• Cahill (sub)
    • Morata (sub)
    • Drinkwater (sub)
    • Manuel de Sousa (Referee)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Liverpool to come next weekend, suspect we need to rotate here a little. But on the other hand, not sure how much can we rotate here with qualification on the line. Wouldn't want it to be on the line on the last day against Atletico and can't underestimate Qarabag either since they have drawn with Atletico twice and only lost narrowly to Roma at home.

Qarabag on 22nd 

Liverpool on 25th

Only 2 and half days recovery. 

This is Atletico Madrid and Man City all over again.

Why the Liverpool game couldn't be played on Sunday is beyond me. They really don't want us to retain our title. 

I hope we can rest at least two of Hazard, Fabregas and Morata as well as one of the fullbacks. But other than that I think all will be fit anyway as no one really broke a sweat in the 2nd half after having the points in the bag. Fingers crossed that we score a few early goals in Baku as well so we can take off some of the big guns and let the others stay on the bench. I would honestly consider starting Kenedy and Bats in this one. 

I'd put faith in the team and go strikerless, which i sadly doubt since on paper it looks like suicide even against a Sunday league team.
We aren't winning the CL this season, so we shouldn't sweat too much, just give it a decent go (A shame to say considering this was supposed to be the season which Conte stamped his mark on the team.)

In my world, we line up like this - 

Courtois; Rudiger, Christensen, Luiz; Alonso, Kante, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta; Willian; Pedro

Hardly an inspiring B-team :rant:

Kant'e-drinkwater? No, but he can Zapp'aCosta

:dance:

I don't even think we should make any changes. Maybe 1 or 2 at the most. We can't risk not qualifying. This lot have held Atleti twice so they're no pushovers when they're up for it. Start with a very strong team and sub out Eden/Morata/Kante if the result is in the bag just like we did against WBA.

Those Qarabagians etc as part of the USSR were doing great.
Why did they have to split ?
They imitated the habit of the British.
One of the best Greek forwards was Vassily Hadjipanayi, was Armenian became Greek.
But he had already played a match for USSR and he was certainly going to become one of their stars if stayed there.

Isn't this a case of win and qualified? So this is bound to be anything but straightforward knowing us

Does seem daft playing it on a Saturday though! Then again we play on weds and there have been cases of Europa league Thurs and games Saturday so guess can't please everyone but annoying when it's just to do with TV really.

1 hour ago, Laylabelle said:

Isn't this a case of win and qualified?

Yes. Win and we're through. Draw/Lose and we need Atletico to do the same against Roma to qualify. Otherwise, it'll go down to the final day.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

With Liverpool to come next weekend, suspect we need to rotate here a little. But on the other hand, not sure how much can we rotate here with qualification on the line. Wouldn't want it to be on the line on the last day against Atletico and can't underestimate Qarabag either since they have drawn with Atletico twice and only lost narrowly to Roma at home.

I'd leave some player's at home. Even the travel will be tiring, and with our schedule calculated risks need to be taken. After all the absolute worst case situation going to match day 6 is we need a draw at home, and even that's only the case if both results go against us here, the odds are in our favor to take some gambles with selection here.

The Atletico results are making people think this is a tougher game than it should be. A 'second string' team should still get the job done comfortably

Tibo; Dave, Luiz, Rudiger ; Zappa, Kante, Drinkwater, Alonso ; Pedro, Morata, Willian

Hazard and Cesc on the bench if needed

45 minutes ago, gadget said:

The Atletico results are making people think this is a tougher game than it should be. A 'second string' team should still get the job done comfortably

Tibo; Dave, Luiz, Rudiger ; Zappa, Kante, Drinkwater, Alonso ; Pedro, Morata, Willian

Hazard and Cesc on the bench if needed

Yeah, it's a bit silly to put much stock into Atletico's struggle vs. them considering this is their worst season under Simeone, the players are questioning the manager, Griezmann is misfiring, etc. 

We rest on our own laurels, not others. Our 2nd team must play. If our 2nd team isn't good enough to beat them, that's a massive problem and needs to come under scrutiny.

On 11/19/2017 at 8:47 AM, Tomo said:

I'd leave some player's at home. Even the travel will be tiring, and with our schedule calculated risks need to be taken. After all the absolute worst case situation going to match day 6 is we need a draw at home, and even that's only the case if both results go against us here, the odds are in our favor to take some gambles with selection here.

Not sure if we should be take that much risk TBH. If we can get the job done on Wednesday, then we can perhaps rest some players for the Atletico game in the midst of a busy period in December. Plus, things could get really nervy if we need a result to qualify in the last game. Remember Cluj in 2008?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Not sure if we should be take that much risk TBH. If we can get the job done on Wednesday, then we can perhaps rest some players for the Atletico game in the midst of a busy period in December. Plus, things could get really nervy if we need a result to qualify in the last game. Remember Cluj in 2008?

I do, but the reality is with our schedule, some calculated risks need to be taken somewhere. We only need to look back at 2015 to see what eventually happened when Jose repeatedly played his strongest side no matter what. Fergie took a similar risk in 2011, with a 2 goal lead from the first leg vs Schalke, he heavily rotated for the home game so his first team was fit to play us, when the odds are in your favour is the right time for it.

20 minutes ago, yipo said:

rotate player, i have faith roma will win. 

We just need to get the job done whilst it's in our own hands. Don't see Atletico holding back with qualification hanging by a thread

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

I do, but the reality is with our schedule, some calculated risks need to be taken somewhere. We only need to look back at 2015 to see what eventually happened when Jose repeatedly played his strongest side no matter what. Fergie took a similar risk in 2011, with a 2 goal lead from the first leg vs Schalke, he heavily rotated for the home game so his first team was fit to play us, when the odds are in your favour is the right time for it.

Considering they already had a 2-0 away lead from the first leg, not sure Fergie rotating players for the second leg can be considered a calculated risk.