Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Just now, Jason said:

Who's asking for Sarri to pick Giroud every week? Higuain wasn't 100% fit. So why start him in a game that we needed to win? 

Because regardless you pick your best players to win games. Like when we played Costa when he wasnt fully fit under Jose and Conte. For instance as well, if Eden or Kante were only 60 or 70% fit would you think Sarri would bench them? Not a chance. Playing Giroud from the beginning, as much as I like Giroud, what he offers and his attiude when he plays, would have been a mistake.

17 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Also theres about 8 weeks to go of the season, why bring Steve Holland in now? Its blatently obvious the players are as big an issue as the manager. Either not commited or not good enough. Same happened under Jose and Conte. Yet when it happened the players were responsible (after a while past Joses public comments and Contes sulk) a lot more than they are now it would appear. Its hilarious we are going to have this same cycle again if Sarri was to be sacked and replaced. Some of these players are too comfortable. 

The players are a problem and so is Sarri, who seems to make things worse every time. 

Call it shit luck or lack of due diligence from the board but we have had managers who make things worse every time, one way or another. Mourinho was hell-bent on creating drama, controversy, a toxic atmosphere around. Conte, who was actually doing alright up till January last season, but decided to sulk and stink up the whole place with his endless moaning. Sarri just looks like a clueless manager, one who is out his depth - can't understand what's wrong the team, blames players after defeats, admitted he can't motivate the players, uses one-dimensional tactics, makes like-for-like subs etc. 

3 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Because regardless you pick your best players to win games. Like when we played Costa when he wasnt fully fit under Jose and Conte. For instance as well, if Eden or Kante were only 60 or 70% fit would you think Sarri would bench them? Not a chance. Playing Giroud from the beginning, as much as I like Giroud, what he offers and his attiude when he plays, would have been a mistake.

Picking your best player is one thing but picking an unfit player is another. And what did Higuain even do on Sunday really? Think he had like 1-2 shots and that was it.

What you said would have been on point had Sarri not benched Hazard early on in the season when he was just returning from the World Cup and an extended summer break. 

38 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If he's being offered the job here they won't have a choice, even the FA aren't as heartless to deny him the opportunity of a lifetime, furthermore can't you combine being a club manager with being an assistant in the National set up? McLaren did.

He was doing both jobs before if I remember rightly, but they made him an offer he couldn't refuse

10 minutes ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

I'd actually be genuinely shocked if we sacked him now, with 8 games left.  europa to play for.

Really believe he will go in the summer, though.  I think he is out of his depth

If we somehow win the Europa League win, then the board won't sack him regardless of the shit results in the league. If not, then he'll likely get the sack. Of course, that is assuming he doesn't get sacked before then...

1 minute ago, Jason said:

The players are a problem and so is Sarri, who seems to make things worse every time. 

Call it shit luck or lack of due diligence from the board but we have had managers who make things worse every time, one way or another. Mourinho was hell-bent on creating drama, controversy, a toxic atmosphere around. Conte, who was actually doing alright up till January last season, but decided to sulk and stink up the whole place with his endless moaning. Sarri just looks like a clueless manager, one who is out his depth - can't understand what's wrong the team, blames players after defeats, admitted he can't motivate the players, uses one-dimensional tactics, makes like-for-like subs etc. 

The thing is though, qhen a new manager comes in it wipes the slate clean. If Conte remained in the summer, guys like Willian, Luiz, Hazard would have all left.  Other than Eden due to his ability, would Luiz and Willian leaving have been a bad thing? If someone comes in again and gives Willian, Luiz, player x, y, z a clean slate then we are gonna keep getting the same shit. Sarri has been bold enough to move Kante for Jorginho. Hes even started dropping Alonso in recent months. I think he should be given another summer although our transfer ban is gonna fuck us now, to clear out a few more and get some fresh blood in to change the dynamic. No point continuously changing managers every season or two which weve been doing for almost 10 years now. We used to be able to throw a few hundred million at a few players and paper over the cracks but you cant do that do that every time these days because City, United, Liverpool are all adding more and more quality every window. 

Personally if we got rid of 5-7 players and had 5-7 new players I reckon there would be a huge difference in how our season has gone. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Picking your best player is one thing but picking an unfit player is another. And what did Higuain even do on Sunday really? Think he had like 1-2 shots and that was it.

What you said would have been on point had Sarri not benched Hazard early on in the season when he was just returning from the World Cup and an extended summer break. 

He had a very very good chance to score, which was saved. The difference in him and Morata is night and day. Costa was one of the best strikers I have seen in years for movement but Higuain is certainly making very good runs that Costa would of made. The difference is he hasnt been as clinical. Fitness is an issue but again, it was well documented in Italy and since his arrival. 

Playing Hazard after he had played in every game upto the semi finals of a world cup is different though surely? I know what I said but I dont think any manager is stupid enough to do that because its more than inevitable a burnout or injury would of occured due to not being given a break of some sort. Without a world cup or euros the rest time before pre season is greater which is better for players returning to get match fit.

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

The thing is though, qhen a new manager comes in it wipes the slate clean. If Conte remained in the summer, guys like Willian, Luiz, Hazard would have all left.  Other than Eden due to his ability, would Luiz and Willian leaving have been a bad thing? If someone comes in again and gives Willian, Luiz, player x, y, z a clean slate then we are gonna keep getting the same shit. Sarri has been bold enough to move Kante for Jorginho. Hes even started dropping Alonso in recent months. I think he should be given another summer although our transfer ban is gonna fuck us now, to clear out a few more and get some fresh blood in to change the dynamic. No point continuously changing managers every season or two which weve been doing for almost 10 years now. We used to be able to throw a few hundred million at a few players and paper over the cracks but you cant do that do that every time these days because City, United, Liverpool are all adding more and more quality every window. 

Personally if we got rid of 5-7 players and had 5-7 new players I reckon there would be a huge difference in how our season has gone. 

We definitely need to rebuild the squad, that I don't disagree. We have needed it for years! But is Sarri the right manager to oversee this all? HELL NO!

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

He had a very very good chance to score, which was saved. The difference in him and Morata is night and day. Costa was one of the best strikers I have seen in years for movement but Higuain is certainly making very good runs that Costa would of made. The difference is he hasnt been as clinical. Fitness is an issue but again, it was well documented in Italy and since his arrival. 

It might have been well documented but Sarri admitted that Higuain was having a fever. So why play him then? 

3 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Playing Hazard after he had played in every game upto the semi finals of a world cup is different though surely? I know what I said but I dont think any manager is stupid enough to do that because its more than inevitable a burnout or injury would of occured due to not being given a break of some sort. Without a world cup or euros the rest time before pre season is greater which is better for players returning to get match fit.

Point is, he wasn't 100% fit and he wasn't played from the start. 

I just hope if we really call tiem on the SArri experiment, that the efforts to play posession football are over for good and they don't hire another "attacking" manager ever again. That is not the Chelsea way. We will never go to the Etihad and tear City apart with intricate passing in the next decade or so. But City are actually only 2 world class fullbacks better than the side we ripped apart with our counter attacks 2 years ago. The players are  herd of cows that need a resolute man to whip them in a sensible direction and they will trample things down. Right now they are just wandering around aimlessly bc no one buys into Sarri's out-dated ideas. 

If we really replace the fraud with Holland I really got no clue what will happen. I read that Holland is well respected at the club and he probably is one of the most decorated assistant managers in English football but his only season in a senior team as first manager came at Crewe Alexandra, one of the worst pro clubs in English football and was hardly spectacular.  

The problem with Sarri gettin sacked is that the next manager will again be an uninspired choice. Chelsea probably will make a list of managers that had a previous job in a big club in a big European league or a manager coming from a big NT. So I'm pretty sure those names will be in the "next manager list":

-Roberto Macini.

-Didier Deschamps.

-Julen Lopetegui

-Luis Enrique

-Genaro Gattuso

-Simeone

-Lucien Favre

Instead of appointing the obvious choice: Nuno Espirito Santo.

The problem with Sarri gettin sacked is that the next manager will again be an uninspired choice. Chelsea probably will make a list of managers that had a previous job in a big club in a big European league or a manager coming from a big NT. So I'm pretty sure those names will be in the "next manager list":

-Roberto Macini.

-Didier Deschamps.

-Julen Lopetegui

-Luis Enrique

-Genaro Gattuso

-Simeone

-Lucien Favre

1 hour ago, Henrique said:

-Roberto Macini.

-Didier Deschamps.

-Julen Lopetegui

-Luis Enrique

-Genaro Gattuso

-Simeone

-Lucien Favre

Simeone is hardly any uninspired choice.

I like Sarri idea of Sarriball, but he is completely unfit in player management.

Terrible subs, terrible rotation, terrible preferences (picking out of form players, benching inform or talented players), motivating team, etc...

Perhaps he is simply not a good fit for a club with big stars and expectations. Doesnt show enough authority and psychological understsnding.

Take Zidane for example, maybe not the best tactic ever, but almost unrivaled in player management. He sees players work hard, they play (Vazquez) and benches underperformers regardless of their status. Isco when in form played, when not, he got benched soon. Simple.

3 hours ago, Henrique said:

Not sure on the obvious ... but again Nuno Santo looks similar to how Sarri looked at Napoli and his track record doesnt paint a solid record as well. Yes currently he showing some potential but then if we have to think about it, havent we taken a chance on AVB and Sarri already. With player power being so dominant in the dressing room, it will be difficult for any young/promising manager to come in and turn tides. 

IDK ... It's confusing right now and we have made it so difficult after sacking so many managers ...

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

I am actually a bit torn regarding Sarri at the minute, i actually like what he's trying to do system wise and especially like how comfortable we are in possession and the ease we play out of danger under pressure (which were big weaknesses even in our title winning sides) but at the same time the mentality this season is awful, the first blow in a game especially away from home and we collapse, Bournemouth and Everton i thought we were excellent in every sense bar finishing in the first half but we concede early in the second and lose the plot, even at City the opening few minutes we forced a couple of mistakes and looked like we were going to give it a good shot but we concede then another 3 follow in the next 20. 

What is crucial beyond any Sarri in or out argument is we carry on with the good stuff he's implemented and build from that, none of this back to reactive pragmatism because that's part of what created this problem in the first place.

We have no choice. Chelsea football Club cannot play high pressing attacking football. Every manager that tries it gets burned, so let us stop deceiving ourselves and get a Simione/Allegri type of manager. 

The moment we missed out on Guardiola, we missed out on ever playing attacking football at this club. I have made my peace with that, so defensive, counterattacking football is the only way to go.