Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Then you can't have been watching very closely, or more likely your memory has gone into highly selective mode.

Sorry to be so definite about this but it's the only way to express how strongly I disagree on this point. Think we'll have to leave this in the agree to differ pile. But... :)

Check the action at around 4:15 in the video below. Anyone who has been watching Chelsea since 2004 has seen hundreds of such examples, and I do not exaggerate.

It is worth watching the whole video if you're so inclined because it includes more positive contributions from The Drog. I'm not saying he didn't find ways to be effective. He did. Sometimes devastatingly so. He just wasn't the ultra smooth technician I'm reading your comments to be suggesting he was/is.

That video wasn't selected to make my point. It was the first listed when I searched YouTube for "Drogba Vs".

I totally agree. Drogba was good with the ball, but that's it. I mean... Dude was strong as a bull, and actually fast enough (at least when he was younger than 30). If his dribbling/ball control/close control were that great, it would mean that he had strength, speed, and great technique - full package -  which wasn't the case. He mainly used his strength, and even when he'd failed to control ball perfectly, he was just too strong in shielding the ball with his body.

Berbatov, Henry and Ibrahimović are the best examples of Godish ball controlling, and Drogba wasn't so close to that level. Van Persie was also brilliant, but he didn't keep that level for so long as others mentioned.

I think Drogba and Morata are in same bracket, ball controlling-wise. But, Morata is sure better and faster dribbler.

He's such an effective player, his downfall is when he starts falling to ground easy and throwing his hands at the official, but he's learning that's England.

He's not a bully of a forward he is like the Milk Tray man, he's subtle, good at what he does and has a real element of surprise about and is fucking great at what he does.

Looks to be stronger in recent games. Not getting brushed off the ball as easily as before. Needs to keep it up and great that he's continued his goalscoring form.

On a different note, slightly concerned about him suffering potential fatigue in the coming games. With Batshuayi out for a few games (he doesn't play a lot granted but still), he'll definitely be playing every game in coming weeks. Surprised Conte didn't take him off earlier.

4 hours ago, Pizy said:

I just can't imagine we'd look nearly as good had we bought Lukaku instead. Big Rom will score a bunch of goals this season but Morata is absolutely miles ahead of him as a footballer. He offers so much more. Morata doesn't completely rely on service. We saw up close a couple of weeks back how Rom looks when we staved him of service.

One man's backheel is the other man's first touch :D

(I still can't forgive myself for preferring Rom over Morata during the transfer window)

Imagine if we also had another player in our attack that's at Hazard & Morata's level instead of Willian and Pedro. Like say, Alexis Sanchez.
We've been crying out for someone like that for years. Got Willian, Cuadrado & Pedro to an extent instead.

Mertens, Bale, Sanchez & Draxler could all be obtainable

11 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

We've been crying out for someone like that for years. Got Willian, Cuadrado & Pedro to an extent instead.

Mertens, Bale, Sanchez & Draxler could all be obtainable

Mertens too old IMO, we need somone in the age around Eden and Morata to play together for couple years (hopefuly Eden stays). Bale is injured too much and too big risk considering his wages and fee Real would demand. I cant say about Draxler, he is sometimes good sometimes poor, but I dont watch him every week to judge. Sanchez IMO should be another pass. Frustrating player quite often and his tantrums at Arsenal, despite the team playing like shit, he is a professional and acts like a little girl everytime they are losingy a personality I wouldnt have here. 

We should go all in for either Dybala or Fekir, or maybe Lemar IMO. 

Mertens too old IMO, we need somone in the age around Eden and Morata to play together for couple years (hopefuly Eden stays). Bale is injured too much and too big risk considering his wages and fee Real would demand. I cant say about Draxler, he is sometimes good sometimes poor, but I dont watch him every week to judge. Sanchez IMO should be another pass. Frustrating player quite often and his tantrums at Arsenal, despite the team playing like shit, he is a professional and acts like a little girl everytime they are losingy a personality I wouldnt have here. 
We should go all in for either Dybala or Fekir, or maybe Lemar IMO. 
I would pass on Lemar but the other two are good options (Dybala would cost Pogba type of money, though). The problem would be accommodating either of them with our current set up, as neither would be content being second choice.