Mason Mount

the wes

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He's bloody 21 and playing his first season in the premier league, playing for a top 6 club on a regular basis. 

Some people need to get a grip 

James, Tomori and my man Abraham are 20/22 years and are better than Mount. He is playing on a regular basis because Lampard will play him no matter what.

For me he is like Oscar: great work rate, and thats It, but Oscar was a better footballer when he bad the ball, he was more skilled and had a better vision than Mount.

On 14/01/2020 at 10:00 PM, manpe said:

What do you mean? Nobody ever has and never will always get it right, almost always is the best you can realistically get from anybody. People who are paid big money don't always get things done and they don't have to. I'm struggling to see your point here, at first I even thought you were praising him.

Sorry for being unclear; and there I was thinking I'd found a good turn of phrase. Before I clarify let me say I thought Mason had a very good game at the weekend. 

I'm not saying Mason gets it right almost all of the time. I'm saying that he ALMOST gets it right, almost all of the time. In other words, his attempts at decisive contributions almost work out, but not quite. They just fail to split the defenders, are just over hit, or are a split second too late, and so on. That's not an exhaustive list, but I hope it illustrates the opinion I'm offering.

No one gets these things right all the time, but Mason's conversion rate is too low. His off the ball stuff and his willingness to play the uncomplicated continuity pass, and play it quickly, make a contribution to a lot of what we do, but inevitably there are moments where excellence in execution is necessary and, in the main, Mason is not connecting with too many of those chances. This, in my opinion, is the missing piece in Mason's game at the moment.

On 15/01/2020 at 2:17 AM, Henrique said:

Mate, you are one of the oldest members in this forum and you probably remember that the likes of Oriol Romeu and Gael Kakuta were once considered the future of the club in this forum, and you will also remember that Mikel was once called here "midfield maestro", Matic was considered "a godlike midfielder" and Oscar was hyped to death and even Schurrle was considered the best player in 2014 WC by many. I would like to hear from you what you think about Mason Mount, because to be honest he is probably the most average starting XI I've seen playing for Chelsea since I started following the club in 2004, and the praise he gets from fans reminds me of the praise those players I mentioned received before. 

I'm not his biggest fan nor am I "against" him. I like your comparison with Oscar, this is exactly who he reminds me of right now. His off the ball work rate is great and definitely a nice thing to have in a player, but now more than ever players (especially midfielders) need to be great on the ball too. In Mason's case I think he lacks in delivering final balls and offensive sharpness in general. I fully agree with Greavsie on what he said above, that he gets the right ideas but too often fails in delivering them. If he was 24+ I'd want him gone right now, but I have hope that he improves massively in every aspect. He has the tools for it, needs to have the right mentality to make it work, only time will tell. Tbh I wouldn't be impressed if he was an import player of the same age, but since I very much want our academy graduates to succeed, then I am willing to be very patient with him and the rest. One thing is for sure, Lampard definitely believes in him and I believe in Lampard. :P

20 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Sorry for being unclear; and there I was thinking I'd found a good turn of phrase. Before I clarify let me say I thought Mason had a very good game at the weekend. 

I'm not saying Mason gets it right almost all of the time. I'm saying that he ALMOST gets it right, almost all of the time. In other words, his attempts at decisive contributions almost work out, but not quite. They just fail to split the defenders, are just over hit, or are a split second too late, and so on. That's not an exhaustive list, but I hope it illustrates the opinion I'm offering.

No one gets these things right all the time, but Mason's conversion rate is too low. His off the ball stuff and his willingness to play the uncomplicated continuity pass, and play it quickly, make a contribution to a lot of what we do, but inevitably there are moments where excellence in execution is necessary and, in the main, Mason is not connecting with too many of those chances. This, in my opinion, is the missing piece in Mason's game at the moment.

That makes much more sense. :) 

That makes much more sense. [emoji4] 
Funny Thing is that Mount also reminds me of Oscar. This is what I wrote on Mount couple of weeks ago.

Mount reminds me of Oscar. Great at pressing and pretty good at shooting. That's it. Zero creativity, which is something needed to make a good no. 10 and is also needed here at Chelsea because we don't have Creative players.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

So, some people start realising that both have very similar strenghts and weaknesses.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

You always have to be weary of an 'attacking player' who does his best work off the ball. Sure, he can press and be a good option for tactical reasons in certain games (Tottenham away for example). But there's hardly any quality or imagination from Mount in the final third. He rarely makes the the right pass; sometimes he doesn't even see the pass which is even worse. The problem now isn't that he's playing games - it's the untouchable status he has when, clearly, the quality to deserve such status isn't there.

16 hours ago, positivefootball said:

Bang average, same as all the other youngsters unfortunately ...

The only thing unfortunate is this seems to be a typical comment from Chelsea fans on forums and social media, overreacting to everything.

When they were all playing well at the start of the season they were hyped beyond belief and now they're struggling they're all viewed as not good enough for the club.

The reality is they are all somewhere in the middle. It's far too early to make judgements on any of them. They have all shown this season periods where they are all capable of being very good Premier League footballers, and rightly should be viewed as very good potential players for the long term future of this club. The problem is fans nowadays aren't prepared to give time and patience to allow them to develop. This isn't just a problem at Chelsea, it's football in general nowadays but we are one of the worst for it when we've experienced unprecedented levels of success in the last 15 years through a policy which is purely short termism.

Tomori was doing really well earlier in the season and I do believe long term he has all the attributes to be a mainstay in our defence but he did start making some mistakes and his form went off the boil. These players all need to experience that and the harsh realities playing Premier League football that if you're not at your best week in week out you will drop points and lose games. Lampard had the luxury with Rudiger returning to bring Tomori out of the side. Same goes for CHO who was struggling, but now looks like he is getting some sharpness back in recent games after a spell as a sub.

At the moment though James, Mount and Abraham have to play because there are no alternatives without sufficiently weakening our team. James is the only full back we have capable of offering an offensive output. With Pulisic and RLC out and Pedro a shadow of the player he once was, the options to bring Mount out are limited. Barkley looks poor as a number 10 and seems more suited to playing deeper and the only other option is to play a midfield 3 instead which takes away from our offensive game in a period when we're struggling for goals. I believe if RLC had been fit this season the two would have rotated the role and Mount would have not played as much and stayed fresh. With Abraham the options to replace him at the moment are even worse.

i would question more why we have more experienced players in the squad who should now be stepping up when these younger players need them to but are seemingly incapable of doing so. It's pretty damning how reliant we've become on our younger players this season to 'step up' and as a result take the brunt of criticism when they don't.

2 hours ago, SUNZ said:

Very harsh on Tammy and Reece James. They are a different level to the likes of Mount and Odoi.

*Very stupid on Tammy and Reece.

Hudson and Mount are not average aswell. They are both out of form(CHO seems to be going upstairs) but still they are very talented and have the potential to be great.

I agree Mount should not be played this much as his form is bad but this doesn't make him deadwood at the age of 20.

They just need to grow and mature as well as being nurtured. There is always going to be ups and downs, they have all made massive strides from going from Championship football to PL in the blink of an eye.

But simply put it's cut throat business, if they aren't performing they need to be replaced and not continually played. Our squad depth is OK and behind Mount is Kovacic, and for me he's been our best player this season, he needs to be playing ahead of MM right now.

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

They just need to grow and mature as well as being nurtured. There is always going to be ups and downs, they have all made massive strides from going from Championship football to PL in the blink of an eye.

But simply put it's cut throat business, if they aren't performing they need to be replaced and not continually played. Our squad depth is OK and behind Mount is Kovacic, and for me he's been our best player this season, he needs to be playing ahead of MM right now.

It's hardly like for like though. If we were talking RLC then I'd agree but Kovacic isn't going to play as advanced as Mount and that essentially means replacing an offensive minded player for a deeper player which I don't think is the answer against the likes of Newcastle. Barkley could maybe play there but I think he's shown in recent times that he's actually better suited to playing deeper where he can pick the ball up with time facing in front of him.

I'm all for a midfield three of Kante, Kova and Jorginho against the big teams and trying to be a little more solid, but against the rest of the league who will mostly sit back and try to contain us it is far less effective.

I think the question marks around Kante's suitability in these sorts of games is more of a topic. Our run at the start of the season coincided with Kante's absence and I think Lampard should go back to trying Kova and Jorginho for these types of games. Earlier in the season Mount seemed to be finding it much easier to find pockets of space which likely stems from playing in front of the two best passers in our team who could find him quickly and decisively. 

Some probably think I'm Mount's h8er or something but I'm not. I didn't say one bad word about him in August - September. Just like I don't mind Tomori being one of four CBs I don't mind Mount being one of our six midfielders. But the fact that he played more minutes in the PL than every other outfield player is just crazy. Kovacic and Barkley are better players. But Mount seems the only undroppable midfielder in the squad. 

5 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Some probably think I'm Mount's h8er or something but I'm not. I didn't say one bad word about him in August - September. Just like I don't mind Tomori being one of four CBs I don't mind Mount being one of our six midfielders. But the fact that he played more minutes in the PL than every other outfield player is just crazy. Kovacic and Barkley are better players. But Mount seems the only undroppable midfielder in the squad. 

No one called you out. Why so sensitive? :ph34r:

He has too much Oscar vibes about him. Not too optimistic about his development, but hope he does it eventually.

We are even starting to have same story as with Oscar - he isn't in form, he is inconsistent. Nope, for now he is just what we are seeing in recent games.

Massive improvement in terms of creativity is needed (passing intelligence and accuracy first and foremost).