test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Skipper

29. Álvaro Morata

Started by The Skipper,

2,387 posts in this topic

When he isn't sulking, moaning to the ref, and throwing himself to the ground at the slightest contact he's actually a very solid player. Go figure!

Id still rather start Giroud against the top sides but it would be great if Morata can build up his confidence against the smaller ones. 

When Morata scores, it's a bonus. I don't go in to games anymore thinking Morata would score. Decent overall performance from him yesterday, I have to put my hands up on that. However, did screw up badly on our last attack of the game, which reminds us he's still has that weakness in him, and not to get carried away.

We can be calm about it because we won 3-1, but that move also reminded me of Arsenal away last season, when he had that chance to win the game just after Arsenal equalised. Yet another 1v1 he couldn't finish.

Johnnyeye likes this

Better that they do good then it gives us opportunity in the summer to sell if we can upgrade. 

Willian doing good, and seems like Barca still interested. 

Keep doing good so that if we want to sell we have a good selling value. 

Johnnyeye likes this

He's doing better under Sarri, hopefully he misses only one clear chance per game and scores the others. We could still challenge for the title.

Gabriel Jesus: 1 goal. 296min/Goal.

- Bobby Firmino: 2 goals. 414min/Goal.

- Romelu Lukaku: 4 goals. 192min/Goal.

- ALVARO MORATA: 5 goals. 121min/Goal.

- Mo Salah: 5 goals. 189min/Goal.

- Lacazette: 5 goals. 161min/Goal.

- Harry Kane: 6 goals. 164min/Goal.

Like it or not but he won us a game we did not get play well in. That is what strikers are meant to do. Dont care if he missed that 1 on 1. Look at Lewandowskinor Aubameyang they also miss most of their 1 on 1s. It is about a decision and when the keeper makes the same move its bad luck. But other than last season Morata where he would fall over or roll the ball to the keeper in all his missed ones this season made a decent confident decision and was kept out by some great goalkeeping. No shame in that IMO. Should keep on the good work and we will have a good price for him

kellzfresh, OneMoSalah and akgw13 like this

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Like it or not but he won us a game we did not get play well in. That is what strikers are meant to do. Dont care if he missed that 1 on 1. Look at Lewandowskinor Aubameyang they also miss most of their 1 on 1s. It is about a decision and when the keeper makes the same move its bad luck. But other than last season Morata where he would fall over or roll the ball to the keeper in all his missed ones this season made a decent confident decision and was kept out by some great goalkeeping. No shame in that IMO. Should keep on the good work and we will have a good price for him

What I liked the most was that he didnt fall on the ground at any opportunity. I think that is worse than even missing chances because our gameplay will be interrupted by constant loss of possession by morata. But against palace, morata used first time passes to quickly get the ball to another chelsea player, and avoid holding unto it looking for a foul. 

We already know his weakness with his finishing, anytime he has time to think before shooting, he misses 9 times out of 10. But anytime he has no time to think, he usually scores. The falling on the ground and losing the ball everytime was a bigger problem to me, and if he can learn to get the ball to a teammate quickly with first time passes or be strong on his feet, the team as a whole will play much better.

Johnnyeye likes this

On 11/5/2018 at 4:41 AM, kellzfresh said:

He's doing better under Sarri, hopefully he misses only one clear chance per game and scores the others. We could still challenge for the title.

Interesting list to put things in perspective. As one who thinks Morata has good technique, I find that often the problem is not so much his finishing, as most folk complain, but rather his lack of intensity at times, which makes his work rate just not good enough at this level. Say, when he's in an off-day, he's just not participating enough to be an asset.

All players in that list, with Lukaku being the obvious exception, do a hell lot more even when not scoring. Mo Salah would be a player who does not really need goals to make an impact, and the fact he is even in that list is pretty impressive.

Sarri said it best: Morata's "fragile." While most people think mentally, I think also physically and they happen to be linked: if a player is physically weak and loses most physical disputes, he will naturally lose confidence as a result. I've seen players bulk up shortly after joining a PL club, but it does not look like Morata has been hitting the gym - hope I'm wrong.

Johnnyeye likes this

On 11/5/2018 at 0:41 PM, kellzfresh said:

Can I ask where did you get this list from? But I just realised this is a cherry picked list to favour Morata as other goalscorers such as Aguero, Sane and Auba ain't there.

Also Mo Salah and Firmino aren't CFs/strikers (or at least not regularly played as strikers).

EDIT: Found the list on BBC. Yeah, the three players I mentioned above (+ Hazard and Martial) have better x min/goal.

Johnnyeye likes this

2 hours ago, Mana said:

Can I ask where did you get this list from? But I just realised this is a cherry picked list to favour Morata as other goalscorers such as Aguero, Sane and Auba ain't there.

Also Mo Salah and Firmino aren't CFs/strikers (or at least not regularly played as strikers).

EDIT: Found the list on BBC. Yeah, the three players I mentioned above (+ Hazard and Martial) have better x min/goal.

I know Aubameyang, Hazard and Martial are doing better than Morata. But I just wanted to compare morata to our rivals top strikers (Arsenal, ManUtd, Liverpool, Spurs) to see that they aren't fairing much better than Morata, especially in recent weeks.

Mana likes this

Chelsea’s Álvaro Morata ‘could not have felt more down’ after injury last season

“The most important thing is that, finally, I have found the right way and my head is OK,” Morata said. “In football physical condition is veryimportant but the head is the most important thing.

“If you don’t have the head, if the mentality is not good, then you are in trouble. I’m better.

“No one, only my wife, knows how big the last year was. Now it’s OK. In the last month of last season I was down, down, down, down. I cannot be more down. When you touch the limit, the only thing you can do is to come back.

“It takes long because I had an injury, I was not fit when playing, but now I feel good. I had a period where everything … if it was raining, I was angry because it’s raining; if I miss, it’s because the pitch is too wet. It was only excuses. It is not good.

“Honestly, last year I was always joking in the dressing room at the beginning because I started well and was scoring goals. But the injury, it killed me, because the doctors didn’t know what I had. It was strange. Sometimes when you know you are out for one month, it’s OK in your head, because you know it is one month. But when you are trying to give your best and you are not in your best moment, it’s difficult. Now, that’s the past.

“Everyone can have a bad period in their life. But we are famous, we have a lot of things. Sometimes people think we are not human, with no feelings, with no problems. The important thing is to find the right balance.uare at the Emirates, young butants and bollards – Football Weekly

“Now, I have, and I am very happy. The important thing is the team. I know that sometimes I am in the middle of all the criticism when the team drops [points] or when the team loses. But it doesn’t matter. I want to win with this team and we have a very good chance.”

“I suffered a lot in the past and needed to score three for myself, for my team and for the supporters,” he said. “It was very important for me. Honestly, I think I missed because I had only this in my head.

“If I don’t think, probably I score. In the last 10 minutes I only have in my head ‘I want to bring the ball home’ and that’s why I missed. The goalkeeper did well. I thought he’d go down and I forgot he’s a keeper who is two metres tall and that’s why I failed. But I’m improving and this is the important thing.”

On 11/6/2018 at 3:35 AM, Magic Lamps said:

Tbh he always blasts straight in GK, misses the whole goal or tries poor attempt in lob. Its gonna be one of the three. Almost never its incredible save by gk but rather poor shot.

Suarez misses plenty of easiest chances, but he offers plenty in attacking play. Linkup, dribbling, creating and poses serious threat from anywhere. Morata isnt either a clinical finisher, nor someone that would be realy linking well with the team build up. And he certainly isnt hard worker. He also seeems to lose confidence realy quickly, something Suarez, Lewandowski etc dont.

I wouldnt be anywhere as harsh on him if he actualy fought for the team and gave his best every game. But he is always like ''meh if i play well; cool, if not; cool too'' Thats his issue. He is sulking and complaining too much. This isnt boy scouts league.

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

I know Aubameyang, Hazard and Martial are doing better than Morata. But I just wanted to compare morata to our rivals top strikers (Arsenal, ManUtd, Liverpool, Spurs) to see that they aren't fairing much better than Morata, especially in recent weeks.

Others playing shit shouldnt justify our players can play shit. Lukaku isnt anywhere the quality you want to compare your striker with if you want success. Firmino and Salah aint even strikers. Aguero offers much more than just goals to the team...

And Morata realy picked form in past month or so, he was shit in almost every game prior. Cant be said for most of other strikers.

kellzfresh likes this

3 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Firmino and Salah aint even strikers.

LOLOLOLOL

Firminho not a striker?

I draw the line here, this is some divvy shit.

5 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Others playing shit shouldnt justify our players can play shit. Lukaku isnt anywhere the quality you want to compare your striker with if you want success. Firmino and Salah aint even strikers. Aguero offers much more than just goals to the team...

And Morata realy picked form in past month or so, he was shit in almost every game prior. Cant be said for most of other strikers.

Morata was shit in some games yes but Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero don't always perform 10/10 every week but they get goals in games and their fans don't say anything bad. Both are top top players but some times only really get involved by taking 7-10 shots a game (3/4s of them from absolutely ridiculous positions) or scoring a goal. Aguero and Kanes all round game is very good but still you don't see them rant and rave about it every week? Because they don't always deliver a 10/10 performance every week which people seem to think is 100% possible over the space of a 40 game season. Even Ronaldo and Messi play shit sometimes, but they'll play bad and score or play good and not score etc.

Also that Lukaku comment, let's not forget half the forum probably wanted to resign him a few summer's ago, even the manager wanted to. I don't disagree that he's overrated perhaps and his technical skills aren't amazing but if hes scoring 20-30 goals a season with average technique, he's delivering something.

Not a post directed at anybody in particular, a lot of this shit is on social media, but honestly it's quite ridiculous sometimes regarding Morata and other players here. Morata can play well not score get crucified for not scoring then score 4 in a row and get crucified only scoring by looks of it. The first 10 games of his Chelsea career people were probably saying he was one of the top 3 or 5 strikers in the PL... so it just shows how fickle people can be.

I get an unbearable feeling that regardless of which player we sign or whatever, somebody will find some stupid reason to complain. You find a striker who plays 10/10 each week, always scores goals, always does everything every match he plays? Your not going to find anybody. Was the same with Costa, scored 20 goals a season but oh he is too physical and not technical enough... or he doesn't want to be here he woukd rather be in China so sell him etc... it's fucking ridiculous in all honestly not sure if these folk are actually fans of Chelsea or wind up merchants 😂 now it's Kantes turn as well it would seem, he can't play Sarri ball etc cause he cannot tackle someone else if our team has the ball, he can only play as a pure DM etc... never seen so much shite in all my life, the guy is a 2 time PL winner and world cup winner in an amazing French team if he could only tackle he wouldn't play for the French national team ffs 😂 and a lot of crap about Azpilicueta where there's some sort of assumption he's finished because he's had mixed performances after 2 years playing in a back 3... Jesus  

Thor and eemanyooel like this

13 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Morata was shit in some games yes but Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero don't always perform 10/10 every week but they get goals in games and their fans don't say anything bad. Both are top top players but some times only really get involved by taking 7-10 shots a game (3/4s of them from absolutely ridiculous positions) or scoring a goal. Aguero and Kanes all round game is very good but still you don't see them rant and rave about it every week? Because they don't always deliver a 10/10 performance every week which people seem to think is 100% possible over the space of a 40 game season. Even Ronaldo and Messi play shit sometimes, but they'll play bad and score or play good and not score etc.

Also that Lukaku comment, let's not forget half the forum probably wanted to resign him a few summer's ago, even the manager wanted to. I don't disagree that he's overrated perhaps and his technical skills aren't amazing but if hes scoring 20-30 goals a season with average technique, he's delivering something.

Not a post directed at anybody in particular, a lot of this shit is on social media, but honestly it's quite ridiculous sometimes regarding Morata and other players here. Morata can play well not score get crucified for not scoring then score 4 in a row and get crucified only scoring by looks of it. The first 10 games of his Chelsea career people were probably saying he was one of the top 3 or 5 strikers in the PL... so it just shows how fickle people can be.

I get an unbearable feeling that regardless of which player we sign or whatever, somebody will find some stupid reason to complain. You find a striker who plays 10/10 each week, always scores goals, always does everything every match he plays? Your not going to find anybody. Was the same with Costa, scored 20 goals a season but oh he is too physical and not technical enough... or he doesn't want to be here he woukd rather be in China so sell him etc... it's fucking ridiculous in all honestly not sure if these folk are actually fans of Chelsea or wind up merchants 😂 now it's Kantes turn as well it would seem, he can't play Sarri ball etc cause he cannot tackle someone else if our team has the ball, he can only play as a pure DM etc... never seen so much shite in all my life, the guy is a 2 time PL winner and world cup winner in an amazing French team if he could only tackle he wouldn't play for the French national team ffs 😂 and a lot of crap about Azpilicueta where there's some sort of assumption he's finished because he's had mixed performances after 2 years playing in a back 3... Jesus  

I always wanted to keep Costa until there would be proper replacement available. 

I stand corrected for Lukaku, he is big fish in small pond. Delivers against poor teams, but goes missing against big. His record numbers dont tell the story at all. 

I would have Kane or Aguero and wouldnt complain. They do their job, simple as that. Sure not 10/10 every game but solid 7/8 in most. Morata was about 9 in recent games but 4 in august and september. 

I was more happy with Etoo being our striker back then than with Morata so far. But he can improve for sure. At the beggining I was realy excited, but later on he became one whinny bitch and we need proper striker up front. Costa wasnt scoring each game, but would take his presence ahead of invisible crying Morata anyday. 

16 hours ago, Vesper said:

LOLOLOLOL

Firminho not a striker?

I draw the line here, this is some divvy shit.

You cant possibly be serious about Firmino being a striker? 

He is more of central forward or secondary/supporting striker/False 9. 

13 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

He often plays a straight striker role aka CF, as well as secondary striker

33 minutes ago, Vesper said:

He often plays a straight striker role aka CF, as well as secondary striker

Wait what? "Straight" striker isnt central forward lady...

You can throw Hazard in Morata place and he wont be a striker, but cf.

Firmino isnt striker either, but CF, because his role in Klopp system isnt to just score goals, but set them up.

Just check this out;

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-Center-Forward-CF-and-Striker-ST-Is-it-based-only-on-the-formation

48 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Honestly hate to be awkward but isn't a central forward a striker? I know theres different types but that two phrases are one and all the same. Firminio has been playing as a CF since Klopp went to Liverpool no point disputing it. 

51 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

I always wanted to keep Costa until there would be proper replacement available. 

I stand corrected for Lukaku, he is big fish in small pond. Delivers against poor teams, but goes missing against big. His record numbers dont tell the story at all. 

I would have Kane or Aguero and wouldnt complain. They do their job, simple as that. Sure not 10/10 every game but solid 7/8 in most. Morata was about 9 in recent games but 4 in august and september. 

I was more happy with Etoo being our striker back then than with Morata so far. But he can improve for sure. At the beggining I was realy excited, but later on he became one whinny bitch and we need proper striker up front. Costa wasnt scoring each game, but would take his presence ahead of invisible crying Morata anyday. 

Honestly wouldn't say Morata played that poorly in some of those games the months before but it's typical of Chelsea fans to talk down their players, the same has been going on with Alonso, Kante and Azpi this season. Just be glad we don't have Torres upfront. If Morata was shit in August/September then don't know how bad Torres would have been.

Also regarding Costa when he didn't score people were losing their minds... although he is undoubtedly missed because he can affect games without scoring by using his presence like you said. Morata is struggling because he prefers to run behind teams and there's no space because of teams playing with a low block. When we do get at teams we are constantly trying to playing through the middle, Ruud made an interesting point on MOTD, the service isn't always there, get the ball in the box sooner and the guy may get more chances. It's not the reason for everything but it's a factor along with his loss of form, confidence and injuries he had last season too. Still think there's a top player in there.

Vesper likes this