Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

I will be 100x more relaxed once we close and announce a deal for Morata(or any striker really) I think Morata will be great for us in a lone roll or a partnership. Morata/Michy could play really well together or a 3 of Hazard/Morata/Pedro could be deadly with interchangeable movement and runs. Conte has made his affection known for Morata over the years so I think he will be happy (also the assurance of the deal made him sign his pay raise) This ends the nightmare of the striker search and now we can focus our energy on the rest of the summer! 

I'm not usually one to complain about price tags, but I just don't see him being an 80 mil player... 

When did Morata become some big ticket item that everyone wanted a piece of? Because that is what that price tag signifies. 

He has no presence on the field, isn't particularly great at anything and seems like a player that would be happy to float through a game and not really give a damn. He just comes off blas-e and nonchalant. 

I know I'm repeating what someone in this thread has already stated, but is he really any better than Michy? Michy proved to be quite good at link up, and he knows how to find the net, better than Morata in fact. 

I guess the only reason I'd be relieved is because we'd finally bolster up our squad a bit and have options. Michy and Morata going forward isn't too bad as both are young and quite versatile. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm not usually one to complain about price tags, but I just don't see him being an 80 mil player... 

When did Morata become some big ticket item that everyone wanted a piece of? Because that is what that price tag signifies. 

He has no presence on the field, isn't particularly great at anything and seems like a player that would be happy to float through a game and not really give a damn. He just comes off blas-e and nonchalant. 

I know I'm repeating what someone in this thread has already stated, but is he really any better than Michy? Michy proved to be quite good at link up, and he knows how to find the net, better than Morata in fact. 

I guess the only reason I'd be relieved is because we'd finally bolster up our squad a bit and have options. Michy and Morata going forward isn't too bad as both are young and quite versatile. 

Yep that pretty much sums it up for me too.. maybe the two of them playing together could be nice.

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

I respectfully disagree, there is a reason Juventus wanted him ask their fans. Madrid fans seem to love him. Mourinho/Allegri/Conte all rate him. He is a tall, fast, technically gifted striker. He has scored at an elite rate on a per minute of play basis and he is first choice for one of the best National teams in the world. He can use his head or either foot and is a tactically aware player who has shown he thrives in big game settings. 

Edit: Also just because he isn't wildly demonstrative on the field doesn't mean he is not intense or hard working. Players use their temperament differently, Some of the best players in the world look as you said "nonchalant" on the field

It also isnt Morata or Michy it can be Morata WITH Michy in a nice 2 striker system. 

Also regarding the price tag, I am not as concerned with transfer prices since the market is absolute madness its just the cost of doing business in the PL now with inflated budgets across the board. 

Edit #2: Here is an article from David Amoyal explaining some of Moratas Allure when he was thought to be Man United target

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/amoyal-46207

The kid has skills. Let's hope he hits the weight room and trains like a serious baller.  

Let's hope that Conte lights a fire under him for every match.

I'm going to forget about the pricetag and any reservations about him and just be thankful that Conte is apparently getting a striker that HE WANTS.

Probably no coincidence that Conte signed that contract just yesterday and now this is apparently happening. Somebody workin' overtime this week at CFC.

4 minutes ago, RoyalBlues said:

If it's really happening, think MU fans will be pissed, lol. Morata supposedly their first choice.

Now that they got Lukaku, all of them lot will jump on the "We never really wanted him" bandwagon.

12 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

Alvaro Morata to Chelsea is worth £70.8M plus add-ons, sixth most expensive signing of all time. Will earn £170K-a-week. (via @marca)

i confirm that, conte will take morata that is HIS FIRST CHOICE (the board prefer lukaku but conte says no)

9 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

I respectfully disagree, there is a reason Juventus wanted him ask their fans. Madrid fans seem to love him. Mourinho/Allegri/Conte all rate him. He is a tall, fast, technically gifted striker. He has scored at an elite rate on a per minute of play basis and he is first choice for one of the best National teams in the world. He can use his head or either foot and is a tactically aware player who has shown he thrives in big game settings. 

It also isnt Morata or Michy it can be Morata WITH Michy in a nice 2 striker system. 

Also regarding the price tag, I am not as concerned with transfer prices since the market is absolute madness its just the cost of doing business in the PL now with inflated budgets across the board. 

I have one very slight disagreement, and one somewhat larger one, with what you've said here.

The slight one is that, while I love the idea of Moara in a two, and of us playing 3-5-2 to accommodate it, I can't quite see Michy as a great fit. I'm a fan of Bats and believe he has more than he was able to show last year but I think there are better potential styles to dovetail with Morata. The larger disagreement relates to your point about the market price.

Buyers are a part of the market. Unless they pony up, inflated prices are just a sellers fantasy. As far as we can tell, no one has yet been willing to pay Madrid's asking price, so the going rate for a talented Madrid backup has not yet been set. If someone comes close to that valuation, I hope it is not us. We have to discipline ourselves, the entire Premier League has to exercise self-control. If we are handing such a large percentage of our annual revenues to secure the services of a player Madrid basically don't want, then we have no hope of ever closing the gap between them and us. If Madrid want a King's ransom, then let them sell us one of their kings.

10 minutes ago, RoyalBlues said:

If it's really happening, think MU fans will be pissed, lol. Morata supposedly their first choice.

Griezmann was their first choice, Morata second. But Lukaku was our first choice. I think there's no winner or loser at the moment. We will see in season time.

6 minutes ago, Antonio8 said:

i confirm that, conte will take morata that is HIS FIRST CHOICE (the board prefer lukaku but conte says no)

Well, it's not like we can sign Lukaku anymore.

Can't really say that I'm happy with Morata, but I will trust Conte no matter what.