• Pedro
    • Hazard
    • Morata
    • Willian (sub)
    • Drinkwater (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)

9 minutes ago, Antonio8 said:

opinions of fans are important 

then there are numbers:    they are the best defence in Italy (5 goals) they scored 18 goals with 12 goalpost 

they play one match less in serie A  

*They have the best defensive record in Italy, definitely, but far from the best defence, just as definitely. They don't even know their consistent defensive lineup. 
And, we've also had the 'best defence record' - with Gary Cahill at the heart of it.

*All of their defensive credit goes to Alisson. I saw a stat that showed out of 9 or 10 games, 7 or so of those games he saved 100% of shots. And those shots got to him since he has nonsense defenders in front of him, protected by a very 'solid' but technically limited & rigid midfield.

Roma would swap their defenders for Juve's or Inter's in a heartbeat. Presuming they could keep Kolarov and fight off Nagatomo :drunk:

(And if stats mean much, we should be starting Bats ahead of Morata, and Roma should be top of the table. But the reality is that despite stats, on the field, they're not up to par.)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Leif said:

They have the best defensive record in Italy, definitely, but far from the best defence, just as definitely. They don't even know their consistent defensive lineup. 
We've also had the 'best defence', too - with Gary Cahill at the heart of it.

All of their defensive credit goes to Alisson. I saw a stat that showed out of 9 or 10 games, 6-7 of those games he saved 100% of shots.

they have the best defensive phase,  like chelsea last year 

and they create many chances to score

don't underrate them :)

My post was pretty spot on I think, but offer rebuttals if you have any. I've said this before, but i'll be shocked if i'm not the only one on here watching every Roma game, and talking to Roma fans after every game. But if you do too, i'd love to discuss their season, manager, board, new signings, etc. Fun club to dissect. 
The reason for their demise is lack of Rüdiger this season [emoji41]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hopefully Kante's hamstring isn't at risk for aggregation and he's as close to 100% as he can be so he's not risking a long term injury by playing tomorrow. We need to be extra cautious and careful with him just like we did with Hazard.

This is going to be very tough and hopefully we stand up to the test. That game at home v Roma was some of the worst defending I have seen from us, if we can tighten up I think we can sneak this.

Tibo

Azpi Luiz Cahill

Zappacosta                           Alonso

Kante Bakayoko

Pedro                         Hazard

Morata

That's what I think Conte will go with. Me personally would start Rudiger instead of Cahill.

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

This is going to be very tough and hopefully we stand up to the test. That game at home v Roma was some of the worst defending I have seen from us, if we can tighten up I think we can sneak this.

Tibo

Azpi Luiz Cahill

Zappacosta                           Alonso

Kante Bakayoko

Pedro                         Hazard

Morata

That's what I think Conte will go with. Me personally would start Rudiger instead of Cahill.

Have to hope and believe that Conte and the boys will treat this like the Atleti or Tottenham games earlier this season. Basically like a cup final. We can't go out an be passive or reactive. We have to take the game to them.

If we do what we did in the first meeting with them and just allow them to dominate possession and feed off counter attacking scraps we'll lose this time. We couldn't get any sort of rhythm, couldn't string simple passes together, and gave the ball away over and over again.

We need to show some balls here and must win. Also can't afford morale and confidence to be low for the weekend when United visit.

Last season, Roma would average 3 goals per game. This season, they struggle to score 1 per game. (3 times they've scored more than once in the league this season). That's the compromise for having statistically the 'best defence in the league', and it's certainly a bad compromise. 

Atletico Madrid are suffering from the same syndrome. Beating them wasn't the feat it would've been in seasons prior. I hope we get them again at a later stage.

Fox Sports are showing Celtic v Bayern here which will probably be 6-0 and United v Benfica which will probably be an easy United victory instead of our game. 

*sigh*

Shitty online stream it is for me. <_<