test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

33. Emerson Palmieri

Started by Jason,

412 posts in this topic
8 hours ago, Vesper said:

I am the biggest Alonso basher here, and TBF, most all of those who were saying that said so (mostly, a few hold-outs still were trying to pass off that shit even later on) before Emerson finally came good (middle of last season) and looked the great player he was at Roma pre-injury

Emerson is now streets ahead of La Tortuga,and there are only 5 LBs who maybe be remotely available next summer who I would rate as must buys over him

Alex Telles (Porto)   Ben Chillwell (Leicester)      José Gayà (Valencia)         David Alaba  (Bayern, and last year to buy, as he is 29 in summer 2021;plus he will still be insanely expensive)          and maybe Alejandro Grimaldo (Benfica)  

Alex Sandro is already too old in summer 2020, as he turns 30 in middle of next season

massive drop-off after all those as Lucas Hernandez, Junior Firpo, and Ferland Mendy are now all off the board, Faouzi Ghoulam turns 30 nest season, and Benjamin Mendy is so injury prone it is ruing his career ATM (plus Shitty will not sell him if he fully recovers)

Can see Lampard doing an English revolution like United are doing now and sign Chillwell

Chillwell and Emerson will be like having Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge. Cannot ask for better cover

Vesper and Johnnyeye like this

People seem to be more enthusiastic about Emerson than I am. It could be that I missing something, but I really haven't seen enough from him yet. I'm on board with the idea that he is now our first choice, but the long-term answer? I just don't see it. 

11Drogba likes this

48 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

People seem to be more enthusiastic about Emerson than I am. It could be that I missing something, but I really haven't seen enough from him yet. I'm on board with the idea that he is now our first choice, but the long-term answer? I just don't see it. 

The thing is, you are kind forgetting that if he does not play Alonso will, which is the worst thing that could happen.. ( damn I really hate that guy )

1 hour ago, Bobo said:

The thing is, you are kind forgetting that if he does not play Alonso will, which is the worst thing that could happen.. ( damn I really hate that guy )

While I don't hate Marcus, I do fully agree that Emerson should start ahead of him. My position is that Emerson is our starter by default; he is the best we have, but he is not of the quality we need. In common with a number of people, notably Vesper, I have left back down as priority number two once we are able to sign players again.

Tomo and Mana like this

2 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

While I don't hate Marcus, I do fully agree that Emerson should start ahead of him. My position is that Emerson is our starter by default; he is the best we have, but he is not of the quality we need. In common with a number of people, notably Vesper, I have left back down as priority number two once we are able to sign players again.

I agree with this, unless Emerson majorly improves over the course of the season. We have to go to the market anyway next summer for a LB regardless.

Alonso should be sold ASAP.

Tomo and NikkiCFC like this

Heh fair enough I guess I’m really not a fan. 

Thought he was one of the poorest players against Norwich today. Very wasteful around the opposition box esp with the amount of spaces he had. His shooting is quite poor too.

prob zouma does not make his life easy with awkward and pedantic passing, so will have to wait for rudiger on that.

Yes he was poor today and is probably just an average player anyway.  But Alonsos lack of pace and positional discipline makes him an absolute liability. Emerson is a brilliant athlete with flawless work ethic albeit erratic in his final ball and shooting.

Supermonkey92 likes this

2 hours ago, Robchels said:

Heh fair enough I guess I’m really not a fan. 

Thought he was one of the poorest players against Norwich today. Very wasteful around the opposition box esp with the amount of spaces he had. His shooting is quite poor too.

prob zouma does not make his life easy with awkward and pedantic passing, so will have to wait for rudiger on that.

He created a good number of chances, Christensen’s was one of the best of the match. 

Stats likes this

Gem in the making. Reckon we’ll all be talking about needing a back up vs an upgrade on him come end of the season 

8 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Gem in the making. Reckon we’ll all be talking about needing a back up vs an upgrade on him come end of the season 

I'm betting against that. So far through preseason and in the early days of the season proper, Emerson has played one half that I was happy with. The rest of his output has frustrated the heck out of me. His chronic one footless, and shyness about looking for a forward continuity pass, steals all of the forward momentum from a big percentage of our movements.

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'm betting against that. So far through preseason and in the early days of the season proqper, Emerson has played one half that I was happy with. The rest of his output has frustrated the heck out of me. His chronic one footless, and shyness about looking for a forward continuity pass, steals all of the forward momentum from a big percentage of our movements.

I think in general squad players being regular starters in our squad has held us back for a while, then in 2017 we made it worse by adding more squad player's to go with the one's we already had. Not only that but when our top player's decline to the level of squad player ability we tend to take years to act accordingly (Ivan and the old guard), hopefully the same mistake isn't made with Azpi.

To truly push forward and challenge again we need to make top quality signing's while pushing the squad player's back to appropriate roles, with the player's we now have coming through the system that should be a lot easier as we have less spaces to fill.

He's vastly improved from last season. I didn't think he justified last season being lauded so much amongst our fan base over Alonso.

He does look fitter and more confident that he has the trust of Lampard.

The stat regarding tackles and not being dribbled past is interesting because I think overall he's been very good defensively so far this season despite the team's shortcomings as a whole. A lot of the problems we've experienced so far is down Azpi's side or straight through the middle. I don't remember many problems down the left hand side.

He does however need to improve his attacking output if he is the long term solution. He's got a good pace and energy about himself, but his final ball or decision making in the final third is just far too inconsistent at present. He has shown flashes of capability so will be interesting to see if he can improve on this area over the course of the season because I believe right now the left back position is his to lose this year.

OhForAGreavsie, Tomo, manpe and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

I think in general squad players being regular starters in our squad has held us back for a while...

A perfect summation of the situation.

That situation is particularly badly exposed if we compare our depth at leftback with Manchester City's. In my opinion, any of the four options they have at LB would, when fit, be the stater here.

Edit: I moved the second paragraph from a different post because it made more sense as a response to what @Tomo had to say. I did that after Tomo had 'liked' the original version of this post, so maybe he wouldn't want to associate himself with the comparison I made to Man City.

Tomo likes this