Ethan Ampadu

Blusan Alamb

On 26.06.2018 at 6:28 PM, Unionjack said:

We was doing well keeping Happy on site to do his training but his injuy put the kaibosh on that. I hope it doesn't mean the same for Ampadu. Hes another good prospect for a long career with us if we play it right.

But with the amount of defenders we have and lack of creativity in CM we should keep him there if poss I think.

what?

On 26/06/2018 at 0:58 PM, akgw13 said:

Is it absolutely crazy that I think he can do a job in that holding midfielder role for Sarri? Jorginho was the first choice but Diawara did a nice job when he filled in, Ampadu has a great passing range, a extremely tough tackle and a cool head. I always envisioned a Julian Weigl-esque role for him, We could very well loan him out but I am so tempted to keep him and have him learn/develop with the team in this roll.

What a special player we have got with him, my goodness.

I’m not sure why so many are obsessed with him playing DM. He looked out of his depth/nothing special when he played there for our first team, and actually looked like a good talent when he was later deployed at CB for the rest of his appearances. He played Cb for Exeter. He played CB for our youth team. Strengths for me lie in his defensive skills, nothing that special about him on the ball.

25 minutes ago, ja1 said:

I’m not sure why so many are obsessed with him playing DM. He looked out of his depth/nothing special when he played there for our first team, and actually looked like a good talent when he was later deployed at CB for the rest of his appearances. He played Cb for Exeter. He played CB for our youth team. Strengths for me lie in his defensive skills, nothing that special about him on the ball.

Because he is primarily a DM. He played DM at exeter, He played Midfield for us against everton in the EFL cup and a few other cameos. He did play CB for our youth team, and can certainly play CB as he showed by playing in our 3 at the back. 

He showed a good passing range by pinging some long balls when he played for us and as a CB for the youth team. I think Ampadu could easily play DM in a system that requires it, similar to Christensen. They are both commanding, smooth football players. Lets remember this boy is 17 getting minutes for Chelsea first team and not looking entirely out of place.

On 26/06/2018 at 0:58 PM, akgw13 said:

Is it absolutely crazy that I think he can do a job in that holding midfielder role for Sarri? Jorginho was the first choice but Diawara did a nice job when he filled in, Ampadu has a great passing range, a extremely tough tackle and a cool head. I always envisioned a Julian Weigl-esque role for him, We could very well loan him out but I am so tempted to keep him and have him learn/develop with the team in this roll.

Ampadu’s passing range is overrated. Not an elite passer/doesn’t have elite vision. Decent passer but not good enough to play the Jorginho role. Sarri’s DM is usually technically gifted. Even Diawara is pretty good technically. 

14 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Ampadu’s passing range is overrated. Not an elite passer/doesn’t have elite vision. Decent passer but not good enough to play the Jorginho role. Sarri’s DM is usually technically gifted. Even Diawara is pretty good technically. 

I never said he would play it the exact way Jorginho does, Diawara has a similar passing range or at least not one that is materially better than Ampadu. I must confess I am thinking of what Ampadu will/might be in a couple years when he develops more, perhaps i am letting that cloud my judgement. I also don't expect him to play a massive role for the team, just exciting to think about what he could be molded to be. We will see where Sarri puts him if he stays around. 

23 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Never ever seen a 17 year old have elite passing or vision (most of the top class talents even don’t have that, they have the picture but “elite level” stuff is a progression which can only be developed by playing at the elite or highest level). He has the right tools to be a good player and he’s already shown in limited time here he is more than adept to be a DM if needed to be, so don’t see why not having elite passing or vision at 17 years old has anything to do with it, who at 17 actually has that? Even then Jorginho right now is a class player but he looked like a beyond average player until he started working with Sarri. Even then he needed time to break into the Napoli team. Nothing is impossible. Diawara is a great talent too but he has had the chance to develop that ability by playing lots of games at the top level in Italy. Ampdu with regular minutes and also in a Sarri team where the guy on the ball can have at least 3 or 4 options can develop and improve that passing and vision. Definitely. It probably won’t happen because I think Sarri will have his own ideas and quite possibly Kante is more than good enough to play as a pivot in a 3 man MF.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Never ever seen a 17 year old have elite passing or vision (most of the top class talents even don’t have that, they have the picture but “elite level” stuff is a progression which can only be developed by playing at the elite or highest level). He has the right tools to be a good player and he’s already shown in limited time here he is more than adept to be a DM if needed to be, so don’t see why not having elite passing or vision at 17 years old has anything to do with it, who at 17 actually has that? Even then Jorginho right now is a class player but he looked like a beyond average player until he started working with Sarri. Even then he needed time to break into the Napoli team. Nothing is impossible. Diawara is a great talent too but he has had the chance to develop that ability by playing lots of games at the top level in Italy. Ampdu with regular minutes and also in a Sarri team where the guy on the ball can have at least 3 or 4 options can develop and improve that passing and vision. Definitely. It probably won’t happen because I think Sarri will have his own ideas and quite possibly Kante is more than good enough to play as a pivot in a 3 man MF.

Have a look at Billy Gilmour in our academy pal. 

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Talented, but hardly anything elite about it for now. 

Elite is top level of play, Billy isnt even senior level, nevermind top tier of senior level football.

As long these kids dont show at very best, they are only elite talents. Being elite player with elite skills is whole different world.

Dont get me wrong, Billy is good talent, but his passing would be nothing special if you throw him in our first 11 right now.

In general, I always found quality passing and vision key is experience. There must be talent sure, but experience plays all the mental part and for right pass, its all in your head. To time it right, to predict movement etc etc. Execution depends on talent, but idea is all in the head. 

These 17-18 year olds have no elite passing or ability to control midfield for a top club, because mentality is huge part and most are not ready for it.

14 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Talented, but hardly anything elite about it for now. 

Elite is top level of play, Billy isnt even senior level, nevermind top tier of senior level football.

As long these kids dont show at very best, they are only elite talents. Being elite player with elite skills is whole different world.

Dont get me wrong, Billy is good talent, but his passing would be nothing special if you throw him in our first 11 right now.

In general, I always found quality passing and vision key is experience. There must be talent sure, but experience plays all the mental part and for right pass, its all in your head. To time it right, to predict movement etc etc. Execution depends on talent, but idea is all in the head. 

These 17-18 year olds have no elite passing or ability to control midfield for a top club, because mentality is huge part and most are not ready for it.

Didn’t say he was a certified elite talent, what I meant is that he’s a young player that could go on to have elite vision because he has the makings of it. Not Ampadu. 

On 28/06/2018 at 11:45 PM, The Skipper said:

Been aware of him since he started making waves at Rangers but again he’s a different player, more offensive minded. He’s extremely talented but to brand him with elite level talent or whatever attributes is just too much expectation already although as a Scotsman, I see him breaking the mould with the players we’ve recently produced but again expectation has been the downfall of many promising young players at Chelsea.

Still think with the right coaching Ampadu could improve and become a good DM. A Sarri team will always have passing options, options for players to play through the lines with passes, the system helps and it would improve players like Ampadu 10 fold. Whether or not he remains in the squad or plays regularly is a different story. I don’t think he lacks what it takes to play in that position. 

• 1 month later...

Just shows you that the extra training and commitment he put in pre season has paid off for him. Hes come a long way since his ankle injury and is looking good.

He has obviously got some more learning to do and I really don't know the best way to give it to him. Its normally by working side by side with a master of that position. Like Mount with Lamps.

He needs JT. here!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 7:58 AM, akgw13 said:

For those who wondered what Ampadu looks like in Midfield check him out in the wales game today. 1st half he has looked really good in the midfield role so far.