Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

3 hours ago, the wes said:

European football journalist Mina Rzouki on BBC Radio 5 live

If you offered me the choice between Morata and Lukaku, I wouldn't even think about it.

I would pay £20m or £30m more if I had to and I would bring in Morata.

That is because I would always prefer an intelligent player in my team. Even if he doesn't score as many goals, even if he doesn't do whatever he needs to.

If he is more intelligent then he can be moulded quicker, he can do what he needs to do. And Morata has Champions League experience. He was second top scorer for Real Madrid despite not starting.

He has done it at Juventus and he has done it at Real Madrid.

He understands, he has the pace, he is intelligent, he links up play, he can be a counter-attacking threat.

Her use of the word intelligent strikes me as careless and potentially misleading. I think I get what she means but she needs to describe it more accurately.

Rom is in fact a very bright guy, in IQ terms. Indeed it's that intelligence which has enabled him to make the most of his attributes despite some clear limitations. He can learn just as quickly as the next striker but he lacks the technical tools to put the lessons into practice.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Happy with this, I not just rate Morata but he's a player Conte obviously likes and wanted and it's vital we back him.

The only real question mark is can he score enough goals. I don't think there's any question the ability, temperament and potential is there for that and hopefully being the main man under a manager that fully trusts him will bring the best out of him. He seems motivated and raring to come and prove himself.

Sometimes things just click and become the right fit and I do have the feeling this is the case here.

Well, I think the real question is not if he can score enough goals, but rather if he can score the goals. I think Morata can easily score +15 goals in the league this season (unless a repeat of 14/15 occurs).

Consider this: Diego Costa scored 20 goals in the league last season which isn't 'that' impressive for a side that won the league. However, no-one can deny the huge effect he had on our success. A lot of the goals he scored either brought us the victory (WBA) or sparked a comeback (City away). Even before Costa we had Drogba who didn't score a lot of goals per se but he scored important goals and was always a handful for the opponent's defenders.

This is what will be expected of Morata. And thankfully, he's shown that he's very capable. He's scored goals against the likes of Bayern, City, Real Madrid, Barcelona which includes the CL final and Semi final, also multiple match winning goals in La Liga and CL last year. 

Besides that, Alvarito is someone who will always contribute positively to the team whether he scores or not. Wouldn't be surprised to see our other outfield players score a lot more goals this year.

In fact I'm expecting Eden to once again break his record goal tally in a season for us. He's a player that thrives on link up play, and this is the first time in his Chelsea career that he will play alongside a striker with great link up play and technique. He'll be feeding off the one-twos with the new Spanish man upfront.

1 minute ago, Hybrid Angel said:

Well, I think the real question is not if he can score enough goals, but rather if he can score the goals. I think Morata can easily score +15 goals in the league this season (unless a repeat of 14/15 occurs).

Consider this: Diego Costa scored 20 goals in the league last season which isn't 'that' impressive for a side that won the league. However, no-one can deny the huge effect he had on our success. A lot of the goals he scored either brought us the victory (WBA) or sparked a comeback (City away). Even before Costa we had Drogba who didn't score a lot of goals per say but he scored important goals and was always a handful for the opponent's defenders.

This is what will be expected of Morata. And thankfully, he's shown that he's very capable. He's scored goals against the likes of Bayern, City, Real Madrid, Barcelona which includes the CL final and Semi final, also multiple match winning goals in La Liga and CL last year. 

Besides that, Alvarito is someone who will always contribute positively to the team whether he scores or not. Wouldn't be surprised to see our other outfield players score a lot more goals this year.

In fact I'm expecting Eden to once again break his record goal tally in a season for us. He's a player that thrives on link up play, and this is the first time in his Chelsea career that he will play alongside a striker with great link up play and technique. He'll be feeding off the one-twos with the new Spanish man upfront.

The ability to link is huge and for me was the biggest worry with us buying Lukaku.

The players in behind - Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Fabregas and the wing backs will thrive off someone like Morata and having someone who can link the play so well will almost certainly add an extra few goals a season spread out amongst the team which lessens the burden on Morata.

I also didn't realise that his goal record for Spain was good last season too - 7 goals in 11 games I believe.

46 minutes ago, Despiadado.Maleante said:

My sources at the club told me Emanelo had to step in and take care of this. Makes sense that it happened.

More like Emenalo had to step out the way (thanks to Mourinho/ManUtd taking Lukaku), then Conte agreed a new contract with pay rise, and we signed Conte's preferred striker.

3 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Every Chelsea fan needs a "day's rest to recover."

Aye I was at work reading a lot and watching videos. 
Going to get a talk tomorrow as to why I was idle a lot! :D

51 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Her use of the word intelligent strikes me as careless and potentially misleading. I think I get what she means but she needs to describe it more accurately.

Rom is in fact a very bright guy, in IQ terms. Indeed it's that intelligence which has enabled him to make the most of his attributes despite some clear limitations. He can learn just as quickly as the next striker but he lacks the technical tools to put the lessons into practice.

Was going to say the same. She thinks Lukaku is dumb or something. Bloke can speak like 4 languages fluently. 

Pat Nevin: "I wrote a piece on the Chelsea website about three months ago. I asked the fans: 'Who would you like most as a centre-forward?'

"There were three names that came up. Number three was Lukaku, number two was [Alexis] Sanchez, and number one? Morata."

Fans Favourite

2 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Was going to say the same. She thinks Lukaku is dumb or something. Bloke can speak like 4 languages fluently. 

She was certainly referring to footballing IQ, or lack thereof in Lukaku's game. Which is something I can agree with.

20 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

James would have been a useless, overpriced cnut who cannot play effectively where we need new players, so forget him.

Over priced yes, but  I think if we doesn't gloat about how talented he is and just focus on his game then I think he would be good

She was certainly referring to footballing IQ, or lack thereof in Lukaku's game. Which is something I can agree with.

Ofc she was, what else could it be? It's appalling people think commentators are there to comment how smart as a person a player is. Don't how how people interpreted it any other way.

43 minutes ago, Robguima said:

She is still wrong, there is many aspects of the game. Such generalization is ridiculous. Lukaku is much more smarter player in the box and off the ball. Morata is better than him on the ball and outside of the box.

Generally fans with poor understanding of the game label a player lacking football IQ/intelligence based on one or few aspects of the game. For example Angel Di maria is a great example of such misunderstanding. He is not a great decision maker in the final third, so he is often labeled a player lacking intelligence. But if you you looked very closely of  his understanding from a tactical and positional sense you wouldn't think that. Also if you considered that ADM can play almost every position on the pitch and play that position really well you might think otherwise.