Ethan Ampadu

Blusan Alamb

His future is definitely at CB but looks like he can grow into a proper pro footballer. It’s whether he can refine his technique a bit more now. If so, has a future as a neat ball playing CB for me. Once he sorts out his passing technique (which he has scope to - has the vision, maybe not execution yet), he’ll probably make it here at least as a squad player. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mentality mentality mentality. That is why wherever he plays, he'll be one of the best players in the squad. He could even hold his own (albeit not be one of their best players) with Real Madrid IMO. They've certainly got equal-level players in his position, despite being 8 years older than him and in their prime too (I'm looking at you Casemiro).

• 4 weeks later...

You can read my comments about him earlier in this thread so this is by no means a reactionary post, but I simply don't see what this guy has to offer. Good for his age, but he simply doesn't show any signs that he'll be anywhere near Chelsea quality. Absolute zero parts of his game stands out. The only thing he seems to be semi decent at is finding space to receive the ball but that's no good if you don't have the awareness or passing ability to do something with it.

Constantly shouting at others when you've got your own problems (and not to mention he's only 17) doesn't look great either.  Reminds me of 2015 Ivanovic in that sense. I'm not usually critical with youngsters but I couldn't help but be baffled at the unjustified hype he is getting.

Well he made as many tackles in 10 mins as Azpilicueta+Rudiger did combined in 80. 

His quality is that at only 17, he commands the players around him & is positionally sound. Those are 2 incredibly rare and hard to refine traits.

Technique can always be refined; what if he retains his positional sense, leadership attitude, but adds improved ball distribution to his game? Wouldn't he be the model ball-playing central defender?

No matter current technical limitation, it can't be ignored, and he can't be called average, simply due to the fact there's no other 17 year olds we can think of (surely?) who act as confident without errors.

He is now where Rabiot at PSG was around roughly the same age. He'd be a dependable squad player, good enough for the XI of his national side. Simply useful & actually worth the space in the squad (eventually); especially considering he'll happily play both defence + midfield. It's like he's the cleanest, highest quality blank canvas. Sure, not a great painting yet - there's even paintings his age floating around - but they're sloppy. Whatever he becomes, even if a small finger painting, he will be consistent. 

I actually think he may have a bit of a dilemma. I know he's young but, technically, he's not showing enough to rate him as a future prospect for a top club in midfield. Potentially as an outright DM he could work but that's quite a limiting position, as in for example, it would mean he doesn't really fit in Chelsea's 3-4-3 unless we play 3-5-2. At youth level he plays CB, this position suits him more, but at only 5"9 (and as someone who so far plays middle CB in a 3-4-3) he just really needs a growth spurt to help him reach his potential at the highest level. Yes there have been short, successful defenders in past, but height will help increase his chances of not only being trusted but of just being a good CB, height helps. Within minutes against Huddersfield he was getting targeted aerially with his height.

55 minutes ago, ja1 said:

I actually think he may have a bit of a dilemma. I know he's young but, technically, he's not showing enough to rate him as a future prospect for a top club in midfield. Potentially as an outright DM he could work but that's quite a limiting position, as in for example, it would mean he doesn't really fit in Chelsea's 3-4-3 unless we play 3-5-2. At youth level he plays CB, this position suits him more, but at only 5"9 (and as someone who so far plays middle CB in a 3-4-3) he just really needs a growth spurt to help him reach his potential at the highest level. Yes there have been short, successful defenders in past, but height will help increase his chances of not only being trusted but of just being a good CB, height helps. Within minutes against Huddersfield he was getting targeted aerially with his height.

I thought he was a bit taller? Where did you get his height from if I may ask? 

Neither myself or anybody has said or even insinuated that Ampadu should be starting for Chelsea. Nobody's said he's good enough to play. All I've said, is he stands out head-and-shoulders above the rest of his age group when it comes to leadership qualities, and those qualities will ensure that he's always a capable, consistent player no matter where he ends up. Why are there so many posts on the contrary:lol:

36 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

I thought he was a bit taller? Where did you get his height from if I may ask? 

A lot of places say he's 6"0..I think it's a mistake that happens commonly with footballers, especially young ones, and he's listed as an incorrect height. When he first came to Chelsea the reports were that he's 5"9 and watching him play he looks about that tall. https://talksport.com/football/ethan-ampadu-profile-record-breaking-teenager-who-has-signed-premier-league-champions?amp

Fears alleviated, he looked fine at CB, yellow at the start aside. I think I'm wrong about his height, maybe 5"11? Not as short as 5"9, and didn't struggle aerially, though Bournemouth are a short side. Looks a good prospect as CB, much better than (I feel like I can say it now) pretty underwhelming performances as CM.

7 minutes ago, ja1 said:

Fears alleviated, he looked fine at CB, yellow at the start aside. I think I'm wrong about his height, maybe 5"11? Not as short as 5"9, and didn't struggle aerially, though Bournemouth are a short side. Looks a good prospect as CB, much better than (I feel like I can say it now) pretty underwhelming performances as CM.

If im not mistaken now Luiz has been dropped we only really have 4 tall regular starters (im judging tall based on Mourinho's comments on needing about 6 players of a certain height) which are Alonso, Morata, Baka and whoever starts out of Cahill and Rudi. Despite that tho we are seldom caught cold on set pieces.