test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

the wes

Jean Seri

Started by the wes,

203 posts in this topic

I am actually glad we are going for players despite no clear situation with the coach. We don't give a fuck much what coach thinks about players we have anyway, let's face it.

oldportblue likes this

3 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Kante, RLC and Seri would be a very combative midfield.

yup and as a B unit Barkley, Cesc and Bakayoko... 

oldportblue likes this

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

If we sign this lad then playing 3 in midfield may be necessary against more powerful, big sides like United and Spuds. Playing with two tiny midfielders like Seri & Kante against the likes of Matic/Pogba/Fred & Dembele/Dier/Wanyama and we'd get bullied around the pitch.

So hopefully RLC is integrated into the side seamlessly or Bakayoko improves massively.

Kante is powerful. He's short but doesn't get bullied.

oldportblue likes this

Two Short midfielders ?  I prefer Jorginho but no chance of course for him :)

7 hours ago, manpe said:

Looks like he's going to be our first signing, and not a bad one at that. Possibly only waiting for a manager to be appointed first (FFS get it done!). We will then have 2 short and quick midfielders in Kante and Seri, surely the third one needs to be a strong powerhouse then (do we trust Bakayoko with this? Or RLC?)... Can't shake the feeling that we still need another midfielder.

3 hours ago, Pizy said:

If we sign this lad then playing 3 in midfield may be necessary against more powerful, big sides like United and Spuds. Playing with two tiny midfielders like Seri & Kante against the likes of Matic/Pogba/Fred & Dembele/Dier/Wanyama and we'd get bullied around the pitch.

So hopefully RLC is integrated into the side seamlessly or Bakayoko improves massively.

On paper City's midfield is weak and would get bullied, arguably the greatest team off all time had only two tall players in it and neither of them are particularly powerful. If we played a midfield 3 of Kante, Seri and Mount say vs United Matic and Fred will be tripping over their own shadows.

1 hour ago, El P. said:

I am actually glad we are going for players despite no clear situation with the coach. We don't give a fuck much what coach thinks about players we have anyway, let's face it.

Poslano sa mog SM-A310F koristeći Tapatalk

Very few clubs run with a manager having the final say, one that does is United and look what's happened there.

Superblue_1986 and Belgiannutt like this

38 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Very few clubs run with a manager having the final say

This is true but most successful clubs also have a director of football. Atletico, City, Bayern, Juventus and others. If we had a Director of Football with a proven record I don't think people would criticize the board this much for not giving the managers more power in transfers.

Tomo, Unionjack and Supermonkey92 like this

The club and the manager have to work together.  I think that the idea of the manager having the final word in the market is an English media thing.  Clubs in England seemed to be the last to go to a director of football model.  In fact, if I recall, they used to refer to it as a "Continental set-up".  But, just about every club does it now, I think.

Managers know that if results don't come, they get the sack.  If it were up to them, the clubs would spend ridiculous amounts of money on players that are older, and have no re-sale value.  Newcastle fans slated the club for not backing Keegan in his last stint, but his short list was ridiculous.  The club needs to look after their long term interests, managers are usually all about "win now".  Redknapp at Portsmouth is a prime example of how it goes wrong when a manager has too much power.

But, they need to work together or you get the square peg in round hole scenario.  

This is where a club identity and style has to fit with the manager.  It's well and good to have great promising talent, but if they don't get played, they risk being shipped off to somewhere like Wolfsburg for example before they really get a chance.

As far as Seri goes.  With some players, it doesn't matter who the manager is.  A ball playing CM with vision and technique will fit in with just about any midfield. 

Unionjack likes this

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Very few clubs run with a manager having the final say, one that does is United and look what's happened there.

I think Mourinho actually got some really good players, but he doesn't know how to set them up...

Unionjack likes this

20 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

This is true but most successful clubs also have a director of football. Atletico, City, Bayern, Juventus and others. If we had a Director of Football with a proven record I don't think people would criticize the board this much for not giving the managers more power in transfers.

Our latest supposed link is Ballack. I read today a report where ha said that we have done bad business in the past few seasons with transfers and he doesn't think that throwing money at the problem will fix it!!!

He says with our academy winning everything there is the answer is to use more of them!!

Now I'm all for us bring in the best of the bunch and I wish we had given them more time over some this season.

But i do think we need that balance of age/experience and fresh blood.

but that's where its so important to have a DOF with a strong footballing history and working hand in glove with the manager.

I don't think the manager should have total control of players coming/going but I would like to let him have some sort of veto button if he feels strongly about one coming/going cause we don't need anymore collecting dust on the bench. But at the same time dont want us getting rid of good players just down to personality clashs.

11Drogba likes this

Improvement on Bakayoko and Drinkwater but still another average player in my eyes. We need a top level midfielder this summer to boost our options, we should be looking at guys like Verratti, Jorginho, Kovacic (still has so much potential to grow)... they are so much better. Seri is alright fair enough and hes not exactly the style of player we don't need but if he is going to be signed and people expect him and RLC to be catalysts and change our MF then be prepared for disappointment. 

Unionjack and Clockwork like this

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

Improvement on Bakayoko and Drinkwater but still another average player in my eyes. We need a top level midfielder this summer to boost our options, we should be looking at guys like Verratti, Jorginho, Kovacic... they are so much better. Seri is alright fair enough and hes not exactly the style of player we don't need but if he is going to be signed and people expect him and RLC to be catalysts and change our MF then be prepared for disappointment. 

I think Seri is better than what you think. He is Payet mark 2. 

My very first choice would be Kovacic, but Seri is still miles ahead of Cesc nowdays. At least our midfield would be more dynamic again.

kellzfresh likes this

Seri's agent: "We're talking to Napoli. He's tempted to wear the blue jersey, he would love to come to Napoli. Ancelotti is one of those coaches who could really enhance his qualities."

10 minutes ago, iceboy said:

Off to Napoli.

Not yet, but I wouldn't blame him if he made it official. Chelsea seemingly can't do anything right this summer.