Anthony Martial

Unionjack

2 hours ago, Special Juan said:

If this was us ready to flog Martial then we would sell him to them, but they won't sell to us IMO.

This. Mourinho in the past has had no problem selling players to rivals and has openly said as much. But out of spite I doubt he'd sell Martial to us. He'd never hear the end of it from fans or the media if Martial realizes his potential here.

That being said, I'd take him here in an instant. Under a manager who wants to play on the front foot and be aggressive (like, say, Sarri *wink wink*) he could be brilliant. Just not a Mourinho player at all. Mou wants a workhorse wide player like Willian.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Unionjack said:

What I'm worried about is whatever manager comes in will probably have no idea who to bring in from the academy side. And without Morriss to point it out and push them forward its going to be hard to bring them on.

I'm not so worried about that. I think the most important voice in the academy is Neil Bath who any new boss will definitely be talking to and, in any case, Jody would certainly take a call and share his opinions with Chelsea's manager.

10 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

And Calum, who I believe is a better player than the United man anyway, also plays in that slot. I’ve no interest in Chelsea signing Anthony Martial. 

I am a huge fan of Calum but you're exaggerating a bit too much by claiming he is better than Martial. Hudson-Odoi has not even started a full senior game yet. He has played glimpses for the first team in cup and league games and the others have been youth and U23 games. Martial is a very talented player who imo needs a new manager to thrive under as I still think he has so much potential to be a top, top player. Despite regressing over past couple seasons, Martial still got into double figures last season and I am sure under a more flair-minded manager, he would excel.

Now if your saying you have no interest in signing him because you want the club to develop Calum then I could understand but to state he is better than Martial is way OTT as there is not much base.

1 hour ago, Stats said:

I am a huge fan of Calum but you're exaggerating a bit too much by claiming he is better than Martial. Hudson-Odoi has not even started a full senior game yet. He has played glimpses for the first team in cup and league games and the others have been youth and U23 games. Martial is a very talented player who imo needs a new manager to thrive under as I still think he has so much potential to be a top, top player. Despite regressing over past couple seasons, Martial still got into double figures last season and I am sure under a more flair-minded manager, he would excel.

Now if your saying you have no interest in signing him because you want the club to develop Calum then I could understand but to state he is better than Martial is way OTT as there is not much base.

The basis of my opinion is that I have seen both players play. I stick to my assessment that I believe Callum to be the better player.

I first saw Martial play when he was linked to us before leaving France. I saw him play in both legs of a Champions League tie. He was outstanding in the first leg and poor in the second. Since arriving in England his efforts have not changed my mind about his having a hit and miss profile.

As good as Callum is when carrying the ball and when finishing it is his choice, range and weight of passing which does most to persuade me that he is the real deal. 

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

The basis of my opinion is that I have seen both players play. I stick to my assessment that I believe Callum to be the better player.

I first saw Martial play when he was linked to us before leaving France. I saw him play in both legs of a Champions League tie. He was outstanding in the first leg and poor in the second. Since arriving in England his efforts have not changed my mind about his having a hit and miss profile.

As good as Callum is when carrying the ball and when finishing it is his choice, range and weight of passing which does most to persuade me that he is the real deal. 

He does look the real deal however if you threw him in the first team against top opposition, it would be a lot more difficult for him. That is why I say I suggested your getting too ahead of yourself. If you put Martial in an U23 game he would destroy it completely.

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I am a massive fan of CHO, but i don't think he is physically or mentally ready for the 1st team. He is our brightest youth star by far, I think he will become a major player in the first team. But personally if you said pick one for the next 2 years in the PL it has to be Martial(in my opinion). I would love a 2 year loan of CHO to Germany like Christensen did. The boy is 17 turning 18 this year, just a bit too young. Immense talent though, if you said pick one for the next 10 im taking CHO

3 hours ago, Stats said:

He does look the real deal however if you threw him in the first team against top opposition, it would be a lot more difficult for him. That is why I say I suggested your getting too ahead of yourself. If you put Martial in an U23 game he would destroy it completely.

Top players ‘play down’ at development level from time to time. Within a statistical margin of error, they never ‘destroy it completely’. Eden Hazard didn’t, CHO hasn’t and Martial wouldn’t. That’s not the way to judge.

I had a discussion with someone about the younger Dembele at Celtic who I think is a terrific player. That person told me that you can’t judge players in youth football and gave the example of Izzy Feruz who, he said, had also looked great in Celtic’s age group sides. My reply was that Izzy may have scored a lot of goals for the Celts but there was no possibility on this Earth that he could ever have looked as good as junior Dembele. The latter has genius level ability, while I had dismissed Izzy’s Chelsea chances within 20 minutes of the first youth game I saw him play at Stamford Bridge.

I acknowledge that you disagree with me about the comparison between Martial and CHO but please don’t tell me that I don’t understand what does, and does not, need to be taken into account when assessing a player. Tell me you think I’m wrong by all means, but let’s avoid any appearance of patronising each other.

23 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Top players ‘play down’ at development level from time to time. Within a statistical margin of error, they never ‘destroy it completely’. Eden Hazard didn’t, CHO hasn’t and Martial wouldn’t. That’s not the way to judge.

I had a discussion with someone about the younger Dembele at Celtic who I think is a terrific player. That person told me that you can’t judge players in youth football and gave the example of Izzy Feruz who, he said, had also looked great in Celtic’s age group sides. My reply was that Izzy may have scored a lot of goals for the Celts but there was no possibility on this Earth that he could ever have looked as good as junior Dembele. The latter has genius level ability, while I had dismissed Izzy’s Chelsea chances within 20 minutes of the first youth game I saw him play at Stamford Bridge.

I acknowledge that you disagree with me about the comparison between Martial and CHO but please don’t tell me that I don’t understand what does, and does not, need to be taken into account when assessing a player. Tell me you think I’m wrong by all means, but let’s avoid any appearance of patronising each other.

Think you're talking about Islam Feruz.

We have Izzy Brown :)

3 hours ago, akgw13 said:

I am a massive fan of CHO, but i don't think he is physically or mentally ready for the 1st team. He is our brightest youth star by far, I think he will become a major player in the first team. But personally if you said pick one for the next 2 years in the PL it has to be Martial(in my opinion). I would love a 2 year loan of CHO to Germany like Christensen did. The boy is 17 turning 18 this year, just a bit too young. Immense talent though, if you said pick one for the next 10 im taking CHO

I think we are going to have to be careful how we handle our current youth bright stars, they are already getting allot of attention from  bigger clubs than us

I think with that sort of attention, blown up egos, our history in the loan market along with our failure to promote youth I think it will be more difficult to hold on to them now.

We either need to make a standard development route for cherry picking them including SOME time training fully with the 1st team with a keen prospect of 1st team time or a strong alliance with a GOOD European club that we can gve them 2 years of regular playing time. Cause right now our loan system is shite, But our academy is among the best and we still have the ability to attract good young lads. There must be some way we can utilize them.

Martial would be fantastic here. I'd play him up front or on the wing. Honestly good in either spot. Low centre of gravity, but also very strong, so is ideal for striker role. Blistering pace, and would be suited to playing by himself or even with a partner IMO. 

CHO would still have room since Martial, and even CHO are quite versatile in where they can play IMO. 

Always wanted a Son-Heung Min, Aubameyang, Anelka kind of strikeekr who can do double-duty on the wing. With Martial, Giroud and Morata our forward line is okay for next season I think.

1 hour ago, DDA said:

The rumours will rome Brixtaaan soon enough bruvva!

LOL

Me have me ears wide ope down Coldharbour braa but all me hears iz da sound of Babylon raining down badness on I an I bredren!

The guy loves to blow his own trumpet and as he keeps telling me hes been ahead on stories all the time over transfers etc even tho he said Sarri had signed and would be announced about 3 weeks ago!

On 15/06/2018 at 7:17 PM, Unionjack said:

The guy loves to blow his own trumpet and as he keeps telling me hes been ahead on stories all the time over transfers etc even tho he said Sarri had signed and would be announced about 3 weeks ago!

that guy talks outta his ass at times 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You