Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

Just now, Tomo said:

I could be wrong but didn't Josh, Kakuta and the rest of the group we promoted in 2010 all get rises to around the 40-60k mark. Considering inflation that's probably about 150k a week in today's world.

I think you could be right. I'm sure there was a big deal made about a contract Loftus-Cheek got early days too when he was nowhere near the first team.

It's big money and its important Chelsea don't get a problem with their young players moving forward like United and Arsenal have with their first team squad at present where one or two big money earners distort the whole scene. However in this instance for Hudson-Odoi to have played the amount of games across all competitions he did last season (and in a short period of time too) and made his England debut at just 18 years old shows he is a special case.

On the flip side too in normal circumstances he probably would have been looking at £40-50k contract anyway which would likely need renegotiating in a year or two as he plays more. This ties the boy down and immediately makes a £30-40m asset worth £80-100m minimum and hopefully beyond that we'll enjoy CHO becoming a mainstay and key player in this Chelsea squad.

The floor is now his...

Because the club are usually in the strongest position.
This time there was Bayern's interest alongside the fact we couldn't afford another KDB situation which meant Odoi held all the ace cards even with his injury.
KDB and Salah showed signs of their ability at the top level, he hasn't.

I just hope this doesn't set a bad precedent going forward.

39 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

KDB and Salah showed signs of their ability at the top level, he hasn't.

I just hope this doesn't set a bad precedent going forward.

The other way to look at it would be his current standing within the squad. If he didn't get injured he likely would have finished the season with a few more starts under his belt and is at the very least considered very much a part of the first team squad and a solid rotational player. At best he is similar to RLC whereby he is 15-20 games or 3-6 months away from potentially being first choice in his position.

If you compare his standing in the squad to the likes of Giroud, Barkley and Alonso who are solid trusted rotational options but not definite first choice then those wages are perhaps fair because they are on a similar parity to these players.

Or compared to the likes of Drinkwater and Bakayoko who are further down the pecking order in their positions than CHO is, again the wages don't seem as much of an issue.

The other way to look at it would be his current standing within the squad. If he didn't get injured he likely would have finished the season with a few more starts under his belt and is at the very least considered very much a part of the first team squad and a solid rotational player. At best he is similar to RLC whereby he is 15-20 games or 3-6 months away from potentially being first choice in his position.
If you compare his standing in the squad to the likes of Giroud, Barkley and Alonso who are solid trusted rotational options but not definite first choice then those wages are perhaps fair because they are on a similar parity to these players.
Or compared to the likes of Drinkwater and Bakayoko who are further down the pecking order in their positions than CHO is, again the wages don't seem as much of an issue.
Players ought to be paid what they are worth solely based on performances or actual influence on the team, instead he's earning his wage on hype rather than 5* performances on the field. RLC is FAR more deserving of such a wage but two wrongs don't make a right.

People need to stop using the same stupid excuse about "modern times". The club had no obligation to cough up.

It seems like only yesterday JT was our highest paid player earning £180pw having led the team to multiple titles as captain.

KDB did. Salah not so much. No one expected Salah would turn into the beast he is but everyone had a good idea about KDB, especially after the 2013 preseason. 
Salah did his bit in Serie A whilst he still owned by us, so the jump might have surprised some, but he was still a better option than most of our wingers back then and to date.

Cuadrado bought for £30m~ too. [emoji58]

5 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Players ought to be paid what they are worth solely based on performances or actual influence on the team, instead he's earning his wage on hype rather than 5* performances on the field. RLC is FAR more deserving of such a wage but two wrongs don't make a right.

People need to stop using the same stupid excuse about "modern times". The club had no obligation to cough up.

It seems like only yesterday JT was our highest paid player earning £180pw having led the team to multiple titles as captain.

Of course the club had no obligation to cough up but it would be stupid not to. We're being offered around £30m for an 18 year old with 12 months on his contract and would lose him next year for minimal compensation. 

Signed up for 5 years, as an asset he suddenly becomes worth £80-100m. I would expect in September/October when we first wanted to renew him we would have been looking at £40-50k possibly as a contract anyway. If we're paying an extra £2.5-3m per annum in wages to him but increased his market value by about £50m it makes complete financial sense. 

I completely agree with you that wages should be earned on performances and not hype or potential but its not as simple as that and quite frankly I'd rather we overpay him a little and take that chance that he'll realise his potential and be worth the money as opposed to not paying up and losing a player who could become a serious talent given the platform.

5 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Salah did his bit in Serie A whilst he still owned by us, so the jump might have surprised some, but he was still a better option than most of our wingers back then and to date.

Cuadrado bought for £30m~ too. emoji58.png

This was during a time many of us, myself included, got caught up in the whole Mourinho work rate > technical ability hype. 

Oscar+Ramires > Mata + KDB

Willian > Salah 

A 18 year old demanding a number 10 jersey he should be proud to put any number on his back to play for Chelsea I can't stand the attitude of CHO already sell him to fuck you have to earn the number not demand it :middlefinger::middlefinger::middlefinger: Hazard wore 17 he didn't demand the number 10 jersey when he signed for Chelsea 

38 minutes ago, the wes said:

A 18 year old demanding a number 10 jersey he should be proud to put any number on his back to play for Chelsea I can't stand the attitude of CHO already sell him to fuck you have to earn the number not demand it :middlefinger::middlefinger::middlefinger: Hazard wore 17 he didn't demand the number 10 jersey when he signed for Chelsea 

I think the 10 was not available back then

45 minutes ago, the wes said:

I doubt it's a demand, but it's more than likely a discussion point which is more than respectable because that number is available. If another player already had that number I don't think this would be an issue.

Now if it's a case of, for example, CHO and Willian both wanting the number 10 shirt I would be inclined to give it to Willian who will likely be here only for another season or two and dangle the carrot to CHO to pay his dues and perform and that shirt will be available again in the near future. The club however may view it in a different way and feel that CHO is more marketable longer term than Willian and would benefit as a result from that shirt number.

35 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I doubt it's a demand, but it's more than likely a discussion point which is more than respectable because that number is available. If another player already had that number I don't think this would be an issue.

Now if it's a case of, for example, CHO and Willian both wanting the number 10 shirt I would be inclined to give it to Willian who will likely be here only for another season or two and dangle the carrot to CHO to pay his dues and perform and that shirt will be available again in the near future. The club however may view it in a different way and feel that CHO is more marketable longer term than Willian and would benefit as a result from that shirt number.

Why not signed new deal after that then request for number 10 jersey ?? Instead of put in the request in with his new deal talks 

Just now, the wes said:

Why not signed new deal after that then request for number 10 jersey ?? Instead of put in the request in with his new deal talks 

As I said it's probably not so much a 'demand', more a topic of conversation which has been raised during the contract talks.

With the Willian interview though, it will be interesting how this pans out and who ends up with the number 10.

9 hours ago, the wes said:

Remember Joey Cole saying his dad almost made him walk away from signing for Chelsea because they'd promised him the no10 shirt and then where going to give it to veron or someone like that lol. I couldn't give a monkeys what number they gave me if I'd the chance to play for my boyhood club. But as others have said think it's more a request than a demand

59 minutes ago, ulsterchelsea said:

Remember Joey Cole saying his dad almost made him walk away from signing for Chelsea because they'd promised him the no10 shirt and then where going to give it to veron or someone like that lol. I couldn't give a monkeys what number they gave me if I'd the chance to play for my boyhood club. But as others have said think it's more a request than a demand

I remember Gallas throw his dolly's out of the pram because ballack got his number 13 Jersey