Olivier Giroud

milka

Just now, Henrique said:

????
Morata does not fit Conte's system. Giroud is more a Diego Costa kind of player than Morata. When Morata is not scoring goals with his head he is pretty useless for the most part. Morata does not even do what a "target man should be doing". 
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/feb/12/olivier-giroud-well-groomed-half-speed-costa

It was meant in an ironic way and highlighting the fact Morata probably would of either gone to ground or tried to turn his man.

5 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

It was meant in an ironic way and highlighting the fact Morata probably would of either gone to ground or tried to turn his man.

I did not read your post well, I thought you said you would start Morata over him.

Really just need some matches and minutes to sharpen up. The physicality and workrate were there already.

Also goes to show you how a good center forward can immedietly strike up a great understanding with Hazard. Costa, Morata, and now Giroud have just about instantly linked up well with him.

3 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Does nothing special at all for Hazard's first last night. All he does is let the ball hit is foot and get across his man, everything a target man should be doing.

He's going to give Morata and Conte something to really think about it. I'd start him over Morata right now, injury or no inury.

He is what Conte want from his cf, hold up the ball and link up with the AMs. He is like the opposite of Michy. A fantastic link up player but horrible finisher. 

3 hours ago, Pizy said:

Really just need some matches and minutes to sharpen up. The physicality and workrate were there already.

Also goes to show you how a good center forward can immedietly strike up a great understanding with Hazard. Costa, Morata, and now Giroud have just about instantly linked up well with him.

Eto'o too (even if he was OAP).

5 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'm going to dissent a little.

Olivier displayed the great technique we knew about from Arsenal, showed the lack of pace we knew about from Arsenal and gave a clue or two about why he's here not there. He indulged in our 'flicks & tricks' offence that looks great when it comes off, but is low percentage and just an excuse for the lack of genuinely effective attacking options. He also gave the ball away a lot. That is certainly something that can be cured by increasing familiarity with his new teammates but it is far, far too early to declare his debut a roaring success.

Agree, I feel as the game wore on he actually got worse. I think this was partly as he tired and there was a period at the start of the second half where West Brom pushed a little bit and we were struggling to get out. He was trying to flick the ball or bring someone into play when really he just needed to hold on to the ball for a few seconds to help us get out and support him.

I like what I saw in the first half though. I think he will score goals and play better as he gets fitter and used to the way we play. It's easy to say he's used to the league but it also takes time for players to get used to a different team in the same league with a different style of play. I think we'll be more receptive to chucking the ball into the box for him at times that Arsenal wouldn't have been prepared to do. I think this will benefit him at times, and also gives us an alternative option.

Also pleased to see Morata back. He was poor before his injury but the rest I think will do him some good and the added competition will push him on and prevent us from flogging him to death.

He's a great all round pro, he never moaned at Arsenal playing second fiddle and when he's needed he will give everything. He's fucking hard as nails too, he will not shirk his duty and is a great addition to this side.

23 minutes ago, Beigl said:

Seems like we got a great player in Giroud. As it stands now he should start against Barcelona. 

he has to play his link up play better than Morata and he holds up the ball better aswell 

Looks like a man with a point to prove, which bodes extremely well for us. Impressed with him against Hull and also quite happy with what I seen of Emerson. Hopefully Barkley can have a positive impact when he comes back too, would be a nice wee boost going into the latter stage of the season.