test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Skipper

29. Álvaro Morata

Started by The Skipper,

2,249 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

In terms of where most people on here want the club to go, with a vibrant playing style and a less defensive minded manager, to get rid of Morata would be insane. Like you said if you cannot see his talent, you are blind. This season will help his development and pre-season he'll come back and be a different player for this bad experience. Just like his first quarter of the season at Juventus where he struggled to get a lot of minutes or any solid sort of form he eventually came good from it and I wouldnt be surprised if the same was to happen here. To have scored 20+ goals for Madrid as a sub more or less last season is an impressive return, he has got the right attributes to succeed here and was doing so in the first half of the season. 

My problem with Morata is that whilst he is a good footballer, he seems to lack that killer striker mentality guys like Costa and Drogba (who are arguably worse footballers on pure talent) had, which is what ultimately makes or breaks a top striker imo. Finishing wise he seems to be extremely average. As a striker, finishing is extremely important. He has one goal in the PL in 2018. People have a right to be reserved about him. 

Mufassir08, Amblève. and 11Drogba like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

Would only sell if we can get a truly good replacement. 

Icardi has a nice little 97m release clause in his contract. He has got that killer mentality in spades as well whilst not being technically as good as Alvaro.

DYC. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mufassir08 said:

Icardi has a nice little 97m release clause in his contract. He has got that killer mentality in spades as well whilst not being technically as good as Alvaro.

Think it might work in Sarri’s system tbh if we got him as the next manager for example. If we can sell Morata for let’s say 75m, I’d consider it can’t lie. 

On Morata - if he’s itching for a move back to Italy instead of wanting to stay here; his head ain’t here - he’s not going to look forward to being here next season, and when mentality is the biggest question about him atm... Will he put in that extra effort? Or will he continue to sulk even further next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tomo said:

If Morata goes and we get Sarri we should do everything possible to make that Martial/Willian swap happen. Martial, Hazard and (assuming we don't get a RW) Pedro under Sarri's management would be something to behold.

100% This. 

I'm not too bothered if Morata stays or goes to be honest. Just know if Morata goes to Juventus it would be all his doing. We're not that ruthless to players to give up on them after 1 season. Chelsea officials knew Morata's transition would be difficult. 

However, like @Tomo has just said above. If Maurizio Sarri is our new manager, Martial under him would be unreal. Just look at the work Sarri has done with Mertens, a former LW who shares many of the same football qualities as Martial. A strikeforce of Martial/Batshuayi is more than solid enough. 

Hazard-Martial-Bailey under Sarri. Yeah, that's football heaven. 

 

Tomo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juventus want to re-sign Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata this summer, according to Sky sources.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11370038/juventus-want-to-re-sign-alvaro-morata-from-chelsea

if we do sell Morata who do you replace him with there's not many top strikers who would be available maybe Icardi could be available ?

11Drogba likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, the wes said:

Juventus want to re-sign Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata this summer, according to Sky sources.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11370038/juventus-want-to-re-sign-alvaro-morata-from-chelsea

if we do sell Morata who do you replace him with there's not many top strikers who would be available maybe Icardi could be available ?

Giroud is a far better player than Morata already according to a lot on here. So we don't need anyone. We've only had Giroud for a little bit of the season, so we are undoubtably set for great things with how we've turned things around with him. Should produce some exciting football too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, milka said:

Bye ! 

 

As I said before, if this is what it takes to get a much better striker who can score 20+ goals, then so be it and sell him.

There is no question that Morata is the biggest overall flop of the season, as every non-Chelsea supporter feared Morata would do something in the PL. He didn't. United fans that wanted him so bad over Lukaku, now saying they dodged the biggest bullet.

We need a major change in firepower. 

P.S. - I saw someone mentioning Cavani as him being in a similar position to Morata when he moved to PSG. Lol, he was not. Yes I'm aware Cavani missed a lot of sitters but before Cavani moved to PSG, he has a track record of 20+ goals with Napoli. So PSG knew he was capable of reaching that mark. And even then that sitter missing season, still broke Morata's goalscoring record. Cavani and Morata are not the same nor similar.

Unionjack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, the wes said:

Juventus want to re-sign Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata this summer, according to Sky sources.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11370038/juventus-want-to-re-sign-alvaro-morata-from-chelsea

if we do sell Morata who do you replace him with there's not many top strikers who would be available maybe Icardi could be available ?

I see we're back on ditching players and dreaming that the board will actually make quality signings. Imagine them selling Morata and then buying someone like Benteke! :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jason said:

I see we're back on ditching players and dreaming that the board will actually make quality signings. Imagine them selling Morata and then buying someone like Benteke! :lol: 

Its a bit of a stretch calling Benteke a striker !!!As for the board making quality signings, if it's Marina Granovskaia who is making the signings, whats she judging them on? Probably shoe size and nice arses :P:P

Unionjack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Skipper said:

My problem with Morata is that whilst he is a good footballer, he seems to lack that killer striker mentality guys like Costa and Drogba (who are arguably worse footballers on pure talent) had, which is what ultimately makes or breaks a top striker imo. Finishing wise he seems to be extremely average. As a striker, finishing is extremely important. He has one goal in the PL in 2018. People have a right to be reserved about him. 

True he lacks that killer instinct but that is gained through playing regularly and through taking chances along with training. He does get the chances, he manages to find himself in good positions a lot, which for me shows he is more than good enough, he just has to stick them away, its a shame hes only managed the 1 goal this year because although some of his performances have been dodgy some of them have not been. I think its just been a tough season. If we sell after one season, who would we replace him with? People keep mentioning Cavani but it wont happen. Griezmann? Wont happen. Bring Batshuayi back to be first choice? Wont happen. It was a big spend on Morata and I think he'll be a lot better next season but if he goes who do we actually sign to replace him? Not many strikers out there that are attainable at the sort of level everyone assumed Morata was last summer. Icardi maybe but honestly he will cost 80-100M easily. Who says he'd even want to play here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so torn, I don't want to give up on Morata but if the new coach wants someone else and we have a buyer it might happen? Personally if we get Sarri I think getting an ice cold killer like Icardi is best. That being said, lots of people want Icardi haha he is very expensive and comes with his own baggage. 

I think we have to wait and see who we bring in to Manage next. That hiring will dictate our transfer targets, especially the higher priced ones. I am assuming the board has already come up with a list we will 'monitor' and 'keep tabs on'

Rumours of Sarri wanting Higuain, I am similarly torn about offloading a young talent like Morata for an older striker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2018 at 1:36 PM, OneMoSalah said:

True he lacks that killer instinct but that is gained through playing regularly and through taking chances along with training. He does get the chances, he manages to find himself in good positions a lot, which for me shows he is more than good enough, he just has to stick them away, its a shame hes only managed the 1 goal this year because although some of his performances have been dodgy some of them have not been. I think its just been a tough season. If we sell after one season, who would we replace him with? People keep mentioning Cavani but it wont happen. Griezmann? Wont happen. Bring Batshuayi back to be first choice? Wont happen. It was a big spend on Morata and I think he'll be a lot better next season but if he goes who do we actually sign to replace him? Not many strikers out there that are attainable at the sort of level everyone assumed Morata was last summer. Icardi maybe but honestly he will cost 80-100M easily. Who says he'd even want to play here? 

Personally don’t think “killer instinct” is that coachable - you either have it or you don’t. Morata isn’t really that young for him to develop it either. Like I said before - I have my criticisms on Morata but wouldn’t sell unless we got in a top replacement, such as Icardi as you mentioned. If we could get a top striker like that in I wouldn’t mind selling him at all. Inter failed to qualify for the CL so who knows? Especially if we got a fellow Italian like Sarri in? 

Amblève. and Unionjack like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People cannot cling on to the "he has potential!!!" excuse with Morata. That's like me saying Benteke has potential or Doucouré has potential.

Let me tell you who are the potentials.

Anthony Martial has potential. Marcus Rashford has potential. Andy Robertson has potential. Kenedy has potential. Those are "the potentials". Not freaking Morata.

Morata's 25, not 20 or 19 years of age. As I said before, what we saw this season is the real Morata. He won't improve to the standard that we need him to be. The whole team would have to be on form before he can start going on form and that's not good enough. 

El P. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Personally don’t think “killer instinct” is that coachable - you either have it or you don’t. Morata isn’t really that young for him to develop it either. Like I said before - I have my criticisms on Morata but wouldn’t sell unless we got in a top replacement, such as Icardi as you mentioned. If we could get a top striker like that in I wouldn’t mind selling him at all. Inter failed to qualify for the CL so who knows? Especially if we got a fellow Italian like Sarri in? 

True perhaps but I think of Lampard as a MF player he was ice cold in front of goal, he repeatedly said about he'd do extra training etc too to improve that stuff, finishing and getting into goal scoring positions etc to a point where it became natural. Others just have it straight away but I don't think its a thing about age, I think you can improve things at any age as a footballer so I think for somebody like Morata who always seems to get repeated chances, can become lethal in front of goal, hes coming upto his peak years so he will improve regardless if he manages to follow the progression hes had in his career the last 3 or 4 years anyway so hopefully he can get that or even just work on his finishing. Although I think its also a confidence thing with him, I think first 3 months here he was playing very well, he scored a lot of our goals, looked confident but now he looks a bit sort of defeated if not for a better word. I honestly don't think Icardi would come here and be a major improvement on him either, hes a pretty good footballer who can still grow but we all said the same of Morata last summer so it just shows that it is not as easy as that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Personally don’t think “killer instinct” is that coachable - you either have it or you don’t. Morata isn’t really that young for him to develop it either. Like I said before - I have my criticisms on Morata but wouldn’t sell unless we got in a top replacement, such as Icardi as you mentioned. If we could get a top striker like that in I wouldn’t mind selling him at all. Inter failed to qualify for the CL so who knows? Especially if we got a fellow Italian like Sarri in? 

You've never said anything more true mate.

And forwards need it in bucketloads. Our problem now is ours dont. We need to seriously look at theit faults even tho we might have some emotional attachment to them

Chelsea as a team is bigger than individual players that dont contribute enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

True perhaps but I think of Lampard as a MF player he was ice cold in front of goal, he repeatedly said about he'd do extra training etc too to improve that stuff, finishing and getting into goal scoring positions etc to a point where it became natural. Others just have it straight away but I don't think its a thing about age, I think you can improve things at any age as a footballer so I think for somebody like Morata who always seems to get repeated chances, can become lethal in front of goal, hes coming upto his peak years so he will improve regardless if he manages to follow the progression hes had in his career the last 3 or 4 years anyway so hopefully he can get that or even just work on his finishing. Although I think its also a confidence thing with him, I think first 3 months here he was playing very well, he scored a lot of our goals, looked confident but now he looks a bit sort of defeated if not for a better word. I honestly don't think Icardi would come here and be a major improvement on him either, hes a pretty good footballer who can still grow but we all said the same of Morata last summer so it just shows that it is not as easy as that.

Again, here’s where mentality comes into it and Morata doesn’t seem to have that mentality to me. He isn’t that sort of guy that will stay behind and do those extra hours. It’s a gamble - do we stick with him and hope that his mentality changes, that he’s more hungry to succeed here? Or do we cut out losses soon (either this season or next if he doesn’t provide the goods) and try our hand with someone else like Icardi? I’m leaning towards the latter more. 

On Icardi - off the ball movement and finishing is immense, better than Morata’s. We lose out on technical ability a bit but still, since when has that stopped a top CFC striker as long as he’s hungry enough? Icardi just has that mentality already, and in the right system he could easily grab 30/40 a season. 

Mufassir08 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.