Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

In what way does he feel entitled? He left Chelsea, proved he could be a top goalscorer in the league, and worked his behind off to get to that point. That seems like the exact opposite to me. 

Morata on the other hand seems to be the one complaining about minutes... 

Am I missing something? 

He knows he won't be at the club next season, so him wrapping it up a little is to be expected. He needs to stay fit and healthy so he can get to where he wants to. What exactly is the big deal? I get some of you don't like him for absolutely no reason whatsoever, probably more due to the fact he was here and left, and apparently didn't want to prove himself (when in fact he ended up doing just that by leaving), but some of the psychological reading into this stance, swagger, walk, work ethic needs to stop. He is 23 and the best scorer in England. All you need to know. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/05/romelu-lukakus-on-pitch-row-ashley-williams-casts-doubt-everton/

Oh imagine he tells cahill to shut up and stop pointing his finger everywhere. 

Lukaku's pretty much Everton's most prolific ever player

Yet the majority of their supporters, at least the ones online, are saying only one thing (other than how cold-hot-cold and annoying he is) - not how much of a legend he is (nothing mentioned like that), not about the future, not about the now - they're all just eager to see how much money they can get for him. They'd rather get one big chunk of change for him than have him bang in 20 a season for another 10 years. Yeah, top striker that :cig:

In a similar vein, plenty of Juve fans want to see the back of Hig. He's good, sure, but goals aren't everything, and they know that the moment they dry up, they have a nothing player. 
Scoring goals as a striker is the minimum. So bravo to Lukaku for doing the most basic job he's supposed to do. That doesn't make him an attractive proposition to me though lol. It's like wanting to buy a goalkeeper because he jumps up high at corners. So should all of them :dunno:, and that 1 trait is barely going to define that player as worthy.

Other than score goals, what does Lukaku do? .... Stand there and use a lot of hand gestures; Sometimes pushes someone over with his shoulders.
Other than score goals, what does Morata do? .... Brings others into play; Dribbles like an above-average winger; Assists as much as any other forward in the team.
Neither go down easily, but only one of them loses the ball 50% of the time they're running with it.

How many times has Lukaku straight up disrespected the club he played for? Every single permanent club he's played for. 
Morata? Not once.

For all his talk, it's not like Lukaku's making more waves than Morata. Morata does everything properly, quietly. Lukaku does 9/10 things poorly and that includes handling himself as a growing man. It's almost too easy to see him and Balotelli becoming kindred spirits.

Michy would join, but he isn't as stupid, so he'd leave when things get too rowdy.

Also - Everton finished 6th the season before they signed Lukaku. They were a unit, an improving one at that. The moment they got Lukaku, goals came, chemistry went right out the window, and they've struggled to keep up any sort of building or improving since his arrival. Finishing position this season? 7th. Last season? 11th. That's with the teams around them being weaker this time round, too. A team sacrifices too much to try and compensate Lukaku's bad traits. 

Everton went from being a team, to relying on this 1 man, since that's what the 1 man needs, the entire team to play for him. Otherwise, there's no point in even having him. That's what we wouldn't do at Chelsea, and that's why he couldn't get a goal. It's what Everton are doing, hence him having a high amount of goals, and them likely going into shambles as soon as he leaves. Nothing to do with his supposed quality.

37 minutes ago, mashimaru161 said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/05/romelu-lukakus-on-pitch-row-ashley-williams-casts-doubt-everton/

Oh imagine he tells cahill to shut up and stop pointing his finger everywhere. 

Should I pull up all the videos of Costa going off on teammates? 

I won't bother posting about this stuff anymore, since most people on here are set in their ways when it comes to Lukaku. I've never seen such a polarising figure potentially joining the team. Hope he comes here and bangs in 30 a season though. 

Well, yes, because I'd love Costa to be gone. He's an idiot too. Both could be Tottenham's greatest modern day striker, I'm not saying they're Leeds United level. But neither could be that greatest modern striker for any league-winning team in Europe. Our past players have set a bar, and players simply have to match it or best it. Otherwise, you go backwards as a team. 
Lukaku shoots us back into shaky AVB days. I'd sooner bring back the Eto'o / Ba combo, because at least there's no chance of fans being letdown.

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

He hasn't been fantastic, just good, what you'd expect from a good striker. Morata's scoring record this season is massively overrated. He comes on in garbage time when the team's already winning - rarely does Zizou bring him on over someone like Isco or James, Asensio or even Vazquez to change the game. Here is a breakdown of his 15 league goals this season:

Morata’s La Liga goals:
4 vs Leganes
2 vs Depor & Granada
1 vs Celta, Athletic, Alaves, Sociedad, Espanyol, Villarreal, Sporting

All quite average, mostly coming on against them in the last 30 minutes of the game when the game is stretched and legs are tired. 

People really want to pay £60m for a guy that hasn't yet reached 50 career league goals. Lukaku is the better striker for me, especially in this system. I'm truly interested to see what he can do when he's the starting 9 at a top club, because I think in a system like Conte's he could easily explode and score 30+ consistently. 

Great information. Thank you.

Interesting thoughts in this and your earlier post about Lukaku too.

11 hours ago, The Skipper said:

He hasn't been fantastic, just good, what you'd expect from a good striker. Morata's scoring record this season is massively overrated. He comes on in garbage time when the team's already winning - rarely does Zizou bring him on over someone like Isco or James, Asensio or even Vazquez to change the game. Here is a breakdown of his 15 league goals this season:

Morata’s La Liga goals:
4 vs Leganes
2 vs Depor & Granada

All quite average, mostly coming on against them in the last 30 minutes of the game when the game is stretched and legs are tired. 

People really want to pay £60m for a guy that hasn't yet reached 50 career league goals. Lukaku is the better striker for me, especially in this system. I'm truly interested to see what he can do when he's the starting 9 at a top club, because I think in a system like Conte's he could easily explode and score 30+ consistently. 

He has. He's a squad player for Real and in that role, he's been fantastic. Whenever the manager needed him, he mostly delivered. And that's hard. When a player is in and out of the team, he's often desperate to impress (doing too much) and can't build a true connection with his team mates. The player could even suffer from a loss of confidence, which of course affects your form. Most 2nd choice strikers don't manage to make much of an impact in their deputy role.

Not to mention the fact he has often featured in a second string team under Zidane. So he's not playing with Kroos, Modric, Ronaldo etc. most of the time but with Asensio, Vasquez, Isco. Still a good team but not elite.

You say he scores or contributes in 'garbage time'. He's been called to start on 13 occasions (in La Liga) and scored 11 goals in those starts. So, no, he's scored mostly when he starts. He's come off the bench 11 times and scored 4 times in those sub appearances. Only one start in the CL (which was on the left wing) and 3 goals in 7 sub appearances. 15 goals in 1256 min (La Liga) is an average of 1,07 goals per 90 min. 3 goals in 166 min (CL) is 1,63 goals per 90 min. Again, if you have a second choice striker who does that for your team, he's been fantastic, I don't care what you say. You can't compare his record to strikers who start on a weekly basis but that's an impressive record regardless.

Want to pay? I want Belotti. Not Morata or Lukaku. But I do prefer Morata over Lukaku. Lukaku is not that guy for me. He'll score his goals but he won't lead his team to consistent success. That's how I see it anyway. What he offers overall just doesn't cut it for me. Greavsie put it perfectly in the first paragraph of his last post in this thread and that's what I've been trying to say.

But you'd think a 23-year-old future star forward who's made his intentions of wanting to leave so clear would have the very best clubs in world football fighting over him in the same fashion the likes of Dybala, Mbappé, Griezmann, Neymar etc. command interest.

9 minutes ago, DYC. said:

I want Belotti. Not Morata or Lukaku. But I do prefer Morata over Lukaku.

Exactly this for me.

9 minutes ago, DYC. said:

But you'd think a 23-year-old future star forward who's made his intentions of wanting to leave so clearly would have the very best clubs in world football fighting over him in the same fashion the likes of Dybala, Mbappé, Griezmann, Neymar etc. command interest.

This must mean something. It's clear that Rom expected to leave Everton last summer and expected to be able to choose from a number of top sides. Didn't happen. Maybe it was because of Everton's transfer fee demands, but maybe not.

Morata’s La Liga goals:
4 vs Leganes
2 vs Depor & Granada

Not true Skipper, several of his goals have been vital for Madrid in getting the 3 points.

Real-Celta 2-1 

Real-Athletic Bilbao 2-1

Real-Deportivo 3-2

Real-Espanyol 2-0 (Morata scored the first goal in the 33th minute. Real only scored the second in the 83th minute)

Villarreal-Real 2-3

Leganes-Real 2-4 (3 goals from Morata)

Sporting Gijon-Real 2-3 

That's 9 out of his 15 goals that were vital in getting Real the 3 points in 7 games.

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

Should I pull up all the videos of Costa going off on teammates? 

I won't bother posting about this stuff anymore, since most people on here are set in their ways when it comes to Lukaku. I've never seen such a polarising figure potentially joining the team. Hope he comes here and bangs in 30 a season though. 

What? Costa is a hot headed guy, he would yell at pedro or even conte when he's angry but he continue to fight for the team after that, never show an attitude "i'm too good to play and listen to you inferiors". I bet I'd find another article about his negative demeanor but I'm afraid I'm not that obessed about him.

another reason I don't rate him is his perfromance in Euro cup, is playing with the likes of hazard and de bryune considered good enough? Remind me how many goal did he scores?

if you like him so much you should watch him closely what he does when a team mate didn't pass a ball to him, does he bother to run back to defend, chase a loose ball, pressing oppositon defender? Because that's what conte require his striker to do, costa does when he's in the mood.

I'm not jose die hard fan but I'm with jose on this, nothing personal. Just feel he does not suite us for 100m.

Conte doesn't need a selfish goal machine like Cr7 what he wan is someone like benzema in his prime, willing to making run out wide, holding the ball, support Cr7 and well can score when he has the chance.

2 hours ago, DYC. said:

He has. He's a squad player for Real and in that role, he's been fantastic. Whenever the manager needed him, he mostly delivered. And that's hard. When a player is in and out of the team, he's often desperate to impress (doing too much) and can't build a true connection with his team mates. The player could even suffer from a loss of confidence, which of course affects your form. Most 2nd choice strikers don't manage to make much of an impact in their deputy role.

Not to mention the fact he has often featured in a second string team under Zidane. So he's not playing with Kroos, Modric, Ronaldo etc. most of the time but with Asensio, Vasquez, Isco. Still a good team but not elite.

You say he scores or contributes in 'garbage time'. He's been called to start on 13 occasions (in La Liga) and scored 11 goals in those starts. So, no, he's scored mostly when he starts. He's come off the bench 11 times and scored 4 times in those sub appearances. Only one start in the CL (which was on the left wing) and 3 goals in 7 sub appearances. 15 goals in 1256 min (La Liga) is an average of 1,07 goals per 90 min. 3 goals in 166 min (CL) is 1,63 goals per 90 min. Again, if you have a second choice striker who does that for your team, he's been fantastic, I don't care what you say. You can't compare his record to strikers who start on a weekly basis but that's an impressive record regardless.

Want to pay? I want Belotti. Not Morata or Lukaku. But I do prefer Morata over Lukaku. Lukaku is not that guy for me. He'll score his goals but he won't lead his team to consistent success. That's how I see it anyway. What he offers overall just doesn't cut it for me. Greavsie put it perfectly in his last post on this thread and that's what I've been trying to say.

But you'd think a 23-year-old future star forward who's made his intentions of wanting to leave so clear would have the very best clubs in world football fighting over him in the same fashion the likes of Dybala, Mbappé, Griezmann, Neymar etc. command interest.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I genuinely think any decent striker will prosper at Real, I don't think it's something incredible, in fact it's quite normal that Real Madrid's 2nd choice striker scores a decent amount goals, important ones here and there too. Real's 2nd string side is still an excellent team. Adebayor a few years ago at Real was pretty good coming off the bench and starting games here and there too - doesn't mean he's a top striker. What I'm trying to say is that his goals as second choice striker at Real Madrid don't mean that much - any good striker will thrive at Real. Another example? Javier Hernandez - plucked a few goals at Real too. Morata is better than both these guys, sure, but what I'm trying to get at is that you'd expect him to score against these teams he started against (admittedly, I was wrong on him scoring in garbage time). He's been good, I've said that already, but not fantastic. Now, if a second choice striker at Chelsea for example, pulled off those sort of numbers, with Chelsea's 2nd string side? Sure - now that's amazing.

My main point is that people are overstating the goals he's scored too much, with the reasons stated above. It's not enough for me to convince me that he's worth over 50m. The main thing that pushes Lukaku ahead of him for me is that I genuinely think Romelu just needs a better platform - at his best, he's more devastating than Morata. Can Chelsea provide that platform? If we spend well this summer, and taking into consideration Conte's system? Yes, I believe he can. 

2 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

Not true Skipper, several of his goals have been vital for Madrid in getting the 3 points.

Real-Celta 2-1 

Real-Athletic Bilbao 2-1

Real-Deportivo 3-2

Real-Espanyol 2-0 (Morata scored the first goal in the 33th minute. Real only scored the second in the 83th minute)

Villarreal-Real 2-3

Leganes-Real 2-4 (3 goals from Morata)

Sporting Gijon-Real 2-3 

That's 9 out of his 15 goals that were vital in getting Real the 3 points in 7 games.

Yeah fair enough, I was a bit lazy in what I said so I do apologise for that. I do think that if Morata didn't play in those games, someone else would've stepped up tbh. Such is the nature of that Real squad. 

When comes to goals, both Van Persie and Drogba peaked late. Persie scored over 15 PL in his last two seasons for arsenal. 

Morata IMO is absolutely brilliant player. Dont look at stats, look his games. Whenever I saw Juve play, he was amazing. His ball skill ability is bar to no other striker aside from established Aguero, Suarez etc...

Its true he doesnt score high amount of goals (tho this season he has like 27 and considering he didnt play that much, its impressive. 

I have no doubt he can improve finishing even further. And Conte appears to love him too. 

What is most important is his character. He is always working hard, he always looks to impress, he is very intelligent player. Lukaku is the exact opposite. Stands in the attack, thinks he is already best in world and complains all the time.

Its true Morata is better along another striker and he IMO isnt worth 60m, but I still think he can become world class striker. If Conte gives him chance, he will take it. 

Bottom line he suits our profile perfectly. He can score with feet or head. He has good link up, he is young and has quite big potential. No, he isnt close to his peak. His ball ability is too good for a striker and he will improve other aspects. 

Belotti isnt bad option either, but one season without any taste of european football doesnt convince me yet. 

Tbh of the options available, I would go for Morata (and heck buy Isco too :) )

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Great information. Thank you.

Interesting thoughts in this and your earlier post about Lukaku too.

Admittedly wrong on garbage time on Morata, but I still stand by everything else. Those aren't difficult teams for Real to score against. Sure, Morata did well to anyway, but that doesn't propel him to suddenly be this £50/60m striker.

4 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

His ball skill ability is bar to no other striker aside from established Aguero, Suarez etc...

That's only because most of the other strikers coming up that people compare him to are pure 9s, which Morata isn't. He isn't some skill wizard though, some are making him sound like prime Ronaldo Lima when it comes to this, but I don't see it. If anything, his ability on the ball reminds me of prime Torres, maybe slightly better. 

Admittedly wrong on garbage time on Morata, but I still stand by everything else. Those aren't difficult teams for Real to score against. Sure, Morata did well to anyway, but that doesn't propel him to suddenly be this £50/60m striker.

You realy cant point out that he scores against easy teams lol. He performed brilliantly in almost every juve game in CL, scoring against Real, Barca, Bayern, City,...

Drogba wasnt 30 goals a season striker either. Hardly was he even a clinical finisher in true meaning. But he had physical and technical skill. And he was intelligent. Always performed against top teams. 

His finish was never as good lets say Lewandowski or Suarez, but his allround skill still got him to high amount of goals almost every season. Which is same for Morata. 

He is hard worker, quick, skilled with great attitude. 

If we compare between Morata and Lewandowski, obviously everyone picks Lewa. But when we compare with Lukaku, Morata is better choice. 

If Lukaku guaranteed goals against any opponent ok, but he doesnt. He is poor against better opponents. And what else he offers beside goals? If Costa was better on ball, our attack would be twice as deadly. Lukaku is same like Costa with less anger issues but poor mentality against top teams.

Morata at least offers great linkup which would be very useful for Eden and Pedro/Sanchez. If he adds even more goals, he will be perfect for our system.

Im sure Conte prefers Morata. I have no doubt. But the board might go for Lukaku.

I will always rate players based on their attitude before talent. And Morata is miles ahead of Lukaku there.

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I genuinely think any decent striker will prosper at Real, I don't think it's something incredible, in fact it's quite normal that Real Madrid's 2nd choice striker scores a decent amount goals, important ones here and there too. Real's 2nd string side is still an excellent team. Adebayor a few years ago at Real was pretty good coming off the bench and starting games here and there too - doesn't mean he's a top striker. What I'm trying to say is that his goals as second choice striker at Real Madrid don't mean that much - any good striker will thrive at Real. Another example? Javier Hernandez - plucked a few goals at Real too. Morata is better than both these guys, sure, but what I'm trying to get at is that you'd expect him to score against these teams he started against (admittedly, I was wrong on him scoring in garbage time). He's been good, I've said that already, but not fantastic. Now, if a second choice striker at Chelsea for example, pulled off those sort of numbers, with Chelsea's 2nd string side? Sure - now that's amazing.

My main point is that people are overstating the goals he's scored too much, with the reasons stated above. It's not enough for me to convince me that he's worth over 50m. The main thing that pushes Lukaku ahead of him for me is that I genuinely think Romelu just needs a better platform - at his best, he's more devastating than Morata. Can Chelsea provide that platform? If we spend well this summer, and taking into consideration Conte's system? Yes, I believe he can. 

Yo, respek Adebayor. He was a very talented striker and still had a nice career despite his stank attitude. Not the greatest goal-scorer but he was a target man, offered great physical presence with his speed, strength, mobility, duel strength (both over the ground and in the air) and also created chances for his team mates. He was like Drogba without the big game record.