and you can just be content with that.

Its annoying that so many saw they'd be issues... Yet the board and Co plodded on.

Its like the last window with Jose people were told to calm down and joking oh we'll finish bottom half for not signing lol..lol. And we nearly did! 

Some of the signings have been bonkers pointless. 

7 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I'll ask this again, who supposedly is the 'right man' for the job if so many people don't think it's Sarri?

Seems to me, by what you lot want, is a manager that does these things - 

- Plays and develops Youth

- Plays entertaining football

- Won Trophies

- Has a plan B

- Good in the transfer market 

- Isn't stubborn and adapts his style

So who is this manager then? 

Joachim Löw FTW

Image result for Joachim Löw

36 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

I wouldn't agree that we were content that summer, we spent more than enough that summer to suggest it was or should have been a 'big' transfer window (including breaking our transfer record at the time), the problem was the quality of our recruitment. The only success from that summer was Rudiger, the rest have tanked.

Our recruitment in recent seasons has been overall very poor, with players who have left not being replaced adequately. 

I do agree however how far we're behind City and Liverpool at present. It won't take a quick fix and papering over cracks this time, the club as a whole including us fans need to be prepared that this may take time and patience to get us back to that level challenging again,