test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

Final - Knockout Stage Thread

Started by Jason,

394 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Tunisia I think are ranked top 20 in the world or just short off, gave Spain and Portugal tough examinations in the run up to Russia and every man and his dog were fearing they would frustrate us but despite needing a last minute winner ultimately we were by far the better side. Yes Panama ill grant you are a bit sh*t but they held Belgium for a half and in the same period England went 5 up, being 5 up at half time is excellent regardless of the opposition.

Columbia lit up the last world cup and granted James was not playing but they still had a bloody good side who you could argue are the best of the rest outside of the top nations. As for Sweden, very much workman like but England's record against them is about as good as Tottenham's record against us and that could have turned into a problem mentally if we weren't careful.

I'm far from the most passionate when it comes to the National side (club over country all day) but it cannot in any way possible be argued that we have made no progress this world cup (especially mentality wise)  or that this was a good tournament. Next time we will hopefully have Mount, Sancho, Sessengon etc al alongside the likes of Alli, Kane, Stones, Pickford in their primes.

For me like same as what Jason said, one thing that this England team need to improve is when the tide is moving against you. Can you cope with it and find a way to turn back the tide. 

And no it is not experience, it is the same thing in last euro. Contrary to what people said, I thought England did well last euro then Iceland scored and everything went to hell. The same thing in this wc against both Colombia and Croatia. The moment the tide went against them, everything fell apart

Tomo and Johnnyeye like this

For me, there was no game plan after the initial 11. No players that could spark anything from the bench, no integral changing of tactics, nothing. That was evident with the changes, and with that squad. Kane was the star man - the vocal piece as it were - with no-one else in attack to step up once he was marked out. Get a gameplan, get some experience, and maybe we can push on.

Johnnyeye and manpe like this

Croatia with their fighting spirit. Goal down and still playing like the score was still level. Hopefully Chelsea could copycat that kind of mentality next season under Sarri. They deserved it to go through to the WC final. Congrats. As I predicted Belgium will get the third place, for the final, think France will win it this time.

Johnnyeye, manpe and bluephoenix like this

Congrats to Croatia for reaching their 1st final, very much deserved. It will be very interesting how this final pans out, France will be very eager to put the demons from Euro 2016 behind them, not that i complain of course ;) , but this might just be the catalyst for them to win this World Cup, they responded brilliantly to that euro setback and now have a big chance to redeem themselves, altough Croatia have a big say in this final outcome and will be up for it for sure eager to defy the odds. May the best team win, goodluck to both. Cheers

ps: Modric is player of the tournament for me, he deserves it.

England are jinxed - 50 years now.
I believe they came pretty close six times: 1970-1982-1990-1996-2002 and 2018.
It's 25 wcs plus euros since 1966 so it's 6 good efforts out of 25.
I think it's bad luck if you don't win a trophy at least once in six good efforts.
On the other occasions they were a mediocre side and even miserable sometimes.
The 1986 team with the hand of god was one of the mediocre teams  (compared to the likes of Argentine-Germany-France-USSR ... back then).
Today's England is in need of a good playmaker like Becks and a sharp forward like Kevin Keegan was.
They were not very good in Russia but their initial luck in the draws brought them close.

In the final now it's pretty balanced imho.
France is the favourite but Croatia can play football and they are not fall guys.

Johnnyeye likes this

I predict 3-1 to France..it being close at 2-1 in the final minutes with France catching them on the counter attack as Croatia push for an equalizer. pace bothers Croatia back line..saw Sterling cause them problems but Mbappe got the end product to go with that pace and of course quite a few other speed merchants. Croatia have plenty of guile to put up a good fight tho.

Johnnyeye likes this

I dont know why theres a playoff foe 3rd and 4th place. Who really gives a fuck? All it does is add time on to when they will rejoin their clubs. They will be having a long holiday after too which means they will miss pre season and maybe a couple of league games.

Unless like Schurrle they want to come back so much they dont have a break and came straight here.

Iggy Doonican likes this

2 hours ago, Unionjack said:

I dont know why theres a playoff foe 3rd and 4th place. Who really gives a fuck? All it does is add time on to when they will rejoin their clubs. They will be having a long holiday after too which means they will miss pre season and maybe a couple of league games.

Unless like Schurrle they want to come back so much they dont have a break and came straight here.

Agreed that Soccer Aid game had more edge to it than this will. In 1990 I was quite excited because Tony Dorigo was the first Chelsea player to play for England in a World Cup since 1970. Poor old Peter Bonetti people still talk about that game nearly 50 years later it was Ramsey's fault for taking off Bobby Charlton.

Unionjack likes this

What's with Hazard face. Should be more happier because he got new manager and new teammate :Goober:

Dude very disappointed not going to final. Maybe next WC.

Congrats to Belgium for the win and for finishing in 3rd place in the WC, deserved winners today and great WC. Cheers

Hamilton likes this

Congratulations to Belgium on their highest ever achievement in international football : 3rd spot :drunk:
Careful of the height you might get dizzy.

Didn't Turkey get 3rd spot in 2002?  :lol:

Fuck with Hazard and Tibo rumours, let's enjoy this WC final. My prediction will be 3-1 for France.

Good final so far. 

France played as usual, not impressive, boring but winning. You can even say lucky. 

Croatia played quite well imo, a much more fun team to watch