• Kante
    • Bakayoko
    • Fabregas
    • Hazard
    • Morata
    • Willian (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)

1. That was just shit. I had expected us to defend, which we did reasonably OK, and play on the break. But where was even that attacking impetus?

2. Was Moses injured or something? It's well known that Delph was going to play at LB and yet Conte played the more conservative Azpi at RWB. Heck, where was Zappacosta? We needed width and yet we kept playing through midfield, which City didn't mind one bit.

3. Morata's injury was a big blow to us but where was the Plan B after he went off? Why did Conte bring Willian on? Literally took away any attacking presence for us upfront and all the more shocking that Willian is bang out of form right now. Even Pedro would have given a slight threat going forward with his attacking runs.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

That one wasn't even that bad. I just felt we weren't good enough and looked clueless because Mourinho couldn't coach any attacking football to save his life. This was............ they ate us alive today. It felt like a 5-0 defeat. There's absolutely no reason why they should be so superior to us and make us look like fucking Watford. 

I agree and disagree in a sense. 

They are a far more dynamic team. Sane is brilliant. Simply put, a quicker, stronger, more direct version of Willian with great finishing. Sterling is a speedster with skills who can open a game, particularly when he only has Alonso to go around. 

All around the pitch they have far more versatile and multi faceted players. Silva and KDB are just better, stronger and way faster versions of Cesc. 

Cahill just doesn't have it to play in these big games. I would have rather seen Azpi in the middle, and Moses on the wing. Moses is a physical specimen at least, and will work. 

Simply put, we are just overmatched in regards to personnel. We need a Sandro, Van Dijk, and a dynamic playmaker in the middle. 

1 minute ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

Would love to see this match played tomorrow. I think it'd be completely different. Morata, Bakayoko, Cesc, Alonso and Hazard looked absolutely knackered. Well done to TV companies. I can't criticize Conte too much. He maybe should have started Pedro. Bringing on Willian, who should be punished for this shitshow, he tries so hard to be the most hated Chelsea player in recent memory, was huge mistake. As will be benching Andreas Christensen who is amazing.

It's a pity that we don't have any squad depth.

I agree. Fabregas must be tired with the way Kante and Bakayoko carried him midweek.

its amazing we didnt concede more to be honest, the 1-0 loss is flattering, that just shows how shit we were, what a way to ruin my mood this weekend, at least we weren´t humilliated, but fuck this, i expected much more from this group of players, the fact that Morata´s injury led to this, it shows we still have big issues to solve :( this one is on the board for not getting the required targets in the summer, yes Conte got his tactics all wrong today and also the subs, but it doesnt hide the fact that our board fucked it up again. The players were tired from the Madrid game, Morata´s injury is a testament to that, such a shame to lose at home and as champions playing like this at home is embarassing, we looked like an average team, congrats to City, they were miles better than us today and we couldnt cope with them or cause them any problems, they played us off the park and they deserve the victory. 

its back to the drawing board again, lets just hope Morata´s injury isnt so serious. Cheers mates

8 minutes ago, sutro said:

Conte didnt start to win this game and thats what het got......

When you have Hazard and Morata plus a slow Cesc as your three top attacking players in the entire squad against high-pressing, quicker ManCity, what do you expect? Chelsea don't have enough attacking quality across their formation.

Just now, quickpassnmove said:

When you have Hazard and Morata plus a slow Cesc as your three top attacking players in the entire squad against high-pressing, quicker ManCity, what do expect? Chelsea don't have enough attacking quality across their formation.

Why not play Pedro. Sure he is useless a lot of times, but he does have an eye for goal and an attacking instinct.

This is going to turn out to be a depressing weekend. Gap opened up between us and the top, miles and miles behind on goal difference, potentially lost our star striker, and could tumble down the table. Liverpool, who have been pretty poor this season, can now go above us tomorrow.

Probably as bad as someone could script it.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

1. That was just shit. I had expected us to defend, which we did reasonably OK, and play on the break. But where was even that attacking impetus?

2. Was Moses injured or something? It's well known that Delph was going to play at LB and yet Conte played the more conservative Azpi at RWB. Heck, where was Zappacosta? We needed width and yet we kept playing through midfield, which City didn't mind one bit.

3. Morata's injury was a big blow to us but where was the Plan B after he went off? Why did Conte bring Willian on? Literally took away any attacking presence for us upfront and all the more shocking that Willian is bang out of form right now. Even Pedro would have given a slight threat going forward with his attacking runs.

Conte played not to lose, but in the end we lost, i didnt expect this coward aproach from him, very conservative. im extremely dissapointed

Can't blame Conte much for playing like a pussy, we don't have the players to go man on man with someone like City. In 10 years maybe we will build that stadium we keep talking about since 5 years ago.

This team is atrocious in regard to technical skill. 

Maybe it was physical and mental fatigue from the Atletico match, but some of the passing and dribbling was diabolical. 

The lack of control made Chelsea look like a U15 side at times. 

Conte had a mare. Not sure how playing hoof ball with a 5'6 Hazard up top is going to work.

Kanye was good at ball winning but his passing oof. Bakayoko was dismal. 

Alonso was far too ponderous. 

For this type of game (City, Spurs) Conte needs to rethink his team choice and the formation. 

Willian had no business to replace Morata. It's not even his position !
It's gotta be Bats or Pedro.
At that point control was gone,
Then the buildup of our counterattacks was no good. The way midfiled was lost and City had possession, only with deep balls could we do something.

I want Willian out of the team. He does nothing players like Musonda, Kenedy or even Hudson-Odoi couldn't do tbh. Dribbles it back all the way to the defence, dribbles it to a safe area for the opposition and stands still, loses the ball easily etc. He doesn't even score his trademark free-kicks or wondergoals anymore. He is also getting older so I guess January or next summer is the best time to sell him.

Christensen is really good. I did not expect him to become this great already! Saw how Pep was talking to him after the match. Probably praising his performance, but if he is trying to suggest a move to City he can fuck right off! I'm not even sure I would bench him for Luiz next game.

Hopefully Morata is ok. He obviously was a big part of the tactics Conte had ready, but Conte really should have stuck with the same tactics and brought a like-for-like sub with Michy.

Terrible match for us, but could have been so much more different!

Last thing from me this weekend - Cesc cannot play against this sort of tiki-taka, highly mobile side. Even with both Bala and Kante alongside he struggled massively. He's a total liability. You watch De Bruyne and Silva just ghost by him over and over. 

I actualy think our defence was good. City has some world class attackers and their way of play can kill off nearly anyone. And we let them attack us and attack us whole game, only thanking the defenders it was only 1:0. IMO it was one of better defending displays I saw considering the calibre of opponent. Now if our midfield and attack would do their job, we wouldnt be under pressure all the time and we could score some goals.

BUT everything else was beyond shit. The attitude, speed, transition, passing, movement, substitutions,...I can only imagine we couldnt prepare for game and players were tired. But thats no excuse to play like this. Our offense was completely non existent and our tactics reverted to that defend whole game and score a fluke goal. I guess Atletico game was just one-off. Because its either that or players simply dont give a fuck. Willian was beyond embarassing, but everyone else played in second gear, not trying anything to change something. There was defense and then nothing. No midfield, no wingers, no attackers, no playmakers...just a bunch of players who were defending whole game. 

Bottom line, if we intend to play like this, whats the point signing nice technical guys like Morata. It was plan to bring him and players like him so that we can play more with possesion and creativity. Today was just the same old bunker with zero attacking plan. In that case Diego brings more on the table than whole team today bar the defenders 

It's very obvious the starting XI needs few changes in the long-run:

1) Better wingbacks. It would be a whole new team had we spent 100 million on two classy wingbacks like City this summer.

2) Upgrade Fabregas. The spaniard needs to go. Sure, he's a great player against teams who know nothing about pressing or are simply too bad to even try but against teams like City he gets exposed over and over again. A player in the mould of Modric or Verratti would transform our midfield both offensively and defensively

3) Why is Cahill still playing? There are four great centrebacks in this team and Gary isn't one of them...

This team is still great against teams outside the top-5 and 80+ points in the league is still a realistic scenario. However, against top teams the same problems will continue to exist until some personnel changes on the pitch will take place.