• Kante
    • Bakayoko
    • Fabregas
    • Hazard
    • Morata
    • Willian (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)

We were not allowed to play, and closed down as soon as we got the ball.. Pep learned from his two defeats last season, and to give him credit got his revenge tonight. Overall we were very poor, but Christensen was immense .Hazard wasn't let play. I thought it a very strange decision to bring on Willian when Morata got injured. To me, it then looked like we were playing for the draw. You need a target man upfront if we are to play the way we have been playing.  We were lucky it was only one goal. City look the real deal this season and wont drop many points, and they have 2 good players for nearly every position on the park. But I'm not too upset. We have played Arsenal, Spurs and City in our opening matches whereas I think this was City's first big game ( I wouldn't call Liverpool a big game) and Utd haven't played anyone of note yet, so we are still in with a fighting chance. And we wont get any tougher test than we got tonight. Although we lost, there were some positives, One was Christensen and the other was that we are fairly hard to break down when our backs are to the wall. Beware Palace, City have poked the Lion and he's angry.:rant:

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You win some and lose some. Yeah it's great to win big games, but sometimes it doesn't happen. I do believe the excuse of feeling some fatigue from the Atletico game. Two massive games against very tough opposition is hard enough for any team. Yes that's what you get when you're in the CL, but we've had one of the toughest starts to the season over most. Still 31 games to go and plenty twists and turns over the course of a season for an unnecessary overreaction. 

The really absurd thing about Bakayoko is that he got a chance and one good season in Monaco, but Chelsea played Ruben Loftus-Cheek out of position and barely at all, then loaned him to the worst side in the Prem.  If I were going to pick between the two of them, I know immediately who I would choose because one of them has bags more skill, strengh and speed than most midfielders anywhere. He just needs playing time.

2 hours ago, Robguima said:

Heh I'm one who actually appreciates the qualities Alonso has, not the ones he does not (pace and defending) - he was one of the few players today not dangling on ball under pressure and producing some pretty good one-touch passes, one to morata's chest in the first half. Think he would make a pretty good midfielder if moved/trained there tbh. We are committed to this system though, because the squad has abundance of CBs and no fulllbacks other than azpi.

BTW, Azpi is not a good wingback... He's just too defensive for a wingback and the team lacks quality and intent going forward when he's there.

Team has the wrong balance at this time: way too defensive...

I fully support moving Alonso into CM and buying another wingback ASAP.  I think he could be even more dangerous as a LCM without needing to always run out wide as the outlet (and subsequently not being able to pass a defender with (lack of) speed).

12 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

I fully support moving Alonso into CM and buying another wingback ASAP.  I think he could be even more dangerous as a LCM without needing to always run out wide as the outlet (and subsequently not being able to pass a defender with (lack of) speed).

giphy.gif

3rd place in EPL, quarterfinals of UCL, preparing squad for next season with no crazy departures (Costa and Matic), with bringing creative , offensively good fresh blood, developing what we already have. Winning a domestic cup maybe. That is what we should be aiming this season, if we are being realistic.

Won't expect more, won't expect less.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

MC deserved to win. MC pressed high with 2 to 3 players whever the ball is. Other Chelsea players rooted ,doesnt run to help his team mate being pressed. Even though Chelsea won the ball ,dnt know where to pass because no help. So blocked off Chelsea from attacking and losing the ball to opponent ,most of the time.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

After 7 league games

2016/17 - W4 D1 L2 - scored 12, conceded 9

2017/18 - W4 D1 L2 - scored 12, conceded 6

6 points in CL

without aguero they have g.jesus 

without morata chelsea has bats :Goober:

When Morata was substituted the commentator said "what's he doing ? a midfielder for a centre forward ? this will only allow Pep to push his team forward and dominate the game".
Exactly what happened.
Pedro did not even play in Spain, Bats played for 10 minutes.

Haven't read much of the comments but was surprised Moses didn't play he would have given Delph far more problems than Dave. Willian was disinterested and ineffective and I think any offers that come in for him should be listened to. City looked good but we waved the white flag as soon as Morata went off.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

After 7 league games

Last year's start was slightly easier compared to this season, with Spurs and Stoke away, Arsenal, Man City and Everton already behind us. (We then went on that winning run though :D ). As I said, forget this game and make sure we restart at Selhurst Park.

Very bad game for us ... City & Pep literally exposed all our weakness. 

This was one of those games where losing was not the issue but how we did is the worry. It seem like a practice match where City was told to attack while Chelsea was to defend and still we were not in our elements.

- Strategy was average. Not sure why did William came on as a sub when u have a second striker in place. No Moses was a surprise. 

- In game we were average, passing all over the place, positioning was not there, intelligence in the game was missing. We did have few good moments but they were far too less for a team who are Champions playing at home. 

- We didnt exploit their left side despite the fact that they had Delap there, if I m correct the first real chance on our right came in around the 65th-70th min. We made Delap look like a WC player

- Lack of quality on the bench is killing us. Plus too much dependency on Hazard is a big worry. 

- The point for taking Fabergas is to move the ball from our half into the other ... he just didnt have any impact, kept falling deeper & deeper. 

- City managed to dictate an away game at the home of the Champions despite not having Augero, Kompany, Mendy & Toure in their 11 is a real worry for us. 

City & United looks too strong and the only team to offer them some competition is suppose to be Chelsea but going by yesterday game we are way behind them. Hope Chelsea as a club realizes that if they want to be ambitious they need to help their manager in achieving that ambition & not side lining him. 

13 hours ago, quickpassnmove said:

The really absurd thing about Bakayoko is that he got a chance and one good season in Monaco, but Chelsea played Ruben Loftus-Cheek out of position and barely at all, then loaned him to the worst side in the Prem.  If I were going to pick between the two of them, I know immediately who I would choose because one of them has bags more skill, strengh and speed than most midfielders anywhere. He just needs playing time.

Different players. Bakayoko isn't as good as Ruben going forward, but he is better at the defensive side, and vice versa. 

3 hours ago, cosmicway said:

Also I don't understand why Hazard gets subbed in every match by Conte.
Hazard is 26 and 7 out of our 11 players not counting Tibot play for 90 mins. Why is n't Hazard one of them ?

He just came back from injury and is our best creative/attacking player, so Conte doesn't want to push him too hard. 

13 hours ago, Jason said:

After 7 league games

Great, so we only need now 13 wins in a row to challenge for the title.

If anything, this stat just shows how bad our situation is, if we managed to recreate the poor start of last season. Now unless Conte has another surprise of formation up his sleeves...

Just way too defensive. Fatigue kicked in but no denying it from the first minute we did not really show much. What really disappointed me was seeing Azpi at RWB. Delph is not a LB and is clearly being used as an emergency replacement. Moses or Zappacosta should have started to pose him problems and no surprise, Delph had the game of the life because we had no one with the ability to run at him and Azpi played at RWB for the whole game. Just way too negative.  We missed a trick there.

The scoreline actually flatters us. Should have been a lot more.

I just hope Morata is available after the international break.