test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

33. Emerson Palmieri

Started by Jason,

394 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, Strike said:

Laughing at all those suggesting last season that Alonso was on the same level or better! This guy is a solid left back

😂 I remember those comments. 

I am starting to see a trend here. 

The players are only as good as their last game.

killer1257 and kellzfresh like this

I made a comment midway through second half of last season that Emerson would be so much better if he developed a bit of confidence, aggression and proactiveness to his game - and how Andy Robertson does that really well. Tbh I thought it would come soon enough with being more comfortable as he got more games under Sarri but it never did..under Lampard now it seems to have come and he looks so improved. In attack and defence. In fact perhaps his defence is the most impressive improvement. Only two games but looking good.

I also agree that in last two games he has been good everywhere other than final ball..but it also shows that to be a strong full back it’s not just the crossing..eg with Azpi and Alonso their poor crossing wasn’t the only thing hindering them. With Emerson he’s still able to support the attack quickly, break lines and interchange play quickly. And he plays out from back well. Maybe/hopefully the final ball comes. Still, in last two games he has hit crossbar, tested ‘keeper (against United), created the Pulisic offside goal and I believe scored his third pen in a shootout for us now, while injured, good effort.

Bosnian Blue and NikkiCFC like this

4 hours ago, Strike said:

Laughing at all those suggesting last season that Alonso was on the same level or better! This guy is a solid left back

Alonso scored 2 goals or something like that in the beginning of the season last season. Wait till Emerson play for at least half a season to judge 

Still i cant get why Alonso have been playing before him, he is amazing on flank. I think that Azpi could learn from him <_<

1 hour ago, communicate said:

Alonso scored 2 goals or something like that in the beginning of the season last season. Wait till Emerson play for at least half a season to judge 

Scored only 1 - against Arsenal. Scored only 3 more after that - against United, Dynamo Kiev and Slavia Prague.

And are you suggesting Emerson should be judged on goals? 

Just now, Jason said:

Scored only 1 - against Arsenal. Scored only 3 more after that - against United, Dynamo Kiev and Sparta Prague.

Yet another time you or someone else mix up the Prague clubs. It was Slavia Prague. It is like saying CSKA Moscow while meaning Spartak Moscow, or Man City and Man United.

Strike, LAM09 and 11Drogba like this

Just now, milan.cech said:

Yet another time you or someone else mix up the Prague clubs. It was Slavia Prague. It is like saying CSKA Moscow while meaning Spartak Moscow, or Man City and Man United.

giphy.gif

Bosnian Blue, Strike and Fernando like this

6 hours ago, Strike said:

Yeah, couldn't wrap my head on those who said Alonso was better. Yikes.

I don't want to see Alonso in big games again unless Emerson is injured. Alonso sucks and he needs to be sold as soon as the ban is lifted.

11Drogba likes this

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Scored only 1 - against Arsenal. Scored only 3 more after that - against United, Dynamo Kiev and Slavia Prague.

Nope but I remembered Alonso played quite well in the beginning of the season. 

2 hours ago, milan.cech said:

Pub teams, who cares :P

About Emerson... We bought him for 18m IIRC. Juventus wanted 65m for Alex Sandro. Emerson is much younger and at his best he can be on the same level. Pre injury at Roma and this season he's world class. Actually Sandro is declining so bringing Emerson was great deal! He had a horrible injury but we took a risk and it will pay off in the future. He needed season and a half to fully recover. 

January 2018 first transfer window after Emanelo left when we bought for just 50m Emerson, Barkley and Giroud was great. 

milan.cech likes this

9 hours ago, Strike said:

Lets not rewrite history, Emerson wasn't very good pre the back end of last season and looked lost against any half decent opposition.

However he's massively improved since and it's added an extra dimension to our attack from the flanks, long may it continue.

Robchels likes this

58 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Lets not rewrite history, Emerson wasn't very good pre the back end of last season and looked lost against any half decent opposition.

However he's massively improved since and it's added an extra dimension to our attack from the flanks, long may it continue.

I think he was still comfortably better than Alonso who regressed massively in 17-18

11 minutes ago, Strike said:

I think he was still comfortably better than Alonso who regressed massively in 17-18

I think the issue with Marcos is when he's overplayed, he's not the most athletic and the way Conte and Sarri used him overemphasized that further. Everytime he returned to the team fresh after Emerson had a run he usually responded with strong performances (for that reason i'd have no qualms him filling in vs Leicester if Frank decides the EP needs a rest after these two games). 

Although that said I've always said he (Alonso) is more a back up type of player so now with Emerson's resurgence we can finally use him in that capacity.

Fernando and Robchels like this

Just now, Tomo said:

I think the issue with Marcos is when he's overplayed, he's not the most athletic and the way Conte and Sarri used him overemphasised that. Everytime he returned to the team fresh after Emerson had a run he usually responded with strong performances. 

Although that said I've always said he's more a back up type of player so now with Emerson's resurgence we can finally use him in that capacity.

Not to forget Alonso looked best in a back-five with a third centre back covering for him

Fernando, Vesper and Robchels like this

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Not to forget Alonso looked best in a back-five with a third centre back covering for him

zero issues with him as an occasional left wing back

we do not play that system though

he needs to go next summer 10000000000000000000000000%

Strike likes this

13 hours ago, Strike said:

I am the biggest Alonso basher here, and TBF, most all of those who were saying that said so (mostly, a few hold-outs still were trying to pass off that shit even later on) before Emerson finally came good (middle of last season) and looked the great player he was at Roma pre-injury

Emerson is now streets ahead of La Tortuga,and there are only 5 LBs who maybe be remotely available next summer who I would rate as must buys over him

Alex Telles (Porto)   Ben Chillwell (Leicester)      José Gayà (Valencia)         David Alaba  (Bayern, and last year to buy, as he is 29 in summer 2021;plus he will still be insanely expensive)          and maybe Alejandro Grimaldo (Benfica)  

Alex Sandro is already too old in summer 2020, as he turns 30 in middle of next season

massive drop-off after all those as Lucas Hernandez, Junior Firpo, and Ferland Mendy are now all off the board, Faouzi Ghoulam turns 30 nest season, and Benjamin Mendy is so injury prone it is ruing his career ATM (plus Shitty will not sell him if he fully recovers)

58 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Actually marco can score so you can always use him as a wild card sub. 

Unless it's a free kick, Alonso is unlikely to score many in a back 4 compared to when playing in a back 3. Scored one in the second game last season and then never scored again until late March. Only 4 goals last season. His tally dropped from the previous two seasons under Conte.

ja1 likes this