Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

1 hour ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

Hold him to his contract. £35m is nothing. Make Bayern wait.

Does anyone have a list of players aged 18 or younger who transferred for more than £35m? I can only think of Vinicius Junior off the top of my head. £35m is not nothing; it's a massive amount of money.

51 minutes ago, MUTU said:

Does anyone have a list of players aged 18 or younger who transferred for more than £35m? I can only think of Vinicius Junior off the top of my head. £35m is not nothing; it's a massive amount of money.

Considering our owner is a billionaire, it is chump change. Money that we will just piss away anyway. Maybe in twelve months time, there will be several clubs lining up for his services and we could get a nice bidding war happening :)

1 hour ago, MUTU said:

Doesn't matter how many aged 18 players have transferred for that amount.  We won't be looking to buy an 18 year old with the money from him.  That amount of money won't buy you a starting quality replacement and that's what we'd be looking for and that's what you are telling him he is going to be for you.  Put your money where your mouth is, you being Bayern, and make us an offer we can't refuse.  Either that or get used to seeing him from afar for at least a couple more months.

Callum Hudson-Odoi denies Bayern Munich talks in major Chelsea transfer revelation

CALLUM HUDSON-ODI has seemingly denied suggestions he is about to leave Chelsea for Bayern Munich.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1073089/Chelsea-Transfer-News-Callum-Hudson-Odoi-Bayern-Munich-Talks-Denied-Premier-League-News

1 hour ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

Considering our owner is a billionaire, it is chump change. Money that we will just piss away anyway. Maybe in twelve months time, there will be several clubs lining up for his services and we could get a nice bidding war happening :)

Serious question: why should it matter if your owner is broke, a millionaire or the richest man of all time? Aren't there still FFP rules you're required to abide with? AFAIK it's not like the owner can say "oh, £35m is nothing, here's £500m for the transfer kitty from my own personal funds".

54 minutes ago, kc_blue said:

Doesn't matter how many aged 18 players have transferred for that amount.  We won't be looking to buy an 18 year old with the money from him.  That amount of money won't buy you a starting quality replacement and that's what we'd be looking for and that's what you are telling him he is going to be for you.  Put your money where your mouth is, you being Bayern, and make us an offer we can't refuse.  Either that or get used to seeing him from afar for at least a couple more months.

Because it was said that £35m is nothing. £35m is a lot of money. I'm sure you can buy the majority of Bayern senior squad players in return, for that kind of money.

That amount of money won't buy you starting quality replacement? Let's see...

Kingsley Coman cost us £25.2m (I'm including money we paid to loan him in)

Serge Gnabry cost us £6.3m (I'm excluding money we were paid for to loan him out)

Alphonso Davies cost us £9m

Total: £40.5m

Basically, given that Ribery and Robben are moving at the end of the season, Bayern are bidding almost as much money for CHO as they spent on the rest of their wingers altogether.

What I think you really need are good scouts to get players at decent prices. Well, or get a Drinkwater for that price. Your choice.

It does matter actually. In fairness in terms of FFP and homegrown quotas etc , would it not benefit us to get a player into our starting 11 that cost nothing rather than selling him for 35m and replacing him with someone that cost 56m (Pulisic for example) because as someone pointed out, you don’t get starting material for 35m nowadays it would cost us more to replace him for sure.

1 minute ago, MUTU said:

Check the post above yours.

Ok I will give you that it happens, but it is very rare and just like gambling. is hard to talk about something like this with so many variables... in England, we are not going to replace Callum for 35m though unless we were to take a gamble but we don’t need to gamble if we keep Callum.

If you put all those wingers in the EPL right now they would all be on the bench in any big team.

1 minute ago, dreamcfc said:

Ok I will give you that it happens, but it is very rare and just like gambling. is hard to talk about something like this with so many variables... in England, we are not going to replace Callum for 35m though unless we were to take a gamble but we don’t need to gamble if we keep Callum.

If you put all those wingers in the EPL right now they would all be on the bench in any big team.

For 35m nowadays, you can bring back Thorgan Hazard. I remember watching Thorgan Hazard play 90 minutes against England in Kaliningrad. Maybe my memory evades me but I don't remember seeing Hudson-Odoi also playing in that match ;) At this point in time, you can consider Thorgan Hazard an upgrade over Hudson-Odoi. Furthermore, maybe that'll help Eden want to remain at your club so you hit 2 birds with one stone too.

It really isn't rare. What's rare is clubs spending 35m on any winger, let alone an 18 year old one. It's not like your fellow Premier League clubs aren't doing it. Shaqiri cost Liverpool £13.23m.

5 minutes ago, MUTU said:

What I think you really need are good scouts to get players at decent prices. Well, or get a Drinkwater for that price. Your choice.

I don't disagree with this statement at all.  Unfortunately we have the scouts and the board that we have.  We also play in England and everyone knows the English teams have lots of money and prices go up accordingly.  

7 minutes ago, MUTU said:

That amount of money won't buy you starting quality replacement? Let's see...

Kingsley Coman cost us £25.2m (I'm including money we paid to loan him in)

Serge Gnabry cost us £6.3m (I'm excluding money we were paid for to loan him out)

Alphonso Davies cost us £9m

Total: £40.5m

I'd love to see us be able to get deals done at those kind of prices but at the moment it's just not happening.  Since we aren't able to do that kind of business 35m isn't going to be much for us.  It won't get us the quality we need or want and more importantly it won't help us with our homegrown issues.

1 minute ago, MUTU said:

For 35m nowadays, you can bring back Thorgan Hazard. I remember watching Thorgan Hazard play 90 minutes against England in Kaliningrad. Maybe my memory evades me but I don't remember seeing Hudson-Odoi also playing in that match ;) At this point in time, you can consider Thorgan Hazard an upgrade over Hudson-Odoi. Furthermore, maybe that'll help Eden want to remain at your club so you hit 2 birds with one stone too.

Go and bid for Thorgan Hazard then lol

2 minutes ago, MUTU said:

All this misses the really big point.  Callum is homegrown and been with the club for over 10 years.  Thorgan doesn't replace this.  CHO breaking into the first team helps instill confidence in our academy players that it is possible to make it into the first team.  

1 minute ago, kc_blue said:

I don't disagree with this statement at all.  Unfortunately we have the scouts and the board that we have.  We also play in England and everyone knows the English teams have lots of money and prices go up accordingly. 

In the meantime, Stoke sold Shaqiri for £13.23m and Arsenal had sold Gnabry for £4.5m. Good deals exist and are indeed common. It's actually deals sized £35m and above which are rare... according to Wikipedia, the 50th most expensive signing of all time is £42.5m

1 minute ago, MUTU said:

In the meantime, Stoke sold Shaqiri for £13.23m and Arsenal had sold Gnabry for £4.5m. Good deals exist and are indeed common. It's actually deals sized £35m and above which are rare... according to Wikipedia, the 50th most expensive signing of all time is £42.5m

Neither of those two examples are homegrown talent.  That needs to be taken into account as well.

3 minutes ago, MUTU said:

This is based on years and years of transfers, in the last few years it is not the same. We spent 56m on Pulisic, the bar has been set.

I give you that deals can be had but as I said previously there are so many variables it’s not easy to compare transfers ,