test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

Group G - Belgium, Tunisia, Panama, England

Started by Jason,

117 posts in this topic

England teams looks ok. Kinda hard to judge because they have scored 6 goals from set pieces from two games. 

Having said that, I like this England team. I don't get with all the complaint before the tournament. Southgate has selected decent team. They are not the favorite and they won't be brilliant. But they are solid. 

Being in a ridiculously weak greoup will make it difficult to really see where Belgium and England stand until the single elimination phase (aka World Cup) begins. Yes, they will play each other but for very little.

both teams are doing well against weak opposition, but WC is really about how you do against stronger opposition. It usually boils down to defense... very difficult to win WC games when you concede: often there isn’t enough time to turn it around when a big team decides to sit back and defend.

BTW, did not think England defended particularly well considering the opposition.

communicate and Johnnyeye like this

The game v Belgium is ideal timing for England really, they haven't been tested and it will show exactly where they are against Belgium. That Panama team were an absolute joke in all honesty but you can only beat whats in front of you.

Let's see England deal with a team with Hazard, Lukaku and De Bruyne etc, this will be a real test.

Johnnyeye likes this

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

The game v Belgium is ideal timing for England really, they haven't been tested and it will show exactly where they are against Belgium. That Panama team were an absolute joke in all honesty but you can only beat whats in front of you.

Let's see England deal with a team with Hazard, Lukaku and De Bruyne etc, this will be a real test.

If Martinez isn't lying neither of them will start the game

Was looking forward to this game but with both Belgium and us thru to next round this might  end up pretty boring.

Do we think they will both go for it to end up on top?

Or will we do a big rotation to experiment and rest the big names? Or stick with what seems to be working?

3 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Was looking forward to this game but with both Belgium and us thru to next round this might  end up pretty boring.

Do we think they will both go for it to end up on top?

Or will we do a big rotation to experiment and rest the big names? Or stick with what seems to be working?

I haven't checked myself but I read several people saying that the winner actually gets the harder route to the final.

Unionjack likes this

5 minutes ago, 11Drogba said:

I haven't checked myself but I read several people saying that the winner actually gets the harder route to the final.

LOL So it will be a case of both trying to lose!

Novel approach eh

Johnnyeye, communicate and 11Drogba like this

50 minutes ago, 11Drogba said:

The winners of the group will play the runners-up of Group H.

The runner-up of Group G will play the winner of Group H.

Their possible opponents from Group H are Japan, Senegal or Colombia.

Why could finishing second provide an 'easier' route?

Should England finish second in their group, here is a speculative route to the final:

If England win the group it could be the winner of Group H (Japan, Senegal or Colombia) then Brazil in the quarter-final, should the Brazilians win their group

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6611768/england-finishing-second-group-g-easier-route-2018-world-cup-final/

11Drogba likes this

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

The winners of the group will play the runners-up of Group H.

The runner-up of Group G will play the winner of Group H.

Their possible opponents from Group H are Japan, Senegal or Colombia.

Why could finishing second provide an 'easier' route?

Should England finish second in their group, here is a speculative route to the final:

If England win the group it could be the winner of Group H (Japan, Senegal or Colombia) then Brazil in the quarter-final, should the Brazilians win their group

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6611768/england-finishing-second-group-g-easier-route-2018-world-cup-final/

Yup, being 2nd means if you get to quarter you have to face either Switzerland or Sweden. Whereas the other bracket is Brazil or mexico. 

Easy choice 

Colombia finally finding their foot (and luck), and they are no Tunisia/Panama. If one of the team really have an intention to do the supposed 'easy route', it could backfire them. Also drawing Japan is almost guaranteed of QF place.

Cheeks starting today, all eyes on him. However both teams' lineups suggest neither is particularly interested in winning this one. Expect a boring 0-0.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

RoyalBlues likes this

Lol, destined for 0-0. Watching Panama vs Tunisia, at least they play with pride to win.

Think FIFA should make a random draw in every round, so that this wouldn't ever happen again. You have to feel for the fans coming to stadium with a huge hope.

11Drogba likes this

How Belgium sees that game against England: "we MUST absolutely loose!" and "Please guys, get a yellow card!"

It is all summarized in that sketch by Kroll. Referee says "Please someone kick in that ball or I will use lottery to decide who is winning!"

B9716176580Z.1_20180628082335_000+G4EBJ5

Martinez is obviously more clever than Southgate: Belgian squad players have been ordered to obtain as many as possible yellow cards to be sure that England tops the group in case of a draw. There is another plan: if England fails to score; Belgium is planning own-goal in last minutes.

1 minute ago, BXL70 said:

Martinez is obviously more clever than Southgate: Belgian squad players have been ordered to obtain as many as possible yellow cards to be sure that England tops the group in case of a draw. There is another plan: if England fails to score; Belgium is planning own-goal in last minutes.

Ow comon 🤦🏻‍♂️