test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

closed Arsenal 2-2 Chelsea

Started by Jason,

Man of the Match   34 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

• Courtois
    • Moses
    • Azpilicueta
    • Christense
    • Cahill
    • Alonso
    • Kante
    • Bakayoko
    • Fabregas
    • Hazard
    • Morata
    • Zappacosta (sub)
    • Drinkwater (sub)
    • Willian (sub)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

331 posts in this topic
As much as Morata's finishing was beyond frustrating tonight - and he deserves to be criticized - the bigger concern here is our tendency to not take our chances - like clear chances - in the big games. Happened against United. Happened at Liverpool. And now Arsenal. Should have thrashed United but didn't. Should have beaten Liverpool but didn't. Should have thrashed Arsenal but didn't. All came down to poor finishing more than anything else.
They are falling to the wrong players. I'd say at least 75% of our chances in those games have either fallen to Bakayoko or Morata.
Fulham Broadway likes this

The look at the table is disturbing. Back to 3rd and just 3 points between us and 5th placed Tottenham (provided they beat West Ham tomorrow).

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:
39 minutes ago, Jason said:
As much as Morata's finishing was beyond frustrating tonight - and he deserves to be criticized - the bigger concern here is our tendency to not take our chances - like clear chances - in the big games. Happened against United. Happened at Liverpool. And now Arsenal. Should have thrashed United but didn't. Should have beaten Liverpool but didn't. Should have thrashed Arsenal but didn't. All came down to poor finishing more than anything else.

They are falling to the wrong players. I'd say at least 75% of our chances in those games have either fallen to Bakayoko or Morata.

If those had been half chances, then you can give an excuse. But they had been clear chances, which, no matter who, should have been converted. It's not just Bakayoko or Morata. Even Hazard, Fabregas, Drinkwater have all been guilty of missing them!

Unionjack likes this

2 minutes ago, milan.cech said:

The look at the table is disturbing. Back to 3rd and just 3 points between us and 5th placed Tottenham (provided they beat West Ham tomorrow).

Feeling the same here but they do have a tough run coming up at the end of this month. United, Liverpool and Arsenal in consecutive games.

If those had been half chances, then you can give an excuse. But they had been clear chances, which, no matter who, should have been converted. It's not just Bakayoko or Morata. Even Hazard, Fabregas, Drinkwater have all been guilty of missing them!

Some players have to be given a pass because they excel elsewhere. Hazard's finishing lets him down on numerous occasions, but he can't be criticised because he has flair, is our best player, isn't part of his game and we would be a EL level side without him.

Those are a few of the comments you'll come across.

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

Some players have to be given a pass because they excel elsewhere. Hazard's finishing lets him down on numerous occasions, but he can't be criticised because he has flair, is our best player, isn't part of his game and we would be a EL level side without him.

Those are a few of the comments you'll come across.

Cesc missed one unworthy of him tonight.
Hazard misses sometimes, Diego also had some silly misses and look for similar elsewhere.
With Morats it's panic I 'm afraid, that's what it is.

kellzfresh likes this

Cesc missed one unworthy of him tonight. Hazard misses sometimes, Diego also had some silly misses and look for similar elsewhere.

With Morats it's panic I 'm afraid, that's what it is.

Cesc always seems to look for the perfect goal tbh. I remember him missing a simple chance recently, as he elected to chip it rather than smash it pass the GK. Morata has scored goals at the highest level for big clubs (scored in the CL semi & final whilst at Juve), so nerves really shouldn't be an issue.

Shame most of the chances that have fallen to him as of late haven't been instinctive situations.

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:
10 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

Cesc missed one unworthy of him tonight.
Hazard misses sometimes, Diego also had some silly misses and look for similar elsewhere.
With Morats it's panic I 'm afraid, that's hat it is.

Cesc always seems to look for the perfect goal tbh. I remember him missing a simple chance recently, as he elected to chip it rather than smash it pass the GK. Morata has scored goals at the highest level for big clubs (scored in the CL semi & final whilst at Juve), so nerves really shouldn't be an issue.

No nerves are an issue.
Go to the Stoke thread.
I can tell you about Greek player legends, from the time I used to go every Sunday - everyone knows.
They actually do score great goals, against big opponents too, but how ?
They are also assets to their club.
But you don't call them strikers.

At the same time there are some slow motion characters who are strikers. It's in the mind.

You know who is the coolest in the world ?
It's Nacho Scocco of River Plate.
Killer force, usually lobs the ball over the keepers. The crazy Pele goal of 1958 against Sweden is his cup of tea.
A notch below making to the Argantine national team, played in Mexico, Greece, Sunderland for a spell then back to Argentine.
Now he is 35 but he is the killer.

No nerves are an issue.
Go to the Stoke thread.
I can tell you about Greek player legends, from the time I used to go every Sunday - everyone knows.
They actually do score great goals, against big opponents too, but how ?
They are also assets to their club.
But you don't call them strikers.

At the same time there are some slow motion characters who are strikers. It's in the mind.

Confidence plays a big part. Some players are cocky whilst others need to build it up by scoring goals regularly.

Just now, LAM09 said:

Confidence plays a big part. Some players are cocky whilst others need to build it up by scoring goals regularly.

I doubt it.
It's one of those things we call a birthmark.
Name me a lousy goal missing machine from any team or any era in football history who then turned into a Jimmy Greaves.

I doubt it.
Name me a lousy goal missing machine from any team or any era in football history who then turned into a Jimmy Greaves.
There probably isn't one. You're either gifted in a department or you're not

Just now, LAM09 said:
6 minutes ago, cosmicway said:
I doubt it.

There probably isn't one. You're either gifted in a department or you're not

Obviously there were many players who are now forgotten by everybody - turned up only the day they signed their cards.
But there were lots and lots of high class wingers who played to the age of 35 and they never got better in the scoring department.

Some others don't know football and score Billy Dimitriades - top Greek scorer - three consecutive Toyotas . When outside the box you wondered "is this a football player ?".
The national monster of Greece is Anthony Antoniades -nailed Everton inside the Goodison park once upon a time. His shoe size does n't exist in the shops. Slower than a barge. But ...
Antoniades a high profile lawyer now, scored 30-35 per season.

Chelsea won't play any better under another manager. Today was about as good as it gets with the current squad. Simply lacking quality in the squad and depth. Perfect example of why I don't bother watching matches much anymore. 

Wait until Chelsea buy or work in players that will make them dangerous in the Prem and in Europe. Might be worth seeing again. Don't know about Morata right now.

Liverpool need one star striker added to their squad and I think they will be good enough next year to compete for the trophy assuming the VvD maintains excellent play and leadership at the back. Chelsea, by contrast, sit higher in the table but the squad needs a lot more before next season begins.

kellzfresh likes this

55 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Chelsea won't play any better under another manager. Today was about as good as it gets with the current squad. Simply lacking quality in the squad and depth. Perfect example of why I don't bother watching matches much anymore. 

Wait until Chelsea buy or work in players that will make them dangerous in the Prem and in Europe. Might be worth seeing again. Don't know about Morata right now.

Liverpool need one star striker added to their squad and I think they will be good enough next year to compete for the trophy assuming the VvD maintains excellent play and leadership at the back. Chelsea, by contrast, sit higher in the table but the squad needs a lot more before next season begins.

That's quite debatable....yes we need couple of quality additions in key areas like wingback positions and attacking role...but the same time its our finishing that has been letting us down despite the weakness in key areas of the pitch....we could have banter Atletico United and again Arsenal...thanks to Morata piss poor miss and finishing and our poor finishing finishing attitude... Liverpool defence will not improve astronomically cos of a single player in VVD which in my own opinion is overrated...let klopp play all d attacking football of this world his defence will always be a suspect which in IMO will make it difficult for them to compete...

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Its just a seasonal form IMO. We miss these chances every game.

Next season, same players could bury 90% of those same chances. 

There are seasons when nothing goes in and seasons when everything goes in. 

Im glad we at least create chances. Would be worried if we didnt at all.

nachikethas likes this

A top 2 side would've won that game, so no surprise because we're just a class level below the 2 Manc teams.

Leif likes this