• Drinkwater
    • Fabregas
    • Hazard
    • Morata
    • Willian (sub)
    • Bakayoko (sub)
    • Cahill (sub)

6 minutes ago, Leif said:

Just half a year ago Christensen was only 20, remember that. If we want to throw the 'wonderkid' tag around, surely he's totally deserving of it, without any exaggeration.

Stop with those positive posts, mate... :P

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like others said, based on the form, our strongest XI. Cahill is actually in ok form too, but Rudy is becoming a beast. Drinky ahead of Baka any day. Zappa isn't anything special, Moses is just faster and stronger, it should be enough.

(sorry for double post, wasn't on purpose)

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

After Benitez took over United won 15 out of 17 games en route to the title. Did you really expect a squad that had not one single player who was world class and in his prime to keep up with that relentless pace? And that was before we factor in the other comps we were going for. 

The only elimination I put on Rafas shoulders was the CWC, that still annoys me to this day. You can lose to City anytime and we battered Swansea and only lost because Ivan forgot who he played for on the night. 

No, but not losing to West Ham, Newcastle, QPR at home and win against relegated Reading would've been nice.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

3-5-2 can be predictable as well. If Newcastle can stop Hazard and Morata and pack out of the midfield, then our only options is to go wide and we know Alonso and Moses ain't that great when it comes to producing quality in the final third.

True but the lack of quality in wider areas will always be an issue regardless iof what formation we play. Better to go all in on your strenghts then to try and spread yourself thin to cover the weaknesses. 

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Okay long post coming up lol

Tough game although they can be hit and miss, they’ve not been great recently result wise for them IIRC and I expect us to beat them with Alvaro getting back among the goals but it could be a deceiving fixture looking at their recent form it might not be as easy as we think, think over the last good while they’ve seemed to enjoy turning up against us when nobody would expect it and putting a shift in so who knows, although we have also scored quite a lot of goals past them in recent times too.

Quite like the look of Mikel Merino in the middle of the park for them though, looks a talented player, does a bit of everything, only 21 and from what I’ve heard from a few Newcastle fans who are mates of mines probably their best player so far. 

Not really, the team had no real structure, we were winning games at first so it wasn’t a major issue and even when we started conceding it didn’t matter because we were outscoring teams but it caught up to us.

After a promising start that United game showed every team in the league where our weaknesses were as they isolated our aging full backs (Ivanovic and Cole) who had no protection at all because the likes of Hazard Oscar and Mata were given a free reign and didn’t work backwards to help out as well as some individual mistakes. It took a good manager at a good team to expose this, I think Ferguson ditched his diamond formation for this match.

We also drew with Swansea, Liverpoo, got beat by West Brom as well before the game against Juventus where he looked out of ideas as well as the very poor performances against Shakhtar in both matches, can’t remember the dates, just know it was before Benitez. Shakhtar sure they were a talented team with Mkhitaryan, Willian, Luiz Adriano, Teixeira and Srna but not like we couldn’t beat them. I think the team was on a downward spiral in terms of performances before the Juventus game. The Juventus game absolutely sealed RDM’s fate. 

Not the biggest Benítez fan and I wasn’t overly impressed by his appointment but looking back at it I’d like to ask folk who said “Rafa was needing us more than we needed him”, if we didn’t get Benítez who would we have gotten? Forget the results, playing style, whatever he did, who was actually a better fit out there at that time that was available and looking for work? 

Everyone said we wanted Pep (would of been great sure).. he had no interest in coming out of his sabbatical and by the looks of it no interest in Chelsea at all. Harry Redknapp, Guus Hiddink and David Moyes we’re all of interest too apparently along with Rafa. I know out of the 4 I’d of rathered Benítez because at least we would of been a unit as opposed to 11 individuals. Sure if Pep was willing we would all of taken him every time but he wasn’t. I doubt many managers with contracts or job security like Moyes or Hiddink had at the time or many other managers would of been willing to join Chelsea who had just sacked 2 managers in the space of 17 months.

It was a win-win considering we got a reasonably experienced manager on a short term deal, won a trophy, finished 3rd and ultimately the most important thing, thank fuck we didn’t appoint that overrated, annoying cunt Harry Redknapp. 

Sure the Swansea semi finals in the League Cup and Club World Cup were poor but we also got spanked by Atletico in the Super Cup and outplayed by Shakhtar along with a few poor results in the league, it was really a season of transition and even José couldn’t turn that team into the finished product in his first season.

Probably you're right about him being an optimal candidate at the time, but we still had option with Hiddink at least. What Rafa had? He was out of work for 2 years before Chelsea hired him. After he got two very good jobs - Napoli and Real (and failed at both of them, but that's different stories).

Again, I'm not saying that he failed at Chelsea, but he also done nothing incredible.

The goalkeeper position is the position I understand least, but surely this habit of Courtois to push the ball away instead of just hold it is a terrible trait to have.