We need English Players

Chelsea?

I'm not from/in England but my God Cahill is really the only English player we have. Really wanted Ox due to this as he was actually starter quality but fair play to him for fighting to be a CM. think we need to pay the premiums for Drinkwater and Barkley now. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

With the captain they were two, now only one.
But the only English player I readily approve of now is Leicester's Vardy - from among those discussed for a transfer.
Maybe some others will prove useful -if a transfer is concluded- but I don't know, so I cannot agree with you.

Those who want English players just because they are English will make CFC a side of losers.
If all the premier teams do the same but the whole of Europe does n't follow, then no English team will progress in European competitions beyond August.
If all of Europe goes back in time and players of foreign nationality are not allowed it's very bad for the players freedom of movement but it will make football more interesting.
Back in the fifties I think it was only the Italians and the Spaniards who allowed foreign players and the Portuguese considered Brazilians as automatically qualifying for Portuguese citizenship (Brazil belonged to Portugal in the old days). There were many cheats too being done. Also in 1956 the Hungarians Pushkas and Kubala became Spanish out of honour, after they defected from the Hungarian communist regime.

6 hours ago, cosmicway said:

With the captain they were two, now only one.
But the only English player I readily approve of now is Leicester's Vardy - from among those discussed for a transfer.
Maybe some others will prove useful -if a transfer is concluded- but I don't know, so I cannot agree with you.

Those who want English players just because they are English will make CFC a side of losers.
If all the premier teams do the same but the whole of Europe does n't follow, then no English team will progress in European competitions beyond August.
If all of Europe goes back in time and players of foreign nationality are not allowed it's very bad for the players freedom of movement but it will make football more interesting.
Back in the fifties I think it was only the Italians and the Spaniards who allowed foreign players and the Portuguese considered Brazilians as automatically qualifying for Portuguese citizenship (Brazil belonged to Portugal in the old days). There were many cheats too being done. Also in 1956 the Hungarians Pushkas and Kubala became Spanish out of honour, after they defected from the Hungarian communist regime.

Not many of the current England squad would get in Chelsea team  2 or 3 at the most?! Yeah i think our system/foundation was/is over the years to present so far behind in quality,is 1 of the reasons why most of our English players our only getting close to the 1st team now and as Conte has been quoted on numerous times that if they are young and good enough to play for Cfc they will get a chance to play ,  2bh players like Ruben in the current mess of our squad(size) should have been kept this season.

City: Walker, Stones, Sterling, Delph, Adarabioyo, Foden

United: Jones, Smalling, Lingard, Carrick, Young, Rashford, Shaw, Tuanzebe, Wilson

Tottenham: Trippier, Rose, Kane, Dier, Alli, Winks, Walker-Peters

Arsenal: Gibbs, Wilshere, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Holding, Chambers, Welbeck, Maitland-Niles, Akpom

Liverpool: Clyne, Milner, Gomez, Henderson, Sturridge, Lallana, Brannagan, Ings, Solanke, Flanagan, Kent, Ejaria, Alexander-Arnold

Chelsea: Cahill, Tomori

Yikes

17 minutes ago, kmk108 said:

City: Walker, Stones, Sterling, Delph, Adarabioyo, Foden

United: Jones, Smalling, Lingard, Carrick, Young, Rashford, Shaw, Tuanzebe, Wilson

Tottenham: Trippier, Rose, Kane, Dier, Alli, Winks, Walker-Peters

Arsenal: Gibbs, Wilshere, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Holding, Chambers, Welbeck, Maitland-Niles, Akpom

Liverpool: Clyne, Milner, Gomez, Henderson, Sturridge, Lallana, Brannagan, Ings, Solanke, Flanagan, Kent, Ejaria, Alexander-Arnold

Chelsea: Cahill, Tomori

Yikes

But how many would play for CFC, imho 2 or 3, pretty sad when you think only 2 or 3 can get in a club side and the size of England, but then we are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen ,or so the chant goes

33 minutes ago, mccg said:

But how many would play for CFC, imho 2 or 3, pretty sad when you think only 2 or 3 can get in a club side and the size of England, but then we are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen ,or so the chant goes

Out of those players, I would take about half of them. No, not all of them are starting quality, but they're still players that could make an impact.

Are you seriously complaining we don't have enough English players?

If we are aiming to be Arsenal or Liverpool, than yeah we need more. But if you want to compete with big teams such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern...How many English players those teams have? 

15 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Are you seriously complaining we don't have enough English players?

If we are aiming to be Arsenal or Liverpool, than yeah we need more. But if you want to compete with big teams such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern...How many English players those teams have? 

I wouldn't expect them to have many English players since they're not an English club and English players tend to stand in the Premier League.

Real have 11 Spanish players

Barcelona have 9 Spanish players

Atletico have 6 Spanish players

Bayern have 17 German players

Dortmund have 13 German players

Juventus have 10 Italian players

We're the outlier. Nearly every top-level club in Europe has a handful of players from their country. And it's not just Arsenal and Liverpool in England that have more than we do. I'm guessing we're the club with the least amount of English players.

If there was any world class English player out there, those clubs were after him. But there isn't. That's why they are all at class C- clubs in England. Can you imagine Real Madrid going after Drinkwater, Barkley or Ox? It has nothing to do with their desire to stay in England.

Juventus has elite Italian players, Barcelona and Real Madrid have Spanish players that won every possible trophy with their national team for 6~ straight years. Bayern and Dortmund have current world champions players. Can you seriously compare?

The best Englishman out there won't make it at any class A club, because he is not good enough. Simple as that.

The sh*t of it is to watch football from some formerly glorious countries.
In the Argentine empty terraces, they have some Greek league players of ten years ago, Scocco-Beluchi (!)-Blanco. Their teams cannot string two passes together.
Nacho Scocco who also played for Sunderland for a while, was just a notch below the level of their national team, but that was ten years ago.