test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

Final - Knockout Stage Thread

Started by Jason,

394 posts in this topic

Yes there is a lot unnecessary hype around the England team and they didn't face strong oppositions ... but it's also down to the luck of the draw. Something not in their hands & the media just going ga-ga over it. 

Anyways for me, what mattered was on "the biggest night" the English players didnt step up while the Croatians did!!! ... After the goal, England couldnt hold on & went in disarray while Croatia kept going & building their confidence in the game. At the end of the 90, guess everyone knew who was going into the finals. Congrats Croatia!!! 

Johnnyeye and 11Drogba like this

Best team definitely won. I thought Modric had an amazing game specially in the 2nd half.. He never stopped running.

Some of the England team played bad.Specially Young and Kane and none of the subs helped at all.

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

Best team definitely won. I thought Modric had an amazing game specially in the 2nd half.. He never stopped running.

Some of the England team played bad.Specially Young and Kane and none of the subs helped at all.

Modric on a different level, and they bossed the midfield 2nd half

I don't think we would have beaten France, and wont win a trophy with Young, Henderson and Sterling imo

Johnnyeye and Unionjack like this

Kinda hard to evaluate England's progress in this World Cup. On one hand, they managed their best ever finish since 1990 by reaching the semi finals - putting the easy draw factor aside - and they have played some decent stuff, which they can build on moving forward. On the other hand, they won games against teams you would expect them to beat (Tunisia, Panama and Sweden) but came unstuck against half decent/quality teams in Belgium, Colombia (okay, they got past them but needed a shootout to beat a Colombia side without James Rodriguez) and Croatia. Southgate has shown good man management on and off the pitch but showed he's kinda out of his depth tactically - take the knockout stage for example, England started well against Colombia and Croatia and dominated both but the minute the tide started to go against them, Southgate had no clue what to do to wrestle back control of the game. I remember seeing fans criticize him during the Colombia game for not making positive changes but because England got through on penalties, fans suddenly started worshiping him and showered him with praise etc. The same thing happened against Croatia - the changes he made were or less like for like, they did nothing to change the flow of the game whatsoever. Given the kind draw England have had, they really blew the opportunity to get to the final at the very least. Maybe they will learn from this and get better or maybe they won't like the previous teams but hard to imagine the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy flopping so badly again to ever give them such an easy chance again.

manpe, Johnnyeye, Unionjack and 1 other like this

I think that Ballon D'or must go to Luka Modrić, regardless of finals' outcome. UCL gold and WC final, being MAIN man on both occasions, who can match that?

Somebody else wining it would be complete robbery.

Johnnyeye and communicate like this

We lost all composure in the second half just resorting to Pickford kicking it long. Not going to go into to much analysis that's not really my thing but I enjoyed it and for me the best World Cups are the European ones same time zones so everyone gets into it and the pubs are packed. Watching games at seven in the morning like 2002 is awful and the next one is going to be a shambles. Best laugh of the WC some old boy in my local pointed to his dick and shouted '' This is brilliant my first semi in 28 years '' ha ha.

Johnnyeye likes this

2 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

We lost all composure in the second half just resorting to Pickford kicking it long. Not going to go into to much analysis that's not really my thing but I enjoyed it and for me the best World Cups are the European ones same time zones so everyone gets into it and the pubs are packed. Watching games at seven in the morning like 2002 is awful and the next one is going to be a shambles. Best laugh of the WC some old boy in my local pointed to his dick and shouted '' This is brilliant my first semi in 28 years '' ha ha.

I'm sure you watched it among like minded peeps who aren't shy at showing their emotions.

The pub I was in went absolutely doolally when we scored. Everyone was saturated. Then there was a queue at the bar. Good job we are mates with the manager who is a Blue and often hires coaches for us all to travel away. Just gotta get his eye and the beers are at the table.

Didn't do much celebrating after the goal tho. Specially 2nd half. Bit of a dodgy gut this morning I must say.

Fulham Broadway likes this

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

I went to Qatar a couple of years ago and in the winter they are only 3 hours ahead of us, and i can't imagine games starting too early because of the heat (even in Winter it's ridiculously hot until early evening) so i can't imagine the time schedules for matches being much different to Russia.

If i had to Hazard a guess i reckon the games will start at 2, 5 and 8 out there (with the 2 o clock KO ditched after the first 2 group games) which will be 11, 2 and 5 back here which isn't too bad.

Tunisia I think are ranked top 20 in the world or just short off, gave Spain and Portugal tough examinations in the run up to Russia and every man and his dog were fearing they would frustrate us but despite needing a last minute winner ultimately we were by far the better side. Yes Panama ill grant you are a bit sh*t but they held Belgium for a half and in the same period England went 5 up, being 5 up at half time is excellent regardless of the opposition.

Columbia lit up the last world cup and granted James was not playing but they still had a bloody good side who you could argue are the best of the rest outside of the top nations. As for Sweden, very much workman like but England's record against them is about as good as Tottenham's record against us and that could have turned into a problem mentally if we weren't careful.

I'm far from the most passionate when it comes to the National side (club over country all day) but it cannot in any way possible be argued that we have made no progress this world cup (especially mentality wise)  or that this was a good tournament. Next time we will hopefully have Mount, Sancho, Sessengon etc al alongside the likes of Alli, Kane, Stones, Pickford in their primes.

Johnnyeye and Fulham Broadway like this

7 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

I think what really let us down was the high number of Sp*ds in the team

I agree. They don't have a winning mentality. They froze yesterday.

Harry Kane choked, Lingard useless as always. The only players who impressed me were Maguire and Pickford. Tbh England reminded me of Chelsea with that formation and average performances. Hoping now that Croatia clinches the whole thing, but France is something completely else than what they have encountered this far. Also hoping Belgium goes home with a medal.

Johnnyeye likes this

You should not feel bad, Englishs. Our team is in peak of their power, and they are playing together for 10 years now. I know you feel bad because road to final seemed easy, and you don't get chance like that often, but your team is nowhere near ready for the final. But it can be, someday. :)

Johnnyeye likes this

17 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Harry Kane after the semifinal - 'It hurts, it hurts a lot.'

I thought he would be already used to losing in the important part of a tournament or in important games. Tottenham has already given him many opportunities to taste that.

17 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

If there's one good thing that comes out of this, is that we can go into next season safe in the knowledge the'd win fuck all no matter how well they do.

6 minutes ago, manpe said:

Harry Kane choked, Lingard useless as always. The only players who impressed me were Maguire and Pickford. Tbh England reminded me of Chelsea with that formation and average performances. Hoping now that Croatia clinches the whole thing, but France is something completely else than what they have encountered this far. Also hoping Belgium goes home with a medal.

The thing with Lingard, Alli and Sterling is they bring a lot of things to the table tactically that RLC and Rashford simply don't, which is why those three were never dropped despite being far from their best. Rashford's performance last night after coming on and vs Belgium clearly demonstrated that, the guy is the striker version of SWP. It's also why we never dropped Costa even when he was barely kicking a ball straight, because even then he was a better option than Remy/Bats.

communicate and Johnnyeye like this

4 hours ago, El P. said:

I think that Ballon D'or must go to Luka Modrić, regardless of finals' outcome. UCL gold and WC final, being MAIN man on both occasions, who can match that?

Somebody else wining it would be complete robbery.

I agree. He is the most important player for Madrid for quite some time now. Ronaldo may get all the headline but Modric is imo their most important player 

El P. and Johnnyeye like this

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

The thing with Lingard, Alli and Sterling is they bring a lot of things to the table tactically that RLC and Rashford simply don't, which is why those three were never dropped despite being far from their best. Rashford's performance last night after coming on and vs Belgium clearly demonstrated that, the guy is the striker version of SWP. It's also why we never dropped Costa even when he was barely kicking a ball straight, because even then he was a better option than Remy/Bats.

I saw Arsene Wenger analysis of England front line. I thought it was quite spot on. He said although his finishing is quite bad sterling is a better partner for Kane because he provide quick burst of run whereas Rashford is more of a physical player which is similar to Kane. 

Tomo and Johnnyeye like this