• Pedro
    • Willian
    • Hazard
    • Cahill (sub)
    • Morata (sub)
    • Drinkwater (sub)
    • Manuel de Sousa (Referee)

6 hours ago, Leif said:

Yeah, it's a bit silly to put much stock into Atletico's struggle vs. them considering this is their worst season under Simeone, the players are questioning the manager, Griezmann is misfiring, etc. 

We rest on our own laurels, not others. Our 2nd team must play. If our 2nd team isn't good enough to beat them, that's a massive problem and needs to come under scrutiny.

Ironic thing is despite Atletico's struggles, we are still the only team to have beaten them in all comps this season.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

Considering they already had a 2-0 away lead from the first leg, not sure Fergie rotating players for the second leg can be considered a calculated risk.

Course it was, if Schalke opened the scoring at Old Trafford on the night then United were clinging on with the b team out.

20 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Course it was, if Schalke opened the scoring at Old Trafford on the night then United were clinging on with the b team out.

At the risk of contradicting myself here, Schalke were so average back then and United had good backups for the rotation. We don't have them. Take Morata, Hazard and even Fabregas out, we will be devoid of any attacking threat.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

At the risk of contradicting myself here, Schalke were so average back then and United had good backups for the rotation. We don't have them. Take Morata, Hazard and even Fabregas out, we will be devoid of any attacking threat.

They weren't great but they certainly were better than a lot of teams that beat United at Old Trafford down the years, so there was always that element of risk. 

1 hour ago, Stats said:

Ironic thing is despite Atletico's struggles, we are still the only team to have beaten them in all comps this season.

Had no idea they were undefeated. Somewhat impressive. It says a lot still though, that this is apparently Sevilla's worst season in 5+ years, yet they're only 2 points behind Atletico.

I wonder if people on here would still take Simeone should Conte get hit by an Italian gelato truck. It feels like slowly, Atletico are reverting to the level they were when they had a young Aguero & old Forlan up front. Potential, but not great.

I couldn't care less if we qualify 1st or 2nd in group. We have no chance to win the CL this season so I hope we get a strong team put a decent show and go out as fast as possible to concentrate on the PL and cups.

I couldn't care less if we qualify 1st or 2nd in group. We have no chance to win the CL this season so I hope we get a strong team put a decent show and go out as fast as possible to concentrate on the PL and cups.
There really isn't any need to be so negative. We are far from frontrunners but anything can happen in a knockout competition & we aren't nobodies either.

I remember our 2012 unbeatable squad, though. The good days

5 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

There really isn't any need to be so negative. We are far from frontrunners but anything can happen in a knockout competition & we aren't nobodies either.

I remember our 2012 unbeatable squad, though. The good days

That happens once in a lifetime.  I don't want to see us each round saying were massive underdogs and only to hope for an upset after lose in semifinal when I start building up emotions we might win the tropy, like with Atletico a few years ago.

That happens once in a lifetime.  I don't want to see us each round saying were massive underdogs and only to hope for an upset after lose in semifinal when I start building up emotions we might win like with Atletico a few years ago.

Don't remember us being massive underdogs against Napoli or Benfica. Not scoring away from home is normally detrimental & it showed that night but we have to move on.

We've had a decent campaign (only team to beat Atletico away) so far aside from the game in Rome.

13 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Don't remember us being massive underdogs against Napoli or Benfica. Not scoring away from home is normally detrimental & it showed that night but we have to move on.

We've had a decent campaign (only team to beat Atletico away) so far aside from the game in Rome.

We were underdogs after the first match in Napoli, Benfica yes, we weren't but Barca and Bayern we needed some of the biggest luck I've ever seen.

2 hours ago, Georgy said:

We were underdogs after the first match in Napoli, Benfica yes, we weren't but Barca and Bayern we needed some of the biggest luck I've ever seen.

We had better teams than the one in 2012 but got screwed over by so many times. The ghost goal, Moscow 2008, Barcelona 2009 etc. Justice was done in Munich.

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

We had better teams than the one in 2012 but got screwed over by so many times. The ghost goal, Moscow 2008, Barcelona 2009 etc. Justice was done in Munich.

I don't disagree but talking strictly about those matches alone we got very lucky. What's unlucky is we should've had a couple CL's already when we won 2012. By far the biggest underachievers I'd say.. I'm not sure we will ever reproduce the team we had in 2005-2010.