Chelsea 2-3 Bayern Munich

Jase

1 hour ago, Tautvix said:

To say we need more players because we have a very small and limited squad is not overreacting, it's making a point which is fact.

Making a point rationally is not overeacting.

People moaning acting like the world will end after losing a freindly to Bayern or say  "the board are sleeping" 4 days after we smash our transfer record is ridiculous, overreaction isn't actually a strong enough word.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, geneviere said:

I am not so sure if Bayern is ahead in the preparation. Only Müller, Ribery, Coman, Bernat, Martinez (who is out the next 4 months) and Hummels started July 1 mainly together with some U19 kids (on the Asia tour it is some U21s even if most of them played U19 or even U17 last season). And the first tests on the country were played with 3 professionals... 

Ribery was injured or rested the first days - Martinez the same - most of the others of today started training July 10th or even later. Sanches started with the Asia tour - James about July 15th.

Because of muscle problems Friedl - a young Austrian that played U19 last season - started as left full back. The goalkeeper of the first half Starke is 36 and actually retired with Alonso and Lahm after last season - but because of injuries keeps himself fit. The goalkeeper of the second half is the new third keeper Früchtl, who just turned 17. Remember the name - if he has the patience he will be Neuer's successor - he is training with the pros since about 2 years. 

Our midfield - Tolisso and Sanches played together the first time today. Tolisso seems to be a steal from everything I have seen from him until now. Sanches looked a lot better as he looked before for us. 

I was a little afraid if the youngsters would be able to hold the results - all of them just have U19 or Regionalliga (with the U23 - it is German 4 legs 4th league) experience. But in difference to the match against Arsenal when we wasted a lot of chances and at the end they caught the 1:1 in overtime it held. 

Do your players have so many marketing dates every day, too? It is not just Adidas that likes to show of Alaba, James and Müller everywhere but the other big German marketing partners, too - like Siemens, Paulaner or DHL, that want to show off. 

Even taking all those into account, Bayern are still ahead in their pre-season. They started on July 1 and yesterday's match was their 7th! Chelsea started on July 10 and played only their 3rd pre-season game last night. But mind you, I didn't and am not using this as an excuse for the loss because the issues against Bayern were also apparent against the big teams last season. Even if we were at full fitness, I believe we'll still see the same problems.

I just think the ease with which Bayern carved through us repeatedly was a bit concerning. Without even exaggerating, they made both Moses and Alonso look like scrubs. Moses couldn't get past their RB whose name I've never even heard before today and Alonso was utterly hopeless defensively. He got run past as though he wasn't there multiple times.

And then there's the biggest concern for me until Bakayoko gets fit which is Cesc and Kante. It looked like there was a 50 yard gap between our midfield and defense at times. I think I can recall 3 times when a Bayern player picked the ball up at halfway and ran unopposed all the way to our box. Against the small teams in the league that pairing will do fine. But in our first 3 matches we have Everton and Spuds who have good/great quality and athleticism in their midfields. I can see us really struggling with that midfield against those sorts of sides.

We still have a decent amount of time to just go all out and get a pair of top quality wing backs in. Just pay whatever it takes to get Alex Sandro. Both our main rivals in Manchester just pay whatever it takes to sign a player they feel they must have. We need to do this. We splashed out on Morata so we know the club can pay a massive fee.

I feel like we're so close to having a team that can compete with anyone. Just 2-3 more top class signings and we're there. I pray that the board can see that. It would be super disappointing to enter the first few matches of the season with essentially the exact same XI as last season but with Morata instead of Costa and our best player injured for who knows how long.

I think we need to give the players time to get back in form, wait for return of Hazard, Bakayoko and others. 

The game shown us perfectly why we need to get one or two more players.

I rather lose every preseason game and get proper reinforcements than win every game when opposition is still on holidays, then start the season with same team only to face opponents that wont just let us win.

The overreaction on this forum...IMO result was perfect because two conclusions; we need to work harder and we need more players.

On side note, Tolisso; brilliant performance he is going to kill it for Bayern. Hopefuly Baka performs as he did for Monaco and we are set aswell.

Look, those Bayern goals look sillier every time I watch them.
In the first one all Tibot has to do is take a step to the right before committing himself and it becomes a piece of cake. He has all the time in the world to do that.
In the third one again his feet remain fixed on the ground. It's a back pass from Muller and it's made to look like it was a meteor from the sky.
Their second looks better, but again there is some loose marking in the area.
The defensive formation in the first half was also wrong - the Germans were left with acres of space.

13 hours ago, Special Juan said:

I've watched two of our games now and also listened to pundits and commentators on both games and have come to a conclusion...

When these players rest for a few weeks for summer and lay in the sun and relax or sail on the posh yachts jumping into the sea, how does it make sense that the commentators/fans say things like "His touch is poor he's been away on holiday and and needs bedding in" Is this for real? These players don't actually lose touch and ability to control a ball because of a 2 week holiday?

These pre season excuses get worse every year.

If a boxer, darts player etc doesn't do what he does day in day out for two months of course he (or she) will not be as sharp as they were it's where the phrase ring rusty comes from. Pre season are just glorified kick abouts it's just everything is over analysed these days I bet no one was picking the bones out of the Fulham friendly.

17 hours ago, communicate said:

It got nothing to do with Hazard.

You said when Michy and Morata played together you expect Michy to be the one who stay central.

I said it made more sense for Morata to drift wider more because he used to play on the wing for Juve hence He is more comfortable out wide

I know, I just think Morata is too good of a striker to play out wide. Also taller, more dangerous in air, and as I already mentioned - better poacher. Michy is still young and raw so he should not care if Conte plays him even at the right, like when we had Anelka out right and Drogba central. Michy is also good with his left foot, and he played a lot of time as a second striker with Diego Costa the main one, so why not?

Like this:

------------ Morata --------------

--------------------Michy---------

---Hazard------------------------

-------------------------------------

-------------midfield--------------

4 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

If a boxer, darts player etc doesn't do what he does day in day out for two months of course he (or she) will not be as sharp as they were it's where the phrase ring rusty comes from. Pre season are just glorified kick abouts it's just everything is over analysed these days I bet no one was picking the bones out of the Fulham friendly.

True.
The famous Hungarian Marton Boukovi (Olympiakos Piraeus), lost his first friendly by 4-0 to some lowly team.
Nobody remembers that of course.

Forget this game. Did anyone actually think this Chelsea team was on the same level as Bayern? That squad is packed with top and genuinely world-class players. Hazard is the only player who walks into that team (even at 34, an in form Ribery would breathe down his neck). And possibly Azpilicueta because of Lahm's retirement.

Defend in numbers and counter-attack, and you might be able to beat them 3 out of 10 times, but Chels isn't on that level. Can't blame the players or the coach for that.

12 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Forget this game. Did anyone actually think this Chelsea team was on the same level as Bayern? That squad is packed with top and genuinely world-class players. Hazard is the only player who walks into that team (even at 34, an in form Ribery would give him a hard time). And possibly Azpilicueta because of Lahm's retirement.

Defend in numbers and counter-attack, and you might be able to beat them 3 out of 10 times, but Chels isn't on that level. Can't blame the players or the coach for that.

I think Kante would too.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

I think Kante would too.

Mehh, I have my doubts about Kanté's impact outside of the PL. I'll have to see how he does next year in the CL and the World Cup after that.

13 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Mehh, I have my doubts about Kanté's impact outside the PL. I'll have to see how he does next year in the CL and the World Cup after that.

I don't think he'll do bad with us, but France is another story.