Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

13 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Morata played for Juventus and Real - teams with real quality. Lukaku in the mean time has played for West Brom and Everton. The difference is basically one plays with quality team mates, the other doesn't. 

Lukaku hasn't been tested in the CL so you can't say for sure that he won't have Morata's impact either. 

Morata genuinely reminds me of like a Negredo or Soldado. Decent striker, nothing more. If we're going to pay £50/60m for a striker, I'd rather see it go to Lukaku tbh. Morata will never truly be worth that money - he's peaked as a player already, he won't improve much. What is there to improve on? He's already a well rounded player, but doesn't offer anything exceptional whatsoever. 

Lukaku has some unique traits about him at the very least, and is also in my opinion a much better presence than Morata. When both are on form, Lukaku is a much bigger threat, because he has a unique skill set that can trouble even the best of defenders. Morata does not possess anything unique. Genuinely think he's just another Soldado. 

Personally i prefer Morata over Lukaku  because Morata is a more well rounded striker then Lukaku. I feel a more well rounded striker would be better for our team.

In our system our striker has to both run the channels aswell as drop off and link up with the rest of the team. Morata is good at both those things while Lukaku is great at running the channels but poor when it comes to linking up with the rest of the team. 

I also feel that Morata would give us more stable performances (less peaks but less drops) while Lukaku would be more like Jekyll and Hyde great in one game but useless in the next one. 

4 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

Personally i prefer Morata over Lukaku  because Morata is a more well rounded striker then Lukaku. I feel a more well rounded striker would be better for our team.

In our system our striker has to both run the channels aswell as drop off and link up with the rest of the team. Morata is good at both those things while Lukaku is great at running the channels but poor when it comes to linking up with the rest of the team. 

I also feel that Morata would give us more stable performances (less peaks but less drops) while Lukaku would be more like Jekyll and Hyde great in one game but useless in the next one. 

I disagree. I used to think the same, but I think we need someone who's a physical presence up front. Morata has none of that. I understand that the issue with Lukaku is that he can have big highs and big lows, but I believe that as he matures his game these will happen less often, and he'd usually play at a high level. Lukaku's link up has improved a lot as well, it's on Costa's level imo, which will do.

I'm not saying Morata is a bad player btw, but for the ambitions I think we should have as a team, I think Lukaku, who still has room to grow, would be the better option. Morata has already peaked. I think Lukaku is ready to show what he can do when he's part of a top club.

I must say, he looks fucking electric and almost unstoppable in this video. I knew he was very skillful for a striker but in these highlights he could pass as an excellent wide player.

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

I disagree. I used to think the same, but I think we need someone who's a physical presence up front. Morata has none of that. I understand that the issue with Lukaku is that he can have big highs and big lows, but I believe that as he matures his game these will happen less often, and he'd usually play at a high level. Lukaku's link up has improved a lot as well, it's on Costa's level imo, which will do.

I'm not saying Morata is a bad player btw, but for the ambitions I think we should have as a team, I think Lukaku, who still has room to grow, would be the better option. Morata has already peaked. I think Lukaku is ready to show what he can do when he's part of a top club.

Problem for me is that his physical presence only counts when he's running with his face towards the opposition's goal. Back to goal he struggles because of his lacking link up ability.

I think people like to exaggerate how much he's improved. His link up play has gone from awful to somewhere between poor and average.

While i understand the logic of comparing Lukaku's link up play to Costa's.( i agree that their link up is somewhat on the same level)

The issue that i have with that is that Costa was able to make it work because of his tenacity and his really sharp off the ball movement.

Lukaku doesn't have either of those 2 things. 

Personally i feel like both Morata and Lukaku won't improve significantly anymore.

I think it's dangerous to buy Lukaku with the assumption that he'll improve or/and that he plays better just because he'd play for a top club.

There's absolutely nothing that would guarantee that.

Choose the striker that finishes more competently and who might develop a little bit of deception or elusiveness. Lukaku and Morata can improve, but I doubt Lukaku every becomes elusive or deceptive. Belotti... might be greater. Patrik Schick looks an interesting one also; so cool and accurate with his shots.

6 hours ago, Pizy said:

I must say, he looks fucking electric and almost unstoppable in this video. I knew he was very skillful for a striker but in these highlights he could pass as an excellent wide player.

The things Morata instantly improves over Costa is the linkup play, holdup play, dribbling and aerial threat. Hazard will love him. Morata still runs the channels like costa, is energetic and presses from the front like Conte likes.

The major problem is if he's as good a goalscoring striker as Costa or even lukaku. But his stats are good though. 

http://imgur.com/a/ACpjm[/img]

http://imgur.com/a/ACpjm

http://www.imgur.com/a/ACpjm

http://www.imgur.com/a/ACpjm[/img]

10 hours ago, Pizy said:

He's been fantastic for Real this year, has to be said. In and out of the team but still managed to make a big impact.

Morata and Lukaku as 2 up front won't be a bad idea.

Especially because I don't think Alexis Sanchez will join us. Costa will be out, Michy was never a Conte-buy so why we need 2 new strikers.

7 hours ago, quickpassnmove said:

Choose the striker that finishes more competently and who might develop a little bit of deception or elusiveness. Lukaku and Morata can improve, but I doubt Lukaku every becomes elusive or deceptive. Belotti... might be greater. Patrik Schick looks an interesting one also; so cool and accurate with his shots.

Obviously, like all clubs, we'll have run the rule over those players and for sure there are some interesting looking options on that list. All bar one in my opinion. Rom won't improve the areas in which we think he's lacking. His difficulties come down to talent and, long before now, long before he joined Chelsea indeed, his talent level was fixed. It cannot, and will not, change in future.

I offered this opinion about Rom's talent placing a firm ceiling on what he can do, shortly after he joined Chelsea. Some people disagreed, many very strongly, but I'm more convinced about this than I am about anything else in football. If it is possible to improve talent level just by practising, then why isn't everybody as good as Lionel Messi? There are some skills which can be polished, some physical attributes which can be honed, some techniques which can be mastered. Working on any of the things covered by those headings will help, but a player's talent is his talent and he's stuck with it.

Based on this belief I made three predictions, back in 2011, about how I thought things would go for Rom: -

• First, I said that his intelligence would enable him to understand his strengths, work on them, and therefore make a good contribution to his team.
  • Second, I said that no manager of a top level club would ever be satisfied with Rom as their main striker. He might be given a try, but the manager would soon be asking his club to go back to the market for an upgrade.
  • Third, I said that people would still be complaining about the same aspects of Rom's game when he was twenty-five and that many would forget they had claimed he would have resolved those issues by then. Those forgetful ones, who don't accept that talent is fixed, would still be arguing Rom can improve. To be fair, Rom is only twenty-three so is some way short of that deadline, but I'm certain it'll happen. In fact I'll go so far as to say, I know it will.

5 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

The major problem is if he's as good a goalscoring striker as Costa or even lukaku. But his [Morata's] stats are good though.

It's not about the striker who scores the most goals; it's about the striker whose contribution does the most to help his team win games.

Who can deny that Diego and Rom score lots of goals, but who will deny that, in each case, their limitations also cost their team many attacking opportunities? Who doubts that a ball played into the striker which then results in possession being lost unexpectedly, creates a potentially dangerous situation for the striker's team? It really, really ain't all about the goals an individual scores.

In any case, it turns out not to be something that is either/or. The players who have the superior technical skills that help them make better contributions to their team's pattern of play, also tend to score lots of goals anyway. Consider Suarez, consider Ibra, and consider too Morata's goals per minute ratio.

17 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It's not about the striker who scores the most goals; it's about the striker whose contribution does the most to help his team win games.

Who can deny that Diego and Rom score lots of goals, but who will deny that, in each case, their limitations also cost their team many attacking opportunities? Who doubts that a ball played into the striker which then results in possession being lost unexpectedly, creates a potentially dangerous situation for the striker's team? It really, really ain't all about the goals an individual scores.

In any case, it turns out not to be something that is either/or. The players who have the superior technical skills that help them make better contributions to their team's pattern of play, also tend to score lots of goals anyway. Consider Suarez, consider Ibra, and consider too Morata's goals per minute ratio.

You're right. A lot of people don't consider that when the striker constantly loses the ball, leads to counter attacks against his team, which in turn harms the team’s defence. And it hampers a team from mounting pressure on the opponent or taking advantage of counterattacks. Having a good technical striker is a more important factor of a team than a lot of people realize. 

Lukaku for whatever reason, seems to feel entitled. Entitled to be the leading striker, entitled to be in the team.

Morata seems grateful. He seems less driven by a passion to solely succeed and prove himself, and simply wants to play football with his team.

Lukaku doesn't act like he even enjoys the company of a single Everton teammate. Just shouts at the ones smaller than him or whoever's been at the club for less time, and ignores the guys with more experience. He's a god damn sociopath, and his act that charmed CFC supporters was so damn good.

2 hours ago, DYC. said:

He's been fantastic for Real this year, has to be said. In and out of the team but still managed to make a big impact.

He hasn't been fantastic, just good, what you'd expect from a good striker. Morata's scoring record this season is massively overrated. He comes on in garbage time when the team's already winning - rarely does Zizou bring him on over someone like Isco or James, Asensio or even Vazquez to change the game. Here is a breakdown of his 15 league goals this season:

Morata’s La Liga goals:
4 vs Leganes
2 vs Depor & Granada
1 vs Celta, Athletic, Alaves, Sociedad, Espanyol, Villarreal, Sporting

All quite average, mostly coming on against them in the last 30 minutes of the game when the game is stretched and legs are tired. 

People really want to pay £60m for a guy that hasn't yet reached 50 career league goals. Lukaku is the better striker for me, especially in this system. I'm truly interested to see what he can do when he's the starting 9 at a top club, because I think in a system like Conte's he could easily explode and score 30+ consistently. 

33 minutes ago, Leif said:

Lukaku for whatever reason, seems to feel entitled. Entitled to be the leading striker, entitled to be in the team.

Morata seems grateful. He seems less driven by a passion to solely succeed and prove himself, and simply wants to play football with his team.

Lukaku doesn't act like he even enjoys the company of a single Everton teammate. Just shouts at the ones smaller than him or whoever's been at the club for less time, and ignores the guys with more experience. He's a god damn sociopath, and his act that charmed CFC supporters was so damn good.

In what way does he feel entitled? He left Chelsea, proved he could be a top goalscorer in the league, and worked his behind off to get to that point. That seems like the exact opposite to me. 

Morata on the other hand seems to be the one complaining about minutes... 

Am I missing something? 

He knows he won't be at the club next season, so him wrapping it up a little is to be expected. He needs to stay fit and healthy so he can get to where he wants to. What exactly is the big deal? I get some of you don't like him for absolutely no reason whatsoever, probably more due to the fact he was here and left, and apparently didn't want to prove himself (when in fact he ended up doing just that by leaving), but some of the psychological reading into this stance, swagger, walk, work ethic needs to stop. He is 23 and the best scorer in England. All you need to know. 

If you're a teenager

And you play for one of the best clubs in the world

And leave due to not enough game time

You are both arrogant & acting entitled. He may have all the belief in the world, but he proved - nothing - positive with us, and yet continued to speak out against our club, its policy, our coach, even after we'd moved on and he clearly hadn't.

How could you ever want that sort of energy here? That contrived, 'say what makes people support me, but not speak my true mind' energy? Morata's real. He states when asked that he'd like a lot more game time, and yet even if that request isn't fulfilled, he doesn't badmouth anyone. He doesn't shimmy his way out of the club. He's loyal, like Lukaku could've been, and clearly isn't. Watch him abandon Everton who've let him make a real name for himself, right after he abandoned the club which brought him over in the first place and gave him a chance.

Imagine believing Chelsea was truly the club he supported, and that as a teenager, he'd have the head on his shoulders to think 'Ok, I'm going to leave this club to prove myself and come back.' Nah. He stopped supporting us the moment he realised he wasn't getting games for us. He doesn't even post on social media about our successes, our potential league win, etc, when every other ex-player of a club from Arsenal players to United, Madrid, Juve, all get online and share joy for their ex-clubs, even if they're now with a rival. We even had posts from Mata while at United, Ramires once he'd moved, Mikel, Essien, loads of players, because they actually give a shit about the club, which this cretin doesn't. He supports Chelsea on the same level that I've a casual interest in Roma, and hope they win but don't really give a shit when they lose.

Not an adult, not a leader, and he'll never be the player to elevate an already top team. Top teams already have everything he offers. Top teams and coaches value mentality. He brings no positive mentality other than cockiness, which isn't confidence, or he would've remained silent about us since leaving, and silent about 'next season' etc. all the while with Everton. 

"When you look through rose coloured glasses, all the red flags just look like flags." Well, if the blue glasses came off, the alarming amount of red flags surrounding Lukaku would show.

Finally, why are no other top teams interested?

Lukaku's good enough for Tottenham, Liverpool & Arsenal, when he's at his best, which is only 60% of a season so far. Dortmund & Roma too. But he's nowhere near good enough for any Chelsea team since Roman; nowhere near good enough for any of the respectable United teams, Madrid teams, Barcelona teams. In fact, the latter 2 would burst a gut from laughing at the idea of having him.