Mason Mount

the wes

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

That logic doesn't reallt work because if CHO does get sold it's not something we are doing by choice.

But we are having to make the choice because the manager isn't giving CHO enough game time and if that's already happening, then who's to say that the same won't happen with the other young players? We are already bad at developing young players and we have a manager who doesn't boast a good record at using young players as well. 

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

But we are having to make the choice because the manager isn't giving CHO enough game time and if that's already happening, then who's to say that the same won't happen with the other young players? We are already bad at developing young players and we have a manager who doesn't boast a good record at using young players as well. 

Neither Mason or Tammy will command the type of interest CHO is, and both seem desperate to make it here anyway especially the former.

37 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Neither Mason or Tammy will command the type of interest CHO is, and both seem desperate to make it here anyway especially the former.

They can talk about making it here all they want but at the end of the day, if they don't get the chances, the playing time, they will want to leave. 

• 3 weeks later...

Matt Law's Chelsea briefing tmg_smt_glyph_sport.png

Mounting pressure on Mason's prospects

Chelsea’s hunt for a midfield replacement for Cesc Fabregas has forced
them to consider the development of Mason Mount.

Mount is currently on a season-long loan at Derby County and has
already earned an England senior call-up for the games against Croatia
and Spain last October.

Chelsea identified both Cagliari’s Nicolo Barella and Zenit St
Petersburg’s Leandro Paredes as potential replacements for Fabregas,
but conversations within the club also centred on Mount.

Scouts were asked to assess whether or not they felt 21-year-old
Barella or 24-year-old Paredes would provide a direct block to Mount’s
path towards Chelsea’s first-team squad.

Fearing they are fighting a losing battle to try to keep 18-year-old
Callum Hudson-Odoi, who has been the subject of a £35 million bid from
Bayern Munich, Chelsea are determined not to face a similar scenario
over 20-year-old Mount.

The Blues are well aware that English and foreign clubs will pounce on
any opportunity to try to convince Mount to seek first-team football
elsewhere.

And Chelsea are determined to be able to demonstrate to Mount that he
will be given every chance to succeed at the club he first joined at
the age of six.

Having spent a hugely valuable season on loan with Championship
promotion chasers Derby under the watch of Chelsea legend Frank
Lampard, Mount is likely to go on loan to a Premier League club next
season.

Ideally, Mount would be able to stay at Derby if they get promoted but
if they do not then the youngster is likely to be loaned elsewhere to
get top-flight experience.

Chelsea’s hope is that he will then be ready for their squad and
compete for a regular first-team place.

Given the club’s high turnover of managers, it cannot be taken for
granted that current head coach Maurizio Sarri will feel the benefit
of Mount’s development but Chelsea are determined not to allow him to
become disenchanted.

In an ideal world we would use the academy as a feeder straight into 1st team back ups.

But in reality the majority just aren't good enough for our needs. And its necessary for them to have 1/2/3 years playing regular,getting kicked/building their physique and strength before we could use them.

They aren't all at CHO level who also isn't exactly ready tho still usable.

The major plus is that they are HG.

We don't really know if Mount or Tammy will be ready by the summer do we. So are we prepared to gamble on the hope they are and not bother finding someone now?

Other teams mange to have 2 good players pushing for a starting spot. Its important that we do.

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea: Mason Mount is not the regista you are looking for

https://theprideoflondon.com/2019/01/26/chelsea-mason-mount-not-regista-looking/

Mason Mount has been playing an absurd amount of minutes at Derby County on loan from Chelsea. Some want him to return as a regista deputy. He is not that.

Mason Mount is one of the loan army’s brightest stars. Frank Lampard seemingly agrees as he has virtually played Mount every minute he has been available. In fact Mount (and Fikayo Tomori) have both played more than Derby County’s first choice keeper and are only beaten out by the team’s captain.

Chelsea management and fans alike are already looking towards the future. The Blues need someone to deputize Jorginho right now. But some want Mount to return and play the role, while others fear bringing in another midfielder will force Mount out of the club. But all of that does not make a whole lot of sense. Mount is a fantastic player, but being a regista behind Jorginho simply is not in his future. It would be a waste of his skill set. There is a sense that because he is young that he can learn the role. That is true; he could learn the role. But the question should not be whether or not he could but whether he should.

Mount is very quick with the ball at his feet. He has a great touch and great passing to pair with it. But he also has very good positional sense and Lampard has clearly been teaching him how to time his late runs. To use an antiquated and rigid definition, Mount is an eight like Lampard was before him.

Moving Mount to the regista spot could work and he would likely do well there. But he would do even better in one of the other midfield spots where he can attack more and press more aggressively. Ethan Ampadu finds himself in a similar debate right now. Whereas he can play the regista role, he is even better as a centerback. Again, just because a player is young and can learn a role does not mean they should.

snip

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

https://theprideoflondon.com/2019/01/26/chelsea-mason-mount-not-regista-looking/

Mason Mount has been playing an absurd amount of minutes at Derby County on loan from Chelsea. Some want him to return as a regista deputy. He is not that.

Mason Mount is one of the loan army’s brightest stars. Frank Lampard seemingly agrees as he has virtually played Mount every minute he has been available. In fact Mount (and Fikayo Tomori) have both played more than Derby County’s first choice keeper and are only beaten out by the team’s captain.

Chelsea management and fans alike are already looking towards the future. The Blues need someone to deputize Jorginho right now. But some want Mount to return and play the role, while others fear bringing in another midfielder will force Mount out of the club. But all of that does not make a whole lot of sense. Mount is a fantastic player, but being a regista behind Jorginho simply is not in his future. It would be a waste of his skill set. There is a sense that because he is young that he can learn the role. That is true; he could learn the role. But the question should not be whether or not he could but whether he should.

Mount is very quick with the ball at his feet. He has a great touch and great passing to pair with it. But he also has very good positional sense and Lampard has clearly been teaching him how to time his late runs. To use an antiquated and rigid definition, Mount is an eight like Lampard was before him.

Moving Mount to the regista spot could work and he would likely do well there. But he would do even better in one of the other midfield spots where he can attack more and press more aggressively. Ethan Ampadu finds himself in a similar debate right now. Whereas he can play the regista role, he is even better as a centerback. Again, just because a player is young and can learn a role does not mean they should.

snip

Done his hammy yesterday looks like

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

snip

I think Mount is ideal for Barkley role and that position is there to grab. Neither Barkley or Kovacic are creative and offensive enough for that position... Kovacic is more suited for Kante (b2b) position imo. 

Ampadu on the other hand is better midfielder than cb, what do you think? 

Just now, jernej93 said:

I think Mount is ideal for Barkley role and that position is there to grab. Neither Barkley or Kovacic are creative and offensive enough for that position... Kovacic is more suited for Kante (b2b) position imo. 

Ampadu on the other hand is better midfielder than cb, what do you think? 

I am sure I am going to make some unhappy here when I say Mount doesn't look ready for 1st team footie with us. I do agree he is an AMF all the way. I think Mount would benefit massively from a loan to a team like Hertha Berlin or Hoffenheim. Compare him to a player a  half year younger, another AMF, ie. Kai Havertz.. Havertz is miles beyond him atm, and it is certainly not from Kai being a brute physically. He is as skinny as Mount.

Ampadu's best position for me will end up being a Luiz type ball-playing CB, but also, like a reverse de Jong, Amps can play a damn good DMF too, and de Jong is a really decent CB when called upon.

Lastly, speaking of our best young players, Reece James IS ready to be at least our backup RB. Azpi is soon going to be 30 and we simply cannot win titles or trophies consistently with him as our Sarriball RB. Just too limited offensively. I REALLY want £100m PLUS budding superstar RB Achraf Hakimi  (who is fairly ambipedal and can play LB too, and is doing so a lot this year on loan at Dortmund) from Real for Eden.

James and Hakimi would give us a great young RB rotation, and free up Azpi to be CB relief (or,as I counsel, sell him whilst we can still get around £40-45m) Our fullbacks are simply nowhere near good enough atm. James/Hakimi solves that with a bang on the right, and saves us backup when we dump the ruinous Aloso (if we have a lick of sense left) and probably replace Emerson too (I still think he MIGHT come good, and is certainly better than La Tortuga.).

Image result for reece james wiganImage result for Achraf Hakimi

58 minutes ago, BlueLion. said:

Having been to 7-8 Derby games this season, I can definitely say this boy isn't Chelsea starting material. Not yet. A PL loan is an absolute necessity. 

100% agree. People were jumping the gun saying he could come from Vitesse and be part of the squad in the summer. I am under the impression he needs maybe 2 years of regular PL football to develop still.

Right now, we all know he likes to go forward, hes good at freekicks and corners etc but does he really have the other facets to his game to play as the advanced 8 in a Chelsea/Sarri 433 next season? Or any hugely outstanding ones? Not for me. Statistically he takes more shots per game than he makes key passes and he is dispossessed 1.9 times per game. Not bad but 4 goals and 2 assists in the Championship, theres the huge scope for improvement which must come from him being more decisive, having more of an impact in the middle and final third. Decision making, when to shoot when to pass more? You dont shoot you dont score but weve seem with Barkley its not always the answer. I hope he can add more goals and assists from open play this season though. Maybe have more an impact in the middle third too. Huge potential but I would say physically and technically the championships a huge change from the Dutch league, where everyone tries to play out and attack.

18 hours ago, Vesper said:

I am sure I am going to make some unhappy here when I say Mount doesn't look ready for 1st team footie with us.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. When Mason is scoring, and he hasn't been since the early part of the season, the goals round out his game and give it a gloss. Underneath that gloss however he isn't yet giving enough to be considered ready.

Ampadu's best position for me will end up being a Luiz type ball-playing CB

Again, I fully agree.

Lastly, speaking of our best young players, Reece James IS ready to be at least our backup RB. Azpi is soon going to be 30 and we simply cannot win titles or trophies consistently with him as our Sarriball RB. Just too limited offensively.

Spot on once more.

I REALLY want £100m PLUS budding superstar RB Achraf Hakimi  (who is fairly ambipedal and can play LB too, and is doing so a lot this year on loan at Dortmund) from Real for Eden.

Haven't watched the player so can't offer an opinion but, assuming you are right about him, your analysis about how he can help us paints a very encouraging picture. In that regard, I wonder what you think of Ola Aina who I notice you excluded from your most recent squad list suggestion/speculation? Ola isn't ambipedal, but contributes equally well on both flanks. Might this, plus his superior physicality and greater technical prowess compared to Marcos, make him a candidate to replace Chilwell or Emerson in your list?

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Sadly, I have to agree with this. When Mason is scoring, and he hasn't been since the early part of the season, the goals round out his game and give it a gloss. Underneath that gloss however he isn't yet giving enough to be considered ready.

Again, I fully agree.

Spot on once more.

Haven't watched the player so can't offer an opinion but, assuming you are right about him, your analysis about how he can help us paints a very encouraging picture. In that regard, I wonder what you think of Ola Aina who I notice you excluded from your most recent squad list suggestion/speculation? Ola isn't ambipedal, but contributes equally well on both flanks. Might this, plus his superior physicality and greater technical prowess compared to Marcos, make him a candidate to replace Chilwell or Emerson in your list?

Ola is gone. Torino said they will exercise option to buy. I have mentioned this a few times before. Thanks board!! Ffs. Another real quality Chels youth gone to a foreign team. He has been massive this year every game I have seen (4). Especially the night he bossed CR7.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:39 AM, Vesper said:

Again, just because a player is young and can learn a role does not mean they should.

Until not too long ago I'd agree. Ive always thought it best to pick a player who has trained his career in one spot.

But someone got me thinking that it might be best if they knew how to play multi positions. Gives them a more balance footballer head I think maybe. And better for him and us so he is adaptable.

Maybe its better in some positions more than others tho.