Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

A lot of fuss about something that wouldn't even have been significant if it wasn't for Sarri's reaction to it all. It's not like he was refusing to come off for a tactical sub, just a lack of communication or understanding. If Sarri had just accepted Kepa's okay, nothing would have happened.

Happens almost every week that a player goes down for treatment and a substitution is being readied, only for it to be called off when the player signals they're okey to continue. Now Sarri made a mess of it, things got heated and now the media are going on and on about it being "player power at Chelsea". Don't remember reading anything about player power at Spurs when Lloris refused to be substituted, and he was actually concussed at the time for fucks sake.

I blame three parties equally for all this:

1) Sarri for his unnecessary tantrum

2) Kepa for not going near the technical area to clear things up with the coaching staff and tell them he was feeling fine, instead he just waved his hands around and did nothing. Also that wink to the cameras was really unneeded and only fuel to the fire for the media. 

3) Azpilicueta for disappearing when the team needed their captain to help sorting it out.

Other than the drama with the keeper I can only applaud the team and Sarri for their efforts today. It wasn't enough to get the trophy today but the players really fought hard for it and Sarri at last showed some tactical flexibility and made substitutions that actually impacted the game. If it wasn't overshadowed by the circus acts near the end, I'd give today a solid 9/10 despite the loss on penalties because it actually gives hope for other big games under Sarri.

Player power has been a problem at the club for some time, this is just another example of it.

Concerning that other members of the coaching staff didn't try very hard to get Kepa off the field... Is Zola going to play the Di Matteo role and will Zola take over until the end of the season? who knows. There were plenty of staff and players there who could have got the message across Kepa if it was a language issue though.

A disappointing end to what was an impressive performance today, expect to see an apology put out from Kepa, maybe drop him for a couple of games and then stick him back in.

To be honest though, even if the players are not behind the manager I would have expected them to give it a good go today like they did, after all it was a cup final, something that can go on the CV, everyone wants to win a trophy.

Looking forward to seeing if we can start playing like we did today in the league again.

I reckon it was a pre planned sub by Sarri for Willy's penalty saving ability.  No misunderstanding. Otherwise explain Rudiger having to hold Sarri back from ranting at Kepa before the pens were taken.  Face saving exercise.  If Kepa starts v Spurs, then its been dealt with internally. If Kepa's hamstring is suddenly playing up so he misses out... says it all

Cynical bastard that i am

9 minutes ago, Midlands-Blue said:

Player power has been a problem at the club for some time, this is just another example of it.

Concerning that other members of the coaching staff didn't try very hard to get Kepa off the field... Is Zola going to play the Di Matteo role and will Zola take over until the end of the season? who knows. There were plenty of staff and players there who could have got the message across Kepa if it was a language issue though.

A disappointing end to what was an impressive performance today, expect to see an apology put out from Kepa, maybe drop him for a couple of games and then stick him back in.

To be honest though, even if the players are not behind the manager I would have expected them to give it a good go today like they did, after all it was a cup final, something that can go on the CV, everyone wants to win a trophy.

Looking forward to seeing if we can start playing like we did today in the league again.

Same.  Suspect today was a one off though.  

56 minutes ago, Strike said:

Sarri's immediate reaction was in the heat of the moment. His interview later in which he was asked about this repeatedly was classy and dignified. I have no problem with a passionate manager getting angry like that as long ashe reviews the situation with a cool head later on. 

Yeah but the damage was already done by then by Sarri, Kepa etc. Now all people talk about is player power, mutiny etc. :doh: 

Just now, Jason said:

Yeah but the damage was already done by then by Sarri, Kepa etc. Now all people talk about is player power, mutiny etc. :doh: 

To the hell with the media. They are there for headlines and to sell news. They don't care about Chelsea. 

I am more worried about Chelsea fans. Clearly some of them including you maybe don't see the improvement in our team. All they see is F Sarriball. What they don't see is the first time in 3 years since Pep came to epl, we can go toe to toe with city. 

9 minutes ago, communicate said:

To the hell with the media. They are there for headlines and to sell news. They don't care about Chelsea. 

I am more worried about Chelsea fans. Clearly some of them including you maybe don't see the improvement in our team. All they see is F Sarriball. What they don't see is the first time in 3 years since Pep came to epl, we can go toe to toe with city. 

On our game plan yesterday, kudos to Sarri for changing it up but funny thing is, he was brought in to implement his style but ended up using Conte's/Mourinho's to almost beat City in the final. Given the home win we had vs City in December and yesterday's performance, makes you wonder why Sarri didn't adopt the same approach at the Etihad Stadium recently. Might still have lost but wouldn't have lost 6-0.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

On our game plan yesterday, kudos to Sarri for changing it up but funny thing is, he was brought in to implement his style but ended up using Conte's/Mourinho's to almost beat City in the final. Given the home win we had vs City in December and yesterday's performance, makes you wonder why Sarri didn't adopt the same approach at the Etihad Stadium recently. Might still have lost but wouldn't have lost 6-0.

Nope, that was not a Conte or Mou, sit deep for the whole 90 minutes and pray we score from counter or set pieces. That was completely different. Instead of high press we use medium block press. We press them with kante and Barkley. We basically shut their passing lane. Plus not only we have counter attacking opportunity, we actually attack city. Yes we do proper build up and attack city. In 2nd half it was our game to the point that Sarri dare to bring Cho and Higuain. 

In Etihad we conceded 2 idiotic goals and one wonder goal in like 10 minutes. The game was done and dusted. 

Just now, communicate said:

Nope, that was not a Conte or Mou, sit deep for the whole 90 minutes and pray we score from counter or set pieces. That was completely different. Instead of high press we use medium block press. We press them with kante and Barkley. We basically shut their passing lane. Plus not only we have counter attacking opportunity, we actually attack city. Yes we do proper build up and attack city. In 2nd half it was our game to the point that Sarri dare to bring Cho and Higuain. 

In Etihad we conceded 2 idiotic goals and one wonder goal in like 10 minutes. The game was done and dusted. 

Okay, it might not have entirely been Conte's or Mourinho's blueprint but large part of the performance was. We started off sitting back and then gradually worked our way up in the second half. You could say it was a hybrid of both styles but it wasn't anything pure Sarriball. And despite the good performance, think we only had like 1 shot on target in the entire game, which is poor from our part. 

Ignore the goals we conceded at the Etihad, it's the way we approached that game. There was so much space and gaps for City to exploit in that game, even after going 2-0 down in first 10-15 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Okay, it might not have entirely been Conte's or Mourinho's blueprint but large part of the performance was. We started off sitting back and then gradually worked our way up in the second half. You could say it was a hybrid of both styles but it wasn't anything pure Sarriball. And despite the good performance, think we only had like 1 shot on target in the entire game, which is poor from our part. 

Ignore the goals we conceded at the Etihad, it's the way we approached that game. There was so much space and gaps for City to exploit in that game, even after going 2-0 down in first 10-15 minutes. 

It wasn't. We didn't sit deep in our own waiting for them. Did you watch united vs Liverpool last night? We played kinda like Liverpool and mou/Conte strategy kinda like united. Did you watch how kante press Barkley drop preventing the pass to space. Then when Barkley press, kante did the same thing. We didn't just sit them off. Of course, there will be a time where we have to defend deep, we are playing city after all. 

I assume you are referring to his napoli team. His napoli team pressing is light years ahead of ours. Teaching some of this players who is suck at pressing will take a while. 

Offensively of course it is going to be a struggle. I don't think ederson made any save the whole game but we had our chances with Kante and Barkley chances. I also don't remember Kepa made any significant save. The expected goals for both team was like  1.0 vs 1.2 

18 minutes ago, communicate said:

It wasn't. We didn't sit deep in our own waiting for them. Did you watch united vs Liverpool last night? We played kinda like Liverpool and mou/Conte strategy kinda like united. Did you watch how kante press Barkley drop preventing the pass to space. Then when Barkley press, kante did the same thing. We didn't just sit them off. Of course, there will be a time where we have to defend deep, we are playing city after all. 

I assume you are referring to his napoli team. His napoli team pressing is light years ahead of ours. Teaching some of this players who is suck at pressing will take a while. 

Offensively of course it is going to be a struggle. I don't think ederson made any save the whole game but we had our chances with Kante and Barkley chances. I also don't remember Kepa made any significant save. The expected goals for both team was like  1.0 vs 1.2 

Ederson made one save, right at the end of the 90 from the Willian FK, where I don't know if he wanted to cross but it turned out to be a direct shot. That was about it.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Media will play it up but as long as there is no tension in the squad it will be fine. Thankfully, the reaction did not blow this thing even more out of proportion

7 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Referee did come to ask Sarri do you want sub or not?  He said no. He was so close to winning his first trophy but was maybe afraid and showed weak mentality towards Kepa situation. 

Penalties are lottery. Let's not act like Caballero would have won the cup for us

40 minutes ago, communicate said:

Pedro too. Clean through and should have smashed it past Ederson. Rudiger almost had a tap in too from a Hazard cross. Definitely a refreshing performance after recent weeks but maybe because the team was so scared early on, did not do enough to get over the line. Were always wary of being exposed on the counter

If sarry has some dignity he would resign and leave that pathetic circus 

I bet he has never seen something like that in 30 years of career, also in league 2 

I think that things became so clear yesterday: players' power in this club has no limits