Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

1 hour ago, Rekin said:

Not that I could see, I dont frequent the forum as often as I used to so perhaps I missed it. Rudiger being injured and played out of position for a while could also make him a bit low-key compared to Morata. Overall reactions to Rudiger there seem to be a bit negative, calling him a limited player better suited for EL than PL. I guess we will see. 

Rüdiger is not injured, he's still on holiday but will join the squad in Singapore next week.

2 minutes ago, Jype said:

Rüdiger is not injured, he's still on holiday but will join the squad in Singapore next week.

He is also not playing out of position right now. I was talking about his stay in Roma, where he was injured and then played as a right back a lot. 

Just now, Rekin said:

He is also not playing out of position right now. I was talking about his stay in Roma, where he was injured and then played as a right back a lot. 

Ahh, right. Makes more sense now. 

10 hours ago, Robguima said:

She was certainly referring to footballing IQ, or lack thereof in Lukaku's game. Which is something I can agree with.

Elaborate? What is football IQ? Why is his bad? How does Lukaku lack that IQ? How does he have two of the top teams in the PL vying for him if he lacks football IQ?

It's a lazy argument imo. 

6 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Elaborate? What is football IQ? Why is his bad? How does Lukaku lack that IQ? How does he have two of the top teams in the PL vying for him if he lacks football IQ?

Knowing when to press , what runs to make, t. Henry has already shown this deficiency on sky sports

3 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

To me football IQ (which is a fluffy term, I agree) means a player with good decision-making on the pitch, including a good awareness of his surrounding. Some players just put their head down and make a break for it, others will hold the ball forever even though there are players in better positions. 
If we talk about advanced positions, then to me a smart player can quickly spot a run from another player (or see the correct run himself), knows when to try to take on a man versus just trying to hold it, knows how to gather the attention of the other team to allow space for others and similar actions like that. It basically comes down to a player that is able to achieve synergy with the rest of the team.
Some players have this "football IQ", but lack the technical skill to make the most of it (Costa to me, he was not stupid but was not a very polished player). Others dont have it and try too much to do everything themselves (my opinion of Lukaku).

I sometimes feel like Makelele is a good example of high football IQ. A player who didnt have to rely on strength to be an effective anchor but instead had an excellent awareness that allowed him to often anticipate where he needed to be. 

21 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

for me the easiest way to understand "low football IQ" I relate it to my main sport of basketball. When a player can see the game before it happens and react quicker, seeing the pass before the pass or understanding the angles needed more inherently. Lebron James is a maestro on the court cause he understands what everyone is doing and should be doing then can take advantage of the situation quicker and correctly more so than other players. Wayne Gretzky in hockey (i am canadian after all) had a telepathic understanding of his surroundings and where he needed to be. 

Maybe when people speak about Lukaku and a "low football IQ" maybe they just mean he doesnt seem to make the right inherent decision quick enough or accurately all the time? He has a load of physical ability and when the opportunity presents itself he puts the ball in the back of the net as good as anyone but he doesn't see the whole picture all the time which can slow down your reading of the game which in turn slows down how you play the game? 

I admit i don't understand the low football IQ arguement as well but I always relate it back to basketball and when I do that it helps me understand a little bit. There are always players who have everything but can never quite put it all together to get to the next level. 

Edit: @Rekin was writing mine as your reply tab came up, similar thoughts on the matter after i saw what you wrote when i posted haha

57 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

What is football IQ? Why is his bad? How does Lukaku lack that IQ?

Might be something to do with lack an ability to break the deadlock situation, looks no clue of what to do next in certain situation, frequently making stupid decision, wasting easy chances and shooting from a distance even know it has the slimmest chance to go in like frustrated player.

So glad we've got him, Moratta that is.

Originally I wanted Sanchez, fuck Lukaku not interested and certainly not for £90mil, hope mourinho see's what a fuck up he's made.

My other hope was if not sanchez the aguero....still i'm ok with Moratta.

Gutted we could'nt keep Diego, I still think he's one of the best strikers around.

regards: hes1ofus

1 hour ago, Rekin said:

To me football IQ (which is a fluffy term, I agree) means a player with good decision-making on the pitch, including a good awareness of his surrounding. Some players just put their head down and make a break for it, others will hold the ball forever even though there are players in better positions. 
If we talk about advanced positions, then to me a smart player can quickly spot a run from another player (or see the correct run himself), knows when to try to take on a man versus just trying to hold it, knows how to gather the attention of the other team to allow space for others and similar actions like that. It basically comes down to a player that is able to achieve synergy with the rest of the team.
Some players have this "football IQ", but lack the technical skill to make the most of it (Costa to me, he was not stupid but was not a very polished player). Others dont have it and try too much to do everything themselves (my opinion of Lukaku).

I sometimes feel like Makelele is a good example of high football IQ. A player who didnt have to rely on strength to be an effective anchor but instead had an excellent awareness that allowed him to often anticipate where he needed to be. 

This is what i was talking about a few pages back. This is ridiculous, you are equating decision making on the ball with general football IQ. Based on what you wrote, than you probably think Christino Ronaldo is not a player with high football IQ. That would be stupid because, off the ball Ronaldo is the smartest player in the planet. 

A player can struggle with on the ball decision making, and still be a smart player in other aspects. Also a player can be a great decision maker on the ball, and lack intelligence elsewhere. For example Ozil, very intelligent on the ball but other aspects he seriously the lacks intelligence.