Chelsea vs Bordeaux

BlueLion.

Chelsea F.C. versus Girondins de Bordeaux
UEFA Champions League, Group Stage, Matchday 1, Tuesday 16th September, 19:45 KO, Stamford Bridge

cech2uq8.jpg

Chelsea host Bordeaux in their first match of the 2008/09 Champions League campaign.

The Blues made it to the final in Moscow last season, beating the likes of Greek giants Olympiakos, Turkish champions Fenerbahce and English juggernauts Liverpool to contest the trophy with Manchester United. However, the campaign ended ultimately in disappointment, but with the Chelsea players determined to go on and win the competition in the future.

"Our team has stayed together and still has a high quality so I believe it was not my last final. I know the chance can come," said Petr Cech, and his comments have been echoed by many in the Chelsea squad who believe that last season's exploits are but a taste of what the Blues can offer on the European stage.

The group stage draw for this season's competition has thrown up several interesting ties, including Italian side AS Roma who were last season drawn in the same group as Manchester United, and Romanian side Cluj, who make their first appearance in the competition.

However the Blues' first contenders for top spot in the potentially tricky group are Les Bleus - les Girondins de Bordeaux. Bordeaux - much like Chelsea - pushed eventual Ligue Un winners Lyon to the final weekend of the season, though their excellent pursuit of Les Lyonnais ended ultimately in defeat.

Chelsea will hope last season's experience of reaching a first Champions League final, and hope the presence of two-time European champion Deco - with both Porto and Barcelona - will act as a catalyst to fire the Blues to European glory.

Yet their opponents are not without quality and experience of their own, with talented individuals such as Marouane Chamakh and Mathieu Chalmé, and veterans Ulrich Ramé and Souleymane Diawara, Bordeaux will be no pushovers.

Will Chelsea overcome the French side, or can Bordeaux give the hosts Les Bleus?

Match chat here.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lampards Bitch

1-1. simply because I know this bloke who is going and Chelsea never ever ever win when he goes. They mainly draw or occasionally lose lol crazy i know but if you knew him you would understand.

Same, going with me dad and me best mate :) And my cousin's other half will be there too, so we'll be meeting up afterwards :) MHU for me... good prices for the tickets as well.

I hope henri saviet play's they say he is one of the best youngsters in europe.

Guest Lampards Bitch
I will be there :) sitting west stand row 28 seats 80 and 81, good view?

i think we will win 3.0 Ballack, Lamps and Deco :)

Good view yes, worst place to sit for atmosphere! Dont expect people to get up and sing in the West Stand LOL

BBC has forgotten about it too... on their pre-match preview page they say Drogba will be back even though they mention the red card he got. Does that mean he is available regardless or have they got that wrong?