Daniele Rugani

Unionjack

37 minutes ago, communicate said:

As much as I agree that Cahill and zouma will struggle, we are no longer the old chelsea where we can keep spending big money on multiple position. Imo we need major upgrade in midfield and maybe a right winger. If we spend too much on cb, we will just sign average player as midfield, which we don't need. 

People will say we can play Barkley, rlc with kante as holder. That looks like a good midfield but none of them are terrific passer. As much as I like kante, his passing is average for a midfield. Last year, whenever Fabregas struggle or don't play, we really lack somebody to deliver quick pass to hazard, hence hazard need to pick up the ball deeper which reduce his effectiveness

CB build up is the most important part of Sarri's tactics, Cahill and especially Zouma playing significant minutes will kill us. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

CB build up is the most important part of Sarri's tactics, Cahill and especially Zouma playing significant minutes will kill us. 

I only watched napoli once against city and it wasn't the full game. Hopefully you are right that having good passers in cb is enough because last season my biggest problem especially when we play with 352,is the lack of passing from deep. Kante was free most of the time but his passing was too conservative and I think napoli played jorginho which I heard to be pretty good passers as their dm

4 minutes ago, communicate said:

I only watched napoli once against city and it wasn't the full game. Hopefully you are right that having good passers in cb is enough because last season my biggest problem especially when we play with 352,is the lack of passing from deep. Kante was free most of the time but his passing was too conservative and I think napoli played jorginho which I heard to be pretty good passers as their dm

A good passer as our DM is needed but without 2 ball playing cb's  it would be pointless. Teams would just mark the playmaker and we'd be screwed. 

If you've got 2 ball playing cb's and a playmaker manmarking doesn't work.

10 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

A good passer as our DM is needed but without 2 ball playing cb's  it would be pointless. Teams would just mark the playmaker and we'd be screwed. 

If we were still the old Chelsea, where we can spend and spend. I absolutely agree that let's sign a quality cb and a dm. But in reality if we try to get both, we will just sign two average players. I rather sign a really good dm and have cahill, zouma or Luiz as  backup rather than having rugani and an average dm. 

13 minutes ago, Rapkun said:

All I know about the player is mostly from reputation but it's probably fair to say this is the main reason Sarri wants him

I've realized I had started to go down the worse possible path. I had found myself into thinking like a Manure 'supporter' Some footballing snobby twat that thinks unless a player is a household name and costs close to £100mill then he wasn't worth looking at.

But its ALL about putting together players that combine to make a single working unit. And thats what fucks Manure up.

All of our best buys have been under £35mill while not being pocket change it certainly is nothing compared to whats being asked for many options.

Before we was linked with Rugani and Golovin I wouldn't have even pondered buying them but the more Ive read and watched them the happier I get about us hopefully buying them.

Just wondering if we switch to 4atb and Sarri loving ball playing CBs, he will surely play Christensen, right?

That means we will play Christensen-Rugani and I have little confidence we can put in a strong defence with such young CBs and no vocal leader around. Azpi is good defender, but he is hardly leader like Terry. And he wont be around CBs all the time on that right side to instruct and lead.

On 6/29/2018 at 3:16 PM, Belgiannutt said:

I hope for the sake of this club identity, we dont play two CBs just because they are good on the ball. Otamendi is pure shit of a defender for example. Pique, Ramos, Stones, Silva nothing special when it comes to pure defending. 

Terry and Puyol were good ball playing CBs, but their reputation was based on world class defending. 

If we can get classy CBs who can pass the ball and at same time superb defenders, Im all for it.

But if we target CBs like Bonucci, every quality striker will punish us. Like Pool ripped City defence apart. 

Honestly I rather see boring Chelsea than bunch of pussy CBs like Otamendi, Bonucci,...man f*ck your ball playig skills if you are garbage defender and fail everytime things get heated. 

Pique, Bonucci all got carried by Puyol, Barzagli, Chielini, Busquets,...they have elite passing and ball control skill, but as defenders they are nothing special at all. Some "random" CBs like Naldo, Miranda are miles more reliable.

I hope we dont follow that path, but it seems we are. If thats the case, we can safely assume that our european chances will depend on how good our attack will be, because I guarantee these ball playing CBs will be on fail videos everytime against quality opponents.

Take a look at Luiz, he was here for his character and ball playing skills. He wouldnt be near first 11 if it was for his defending.

Give me Miranda, Godin, Chielini over these fancy CBs anyday of the week.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

I hope for the sake of this club identity, we dont play two CBs just because they are good on the ball. Otamendi is pure shit of a defender for example. Pique, Ramos, Stones, Silva nothing special when it comes to pure defending. 

Terry and Puyol were good ball playing CBs, but their reputation was based on world class defending. 

If we can get classy CBs who can pass the ball and at same time superb defenders, Im all for it.

But if we target CBs like Bonucci, every quality striker will punish us. Like Pool ripped City defence apart. 

Honestly I rather see boring Chelsea than bunch of pussy CBs like Otamendi, Bonucci,...man f*ck your ball playig skills if you are garbage defender and fail everytime things get heated. 

Pique, Bonucci all got carried by Puyol, Barzagli, Chielini, Busquets,...they have elite passing and ball control skill, but as defenders they are nothing special at all. Some "random" CBs like Naldo, Miranda are miles more reliable.

I hope we dont follow that path, but it seems we are. If thats the case, we can safely assume that our european chances will depend on how good our attack will be, because I guarantee these ball playing CBs will be on fail videos everytime against quality opponents.

Take a look at Luiz, he was here for his character and ball playing skills. He wouldnt be near first 11 if it was for his defending.

Give me Miranda, Godin, Chielini over these fancy CBs anyday of the week.

Ofcourse they need to be good defenders but you are really underestimating how crucial ball playing defenders are in the modern game. If you don't have them you get left behind no matter how good defensively your defenders are.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Ofcourse they need to be good defenders but you are really underestimating how crucial ball playing defenders are in the modern game. If you don't have them you get left behind no matter how good defensively your defenders are.

It can be said vice versa. No matter how good your CBs are at ball playing, if they are bad defenders, you wont get far in cups, unless your attack is sublime.

Dont get me wrong I would love ball playing CBs, but you have two types of them. One that is actualy good defender and the other one who is overhyped based on their passing and ball playing skills, but he gets exposed over and over and over. 

Terry and Riccy were formidable on the ball. But they were praised for their defensive skill. I loved having such CBs. I have nothing against ball playing CBs, but those who are qulaified as "great CBs" because they can pass, however they defend average feel like frauds to me.

A very very simple example would be Bonucci or Chielini/Barzagli. 

Bonucci is fantastic ball playing CB, but he is absolutely average CB, who was saved time and time again by other two. 

Chielini/Barzagli are not on same level like Bonucci on the ball, but still very formidable and underrated. As for their defending, they are miles ahead of Bonucci in every aspect. 

The thig about modern CBs is that everyone hypes the shit out of ball playing CBs because they cant praise their defensive abilities. You still have many CBs who get the praise by their defending abilites, but it doesnt mean they are crap on the ball. 

And finaly, every ball playing CB has cover in more complete defender. Ramos had Pepe, Pique had Puyol, Bonucci had Chielini, Hummels had Boateng etc etc. While the former are superb ball playing CBs, the later are not shit on the ball at all. But miles better defenders. 

We already have Christensen as that out and out ball playing CB. His partner should be someone ala Chielini, Godin. No nonsense CB. 

We need CBs that qualify into elite (potentialy elite) level defending, but also have nice set of skill with the ball

Then there is the mentality. Terry was great ball playing CB (underrated), but he was also no nonsense CB. If you had to clear the ball, you cleared it, not dribble and try fancy stuff. He was also great defender and wasnt exposed like some ball playing frauds today. 

Maybe you got me wrong, I want us to have no nonsense ball playing Cbs and not these modern wanna be messi CBs. Its just almost impossible to find such CBs and thats whay I prefer someone like Godin over Otamendi. 

Dont tell me you would pick the later just because he can pass.

Umtiti is also good example of good defender, but doesnt lack in playing the ball from the back. 

Im not against ball playing CBs, but against those who are hyped as great CBs just because of their Ball playing skills (Bonucci, Otamendi,...) because the reason why they are hyped based on their ball playing skill is because they are crap defenders, and you cant praise them for that, not because they would be absolutely superb on the ball. They are mistake prone and thats last thing you need when forming a new identity. 

For Burnleys and Palaces, it works. But Pep was spanked time and time again in CL with their "modern CBs". 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

If true, I wonder which of our CB positions he competes for. 

Christensen and Rudiger are our only ball playing CBs. We need depth and this is probably the most important position alongsige DM in Sarri system. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You