Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

Post-Match Press Conference: Chelsea 5-0 Huddersfield

Sarri: “I think we started very well. In the first 25, 30 mins I saw my football. We moved the ball very fast with good movements off the ball. I’m happy because we played for 90 mins & defended for 90 mins, but we need consistency now”

Sarri on big February: “It will be very difficult - also for our opponents, I think. We have to be happy for our season - we are in February & involved in four different competitions”

Sarri on keeping it going: "In the Cup we played Liverpool, Spurs & City. It is like the Champions League, I think. Here in England, everything is very difficult. The league is competitive. We need consistency in the performances, results will be difficult but in perfromances"

Sarri on Higuain: “When he arrived he wasn’t top physical condition. Now he’s improving & I’m very happy because aside from his goals, I think he’s really suitable to play with Eden”

Sarri on motivation: “We need to understand that in the future we will not have to lose a game to get motivation. We have to improve consistency, mentality”

Sarri asked if he’s confident Bournemouth won’t be repeated: “I’m not sure but I hope so.”

Sarri on emotions of last few days: “I was completely focused on the team in the last three, four days. I wanted to understand. Today the answer is really very good but we have to be careful because we need the same mentality in every match”

Sarri on Chelsea’s potential: “I think we have good potential. We need to arrive to play 70, 75 mins like the first 25 in this match. We need to play the same football with continuity”

5 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Sarri on Chelsea’s potential: “I think we have good potential. We need to arrive to play 70, 75 mins like the first 25 in this match. We need to play the same football with continuity”

This. Just watch how relentless our pressing and how we keep moving. It was kinda watching pool play, we look like scoring whenever we go forward. 

@Sideshow Luiz  sent me this earlier and I thought it needed to be read.

Chelsea need to adapt to Maurizio Sarri, not other way round

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/chelsea-need-to-adapt-to-maurizio-sarri-not-other-way-round-ldwhwz00s

SARRI.thumb.jpg.3ecf8102fefa880c30483cad370e7756.jpg

Prediction:

Chelsea hires Pochettino on a long-term deal.

Pochettino to make Alonso his "go to" guy.. pretty much like Conte and Sarri.

A few TC members commit hara-kiri immediately after pochetino's first PL game.

2 hours ago, Unionjack said:

@Sideshow Luiz  sent me this earlier and I thought it needed to be read.

Chelsea need to adapt to Maurizio Sarri, not other way round

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/chelsea-need-to-adapt-to-maurizio-sarri-not-other-way-round-ldwhwz00s

SARRI.thumb.jpg.3ecf8102fefa880c30483cad370e7756.jpg

Think that piece is slightly missing the point. Asking Plan B from Sarri doesn't mean we want him to ditch his style and start playing Route 1 football. It's more gotta do with his tactical alterations, his ability to read the game and make changes. How many times have we sat here over the last 2-3 months and highlighted the fact opponents have sussed us out - 'stop Jorginho, stop Chelsea' for example - but Sarri has done nothing whatsoever to counter the opponents' tactics? Look at Guardiola, he plays his football every game but he also makes little tactical tweaks here and there with the opposition in mind. With Sarri, if anything goes wrong, blame it on the players' mentality, motivation. Sarri may have a point with that but it's become a cheap cop-out for him and his stubborn tactics because of what's happened in the past.

4 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Yeah OK agree but its not like he NEVER does makes changes

I know I keep harping on about it but only because it blew me away being the 1st game I'd seen for a few months. The Shitty league cup game at home.

The 1st half was poor and Shitty dominated u. They were pressing us high us and not giving us any room. Apart frpm Kovacic and kante getting up with Eden now n then.But when we did that it let Shitty move faster and it left poor old Jorgi on his todd sometime when that happened. Getting tackled and losing the ball.. But our defense wasn't bad and they held on. And then the goal from the Wee Baldy man scoring on the half tiime whistle. Which was actually a really good goal started from the back.

But we came out in the 2nd half a totally tight formation wings spread wide And if you watch it Kante was right out on the right touchline.. Dave was making a lot of plays shooting is down that right side and either Kante or Pedro got it. They just cut inside and they were behind shittys back line

We took control of that middle 1/3 of the pitch. Kante was anle to go back and help Jorgi if they managed to get a ball thru or over us. Kepa was right up and able to get them balls early.

It was a totally different set up/. And was the 1st points shitty lost.

So he can/does make changes. If the players decide to listen or they think they know better.

I did credit Sarri for that game but ironically, it was more of the counter-attack football that we saw under Conte/Mourinho than Sarri's own football and it was one game, ONE game. What about the other games when the opponents countered our system, our tactics and Sarri did nothing to change things? Even AVB had his moments back in the 2011/12 season.

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

I did credit Sarri for that game but ironically, it was more of the counter-attack football that we saw under Conte/Mourinho than Sarri's own football and it was one game, ONE game. What about the other games when the opponents countered our system, our tactics and Sarri did nothing to change things? Even AVB had his moments back in the 2011/12 season.

Because he doesn't see a need to change. The problem is not tactics. Just watch last game and watch the intensity of our pressing and the amount of off the ball running our player does. When jorginho is marked, Barkley went back to receive the ball and jorginho made run into space that is left by Barkley. That is what you need. The problem is when we concede all of this goes away, we are back to our old habit. 

30 minutes ago, communicate said:

Because he doesn't see a need to change. The problem is not tactics. Just watch last game and watch the intensity of our pressing and the amount of off the ball running our player does. When jorginho is marked, Barkley went back to receive the ball and jorginho made run into space that is left by Barkley. That is what you need. The problem is when we concede all of this goes away, we are back to our old habit. 

Forgive me for remaining unconvinced. Do it against less accommodating opponents than Huddersfield and consistently and then we'll see. Besides, Huddersfield tried to press us and because they weren't very good at it, they left space for us to exploit. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Forgive me for remaining unconvinced. Do it against less accommodating opponents than Huddersfield and consistently and then we'll see. Besides, Huddersfield tried to press us and because they weren't very good at it, they left space for us to exploit. 

Jason, Sarri has used this system for years and I am pretty sure Jorginho was marked all the time in serie A. Jorginho as holder has never been the problem. You can say that epl is faster and more physical but  I am pretty sure jorginho is not known to be fast nor physical player in serie a standard. 

Having said that, I agree with you, let's see whether we can play the same way against better team. I wish we don't play against city straight away. Because against city even if we play well we can still lose. 

My only hope is that if we get scored on counter we don't always blame jorgi and Alonso. 

Just realized this - after winning our first 5 league games of the season, we have won only 10 of the subsequent 20 games and 8 of those wins have come against the bottom 8 sides - meaning only 2 top 10 wins in 20 games! 

In the overall picture, we have 15 league wins this season and only 4 of those have come against a top 10 side.

:doh: 

Maurizio Sarri names the player who will finally replace Cesc Fabregas at Chelsea

Chelsea news includes an analysis of the midfield options available to the Blues from the boss himself

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/transfer-news/maurizio-sarri-names-player-who-15775720

Chelsea head coach Maurizio Sarri has revealed the options available to him when it comes to adding depth in Jorginho's position.

Speaking after his side's 5-0 win over Huddersfield Town, the Italian considered the merits of Ethan Ampadu and Mateo Kovacic as options to take on the responsibilities of Cesc Fabregas following the Spaniard's move to Monaco in the January transfer window.

His departure has left the former Napoli boss with a dilemma. The 60-year-old had called on the Blues to go into the market to sign a replacement to the playmaker only for Leandro Paredes to join Paris Saint-Germain.

Nicolo Barella ended up staying at Cagliari and was even linked with a shock switch to Manchester United.

snip

CIES Football Observatory

n°249 - 04/02/2019

Demography

Stakhanovite big-5 league players

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2018/249/en/

Who are the footballers having played the most minutes in the big-5 leagues during the last five years? This is the question answered in issue number 249 of the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post. Samir Handanović (Inter) tops the table for goalkeepers, while César Azpilicueta (Chelsea) heads the rankings for outfield players.

Only ten goalkeepers in the top 25 list have been in the same club during the last five years. This is the same proportion as that observed among outfield footballers. Conversely, Joe Hart played for four different big-5 league teams over this period: Manchester City, Torino, West Ham and Burnley. Only five forwards are in the top 25 list: Lionel Messi, José Callejón, Romelu Lukaku, Luis Suárez and Antoine Griezmann.

The most fielded players at German Bundesliga level, where there are fewer matches as only 18 teams are competing, are Daniel Baier (13,477 minutes for Augsburg) and Oliver Baumann (15,210 minutes for Freiburg and Hoffenheim).

wp249360x240.jpg?crc=119163349

Highest number of minutes played during five last years

Big-5 league matches, 01/01/2014 - 28/01/2019

wp249b_en.svg?crc=220159493main-qimg-494af378e8ef5e8a8cd0b5434fcd2603.webp

17 minutes ago, mccg said:

!