Chelsea 1-0 West Ham

BlueLion.

Chelsea FC versus West Ham UnitedIn-form Chelsea welcome fellow high-flyers West Ham United to Stamford Bridge, in this weekend's early kick-off.

_41541156_crespo416.jpgHernan Crespo celebrates scoring the second Chelsea goal in their 4-1 win over West Ham in April 2006Following West Ham's hard-earned draw with Tottenham, the Hammers are in formidable form, having won and drawn three each of their last half-dozen matches. Chelsea themselves are slightly better off in the same period, with four wins and a couple of draws.Whilst West Ham have struggled for league consistency, a 5-0 thrashing of Derby County prior to the international break and progress to the last eight of the Carling Cup has earned many accolades for Alan Curbishley's side, who were dealt a double by Chelsea last season. The then-Champions defeated West Ham 1-0 at Stamford Bridge courtesy of a Geremi free-kick, and thrashed the Hammers in their own back yard 1-4, with Shaun Wright-Phillips, Salomon Kalou and Didier Drogba scoring the goals. You can read the match report to arguably Chelsea's finest performance of the 06/07 campaign by clicking this link.With the three afore-mentioned players in hot form - Kalou and Wright-Phillips scoring in Chelsea's last Premier League match - West Ham are likely to feature a defence-minded formation at Stamford Bridge. Both teams have been watertight in defence, having conceded just 9 (Chelsea) and 11 (West Ham) in their league matches this season. Yet both teams have found goals hard to come by, with 40 goals scored between the two teams in a 21:19 ratio in favour of Chelsea.Will Frank Lampard see off his former team? Will West Ham's Robert Green spoil the party by continuing his astonishing form in goal? Or will Salomon Kalou and company ensure that the Hammers return to Upton Park hammered? Discuss here!Watch Geremi's stunning freekick settle last season's corresponing fixture

Edited by BlueLion

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy with a 2-0 win, and I think that seems most likely. We have a lot of things going for us at the moment, and if we get a win in Rosenborg our confidence will be sky high. We're at Stamford Bridge, with the possibility of going 70 league matches unbeaten there, and 49 matches in all competitions at home without defeat. And we have a very good recent record against them, with five wins in five matches over the last three seasons. I fully expect a win, and I'm sure we'll get one. However, the Hammers might think Christmas has come early if they go home with just a 1-0 loss, and I fully expect them to come and defend, and try and hit us on the counter. They do have one advantage, however. We'll be playing on Wednesday night, and won't get back to England until Thursday morning, meaning we only have Thursday afternoon and Friday to train for this match. Hopefully, Grant will rotate the squad and field a weaker team in Norway, ie. play Sidwell to give Mikel a rest.

I would love to stuff the cockney f**kers and i hope we do, they are pretty vulnerable and we need to keep the pressure on them to stop them breaking on us. The games against them are usually either excellant value (i.e we stuff them) or they are cagey affairs...

It should be a good game though, missing Essien from this game is a blow, but it will give Sidwell a chance to show us what he can do as Maka will be rested now for the Arsenal game i would have thought.
I dont think sidwell will play, i think we will play 4-4-2 obi and lampard with joe cole and swp out wide salou to partner drogbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.